WEEKEND FINDS !?!?!?!

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Did anyone buy any records this weekend?I was pretty busy myself...Velvet Hammers are sealed!Caviar 12" is sealed!Herman is sealed!Sam Signaoff is sealed!Jake Holmes is sealed!ADOR "let it all hang out" 12"White Horse 12" is sealed!Chris Thomas "celebrity funk" 12"s are sealedDonald Banks & Natures Creation 12"s are sealed$10, everything works!

Comments

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Hot damn! Is those Velvet Hammer records LPs? I didn't know there was one.

• Hot damn! Is those Velvet Hammer records LPs? I didn't know there was one.

Yes indeedy, I am very tempted to open one.

• wow -- nice finds bass-fever. good shit there.

went to manchester for the first time this weekend (great city) - and popped round a few record shops in the northern quarter. i saw loads of stuff im after but i held off buying everything as i havent got much money!! (although the prices werent too bad considering it's a big city) - so i just picked up the bits i thought were really reasonably priced.

the COMBO FH is some czech jazz rock - but isnt really my bag. anyone want to trade??

been after the first MAN lp for ages so im pleased to get a copy for alright loot!! got a few of the 7's in the post, though.

7's are:
    SONICS - "psycho/have love will travel" (cheap 2-sider reish to play out when im a bit pissed. absolutely killer tunes.)
    ARCHITECTURE IN HELSINKI - "hold music" (pretty fun)
    APHRODITE'S CHILD - "magic mirror" (ace - good drums)
    CEM KARACA & MOGOLLAR - "gel gel"
    MARSHA HUNT'S 22 - "(oh no, not) the beast day" (savage drums!!)

• i really like that copper plated integrated circuit record. I forget the track name but its an original composition, maybe had the word "jazz" in the title, is a real nice track.

• Did anyone buy any records this weekend?
    I was pretty busy myself...

Velvet Hammers are sealed!

Those Velvet Hammers are nice, I've yet to run into that record.

I posted these in the other weekend finds post ("post firing") but I'll put 'em up again:

autographs are to legendary Detroit DJ the Electrifying Mojo -

MCF

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i`m keen to see sheep posting here. he has probably traded some real heat with grope.. those russian records were off the chain sir!

i bough these:

terumasa hino - into eternity
    charles tolliver - and his allstars
    ali akhbar khan - karuna supreme
    archie shepp & the family of percussion - here comes the family

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Nice LP - the main cut for me is "I don't need Mary" - nice drum heavy midtempo funky soul all about the doob.

You should definitely crack one open - and I know that ladyboygrimsby was looking for a copy a while back....if you want to offload.

• Great weekend!
    All real world finds (including a few store walk-ins and some which came in a two box donation from a top editor of the Washington Post where I used to work). These are only the ones I kept, got a brand new wall of raers at the shop. Here goes:

The top left LP is a Soviet era LP by Alla Pugachova called "the Mirror of the Soul" The first track is called
    "Witch-Doctor's Tambourine" from the film "the Centre Forward from the Skies"

The "Electric Mud" had the booklet which has always eluded me. The Bo Diddley vinyl is OG NM. The Phil Cohran may be my find of the year.

The "Mountain Moving Day" album is my new favorite lesbian LP. Blackbyrds was a mint up. Third Rail vinyl is perfect. If anyone has a better cover, holler.

Sorry I didn't photograph the other side of the flexi but there are two different songs on there. There were two flexis so one is up for sale/trade although I'm keeping the booklet.

• there was a weekend finds thread already, but somehow it slipped away.

so heres my crap again:

this is kind of a summary of the last 2 weeks: some trades/hook-ups with Age via a mini-strut convergence at SJ/SF[GM] plus good Haight wanderings [thanks again man! good times and great records!], a pile of random-ass old portables scored at a classic brady-bunch 50s/60s house im helping an estate dealing friend clean out, and some plain old finds in my neck of the woods.

^^Age with the latin hooks; and what i now feel is the best chad and jeremy record.

^^ more Age good stuff plus the female soul finds ive been lacking. and an og black star finally.

^^ first copy of reality ive ever found, and its a sketchy vg-. Ernie Johnson was suprisingly good, sounding older than the 1985 date.

^^ Nephi is horrid/hilarious but i heard some nice little bits before he starts singing.

^^ was suprised to see this Swamp Dogg that i didnt know existed. Seems to be self released?

^^ some minty / rare childrens records. Byrds scholastic 45 is also tuff, what a pretty sleeve. john tavener is maybe the hardest lp on Apple(?), and is a very weird album.

^^ the johnny colon is mint and is the splurge of the post, but still a fair deal (imo) at GM. The raer Cash was 'free' via trading in a pile of crap at amoeba LA and getting suprisingly stupid $ in trade. Acid from Age! extra htf comp with the GOOD 'across the universe' on it. what can we get for .63?

^^1985 rap that im digging. has a much older school vibe to it.

^^ a box of blank flexis, plus one they recorded on back in god knows when.
    funny kids telling bizarre stories. whatever recorded it hasnt turned up yet.

^^ a Fada and a Philco. not so portable, but neat looking.

^^ an uber cool old japanese portable whose nameplate fell off, anyone know what this is? it has a am/fm radio built in...

^^the 1949 RCA Bakelite 45 player

...just back from the Haight... kinda looks like we copped very different substances!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i`m keen to see sheep posting here. he has probably traded some real heat with grope.. those russian records were off the chain sir!

hey man, thanks for the dinner hommie... still aint had time to catch up on e-mails to people...

here's some pics from diggin', not pics of stuff i got, but grope came through on the trades and i copped some HEAT in the stores... easily the best dig i had in Europe yet...

p.s. AGE, I haven't forgot about you hommie. I finally let the Symposium go to Grope, but still got the Aposento

peace.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

^^ an uber cool old japanese portable whose nameplate fell off, anyone know what this is? it has a am/fm radio built in...

I have this exact same model at home. I love how the 45 adapter flips around and recesses into the patter. A great design.
    The brand is 'electro-voice' (or something similar). Hit me on the PM if you want to know more.

• KARLOPHONE: that Swamp Dogg album (Gag A Maggott) was his fourth, released in '73. Although it was on his own label (Stone Dogg), it was distributed by TK, and like a lot of pre-'76 albums put out by that company, isn't easy to find (although I've run up on Swamp Dogg's Greatest Hits, the other Stone Dogg/TK album, on occasion).

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

why wait? records are meant to be listened to , correct?

• Ditto. Things from the last couple of weeks... a few from the post but the majority are real world. Been busy for a change.

Gene Harris / Tone Tantrum ('As' is killer - fav Stevie cover?)
    Miles Davis / In Concert (Genius. One of my fav records ever. Nice Columbia 1st press upgrade)
    Gerald Wilson Orch / California Soul (ehhh)
    Operation Breadbasket Orch / On The Case (Is that the P.Monch 'Push' sample? Pity album is rubbish)

Some Anime ST ??? (got one weird J.Carpenter-esque cosmic disco type thing on there)
    Whitfeild Bros / Rampage (banging Soulfire 10" - this is a later reissue right?)
    Brick / same (Living From My Mind is ok)
    Janne SChaffer / Katharsis (samples)

Stevie Wonder / My Cherie Amour (minty 1st press... nice addition)
    Jamie Abersold / Vol 5 Jazz and Rock (nice bass / drums loop on here)
    Curtis Knight / ??? (like this... never really heard his stuff before. Aust pressing)
    Joe Henderson / Live At The Blue Note Vol 1 (80s session from my favourite horn player ever... in a trio.... with Charlie Haden and Al Foster... heaven)

7s
    Ohio Players / Trespassing (never heard their early soul stuff before)
    B.W.Soul / Marvin's Groove
    Stylistics / You Are Beautiful (the music sucks... the wet t-shirt pic sleeve babe is
    Carol Jones / Don't Destroy Me (bugger.... strings not horns... still a cracker tune)
    Dee Dee Warick / It's Not Fair (love the intro)
    Chuck Jackson / Tell Him (actually got it for the flip Lonely Am I, a great little soul jazz thing in 3/4, sounds like they checked out Bobby Timmon's This Here)
    Lee Morgan / Hey Chico (Blue Note latin jazz by numbers... luke warm about it... Morgan is the business though)
    Burgess Gardner & The Soul Crusaders / Do It ( can't go past wha guitar and strings for the dancefloor)
    Freddy King / In The Open (really like this - early chugging blues thing on Federal)

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

2007 is that year.
    first anita meyer then robert long...

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts

Nice LP - the main cut for me is "I don't need Mary" - nice drum heavy midtempo funky soul all about the doob.

You should definitely crack one open - and I know that ladyboygrimsby was looking for a copy a while back....if you want to offload.

I picked up one of these after Belson played a track at one of the old VV meets!

• Yes indeedy, I am very tempted to open one.

you clearly aren't the mad collecto. I have hundreds of sealed records that are waiting for open copies to be found.

• you clearly aren't the mad collecto. I have hundreds of sealed records that are waiting for open copies to be found.

HELP THE BRUTHA OUT. 'BEATS IS CLEARLY JUST SCRAPING BY AND NEEDS SOULSTRUT'S HELP TO FIND CERTAIN FUNK RARITIES. BECAUSE HE "ONLY" HAS A SEALED COPY. NOTED>

• Norman Connors - You Are My Starship
    The New Concert Orchestra/The New String Quartet
    Earl Klugh - S/T
    Herbie Mann - The Best of Herbie Mann
    Paul Mauriat & His Orchestra - Blooming Hits
    The Commodores - Greatest Hits
    Switched On Rock - The MOOG Machine
    George Benson - In Flight
    Julie Druscoll, Brian Auger & The Trinity - Streetnoise
    Odetta - My Eyes Have Seen
    Ahmad Jamal Trio - At The Pershing (But not for me)
    Stanley Turrentine - Pieces of Dreams
    David Newman - Mr. Fathead
    The Art of Hank Crawford - The Atlantic Years
    Eddie Harris - The Electrifying
    William Bell - Coming Back for More
    Jean Pierre Rampal & Lily Laskine - Sakura
    The 5th Dimension - Individually & Collectively
    The 5th Dimension - The Byrds
    Sun-Ra and his Arkestra - Strange Strings
    Gladys Knight & The Pips - I Feel A Song

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

you clearly aren't the mad collecto. I have hundreds of sealed records that are waiting for open copies to be found.

Although I know you are joking , I do find it interesting how many people will get a sealed copy (or 2!!) of a record that they want to hear , but actually have to think to themselves "Should I open it"?

c'mon....