They still put out records in Jamaica

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I know that most of you (OK, all but about three of you) aren't really into new dancehall, but here's a little half-hour mix I just finished, courtesy of the folks at the These Rocks Pop blog:http://theserockspop.blogspot.com/2007/12/duppy-ranks.htmlJUGGLIN' POPROCKSTRACKLISTING:Air Waves Riddim:Wayne Wonder - Tom SawyersMavado - Pon Di Gully SideBeenie Man - Product of the GhettoRae Riddim:Timberlee ft. Ward 21 - Bubble Like SoupCobra - Seh So NuhFrisco Kid - Nuh Beg People FriendBuju Banton - FlavaMr. Lexx - GunOverdrive Riddim:Pinchers - Ra-Tat-tatAssassin - All Who NeverBaby Cham - What You Think The Police Can DoBee Hive Riddim:Lady Saw - Weh Dem Man DehElephant Man - MoreVybz Kartel - Money Fi SpendSour Diesel Riddim:Ms. Thing - Fight Over ManSean Paul - She Want ItSizzla - YaahdieReverse Riddim:Tony Curtis, Mr. Pepper, G Maffia - This YearBeenie Man - Reverse Di TingBusy Signal - Black And White Affair

Comments

• D/Ling now-- looks nice, Ras.

Re: your subject line, is it just me or did they forget to put out any hit records in JA this year? 2007 has been shit for new reggae people wanna hear in the clurb.

• Learn me!

This looks edutaining...

• D/Ling now-- looks nice, Ras.

Re: your subject line, is it just me or did they forget to put out any hit records in JA this year? 2007 has been shit for new reggae people wanna hear in the clurb.

Well, this mix is made up mostly of stuff I've been playing out in clubs over the past several months! The RAE RIDDIM in particular has worked really well for me. It's produced by Ward 21, dudes who were around in the early to mid-90s and really know how to create an updated version of that sound.

The other genius aspect of that riddim: they voiced veteran DJs on it who really know how to ride that kinda track: Buju, Cobra, Frisco Kid, and my favorite track of all, Mr. Lexx aka Lexxus.

• can't wait to hear this this evening, I've been looking for some new riddims...also do you buy local or hit up on-line. I'm pretty much an ernieb's fan but he doesn't have everything...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sounds hot! Thank You!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Sweet!
    I haven't gotten anything brand new on the dancehall tip in years.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    half-hour

It's over too soon!

• half-hour

It's over too soon!

"That's what she said."

(I'll take that as a compliment in the "leave 'em wanting more" (NO PAUSE-O) sense, so thanks!)

• hot mix...but please, can you recomend another online source besides ebreggae.com? He's only got one track on one of these riddims, pretty weak...

• hot mix...but please, can you recomend another online source besides ebreggae.com? He's only got one track on one of these riddims, pretty weak...

Hmm...I'll admit that I get a lot of promo CDs from various labels (I write a reggae column for XLR8R) and I buy some stuff from Ernie B. I also DL certain things because there's a long lag time between when something drops and when it drops ON VINYL.

I haven't looked into it too closely, but you should check out soundquake.com, as they now have a download section.

• -

• But of course--sorry I forgot.

I'm still bummed that Wisdom Records closed earlier this year. Best dancehall record store on the entire West Coast, bar none, and I was lucky enough to have it right here in SF. The only store I've been in that even compares is Ethiopian Taste in Brooklyn (haven't had the pleasure of visiting Deadly Dragon's physical store).

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    try http://www.oj36records.com/ they ship direct from jamdown, are cheeep and always are quick with the new release, they do somehow always manage to have the worst presses tho, i don't know how thats possible, but its true

• try http://www.oj36records.com/ they ship direct from jamdown, are cheeep and always are quick with the new release, they do somehow always manage to have the worst presses tho, i don't know how thats possible, but its true

I used to buy from them, oh, 6 or 7 years ago? Don't know what it's like now, but back then, you had to order at least 20 records (usually not a problem) and they only shipped on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but they'd FedEx everything.

And as far as bad pressings, that's pretty much all Jamaican records. OJ36, however, had the funny JA pressings of non-JA shit, like my 45 of Mary J's "Family Affair" I got from them. What?