SNL - SECOND SEASON ON DVD THIS WEEK

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good news - they're not gonna wait till Christmas for season three of SNL. That bad boy is comin' out next month.

This would have been when the show started hitting it's stride and became what we know it as today. Blues Brothers, Swinging Czech Brothers, "Jane, you ignorant slut," Elvis Costello stopping "Less Than Zero" to play "Radio Radio," the classic opening credits where they're showing the cast walking through the streets of NYC (rather than using colorized B&W promo pix), alla that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Trust me, even though Chevy Chase was gone by then, Season Three is what most people think of when SNL's classic 1970's lineup comes to mind.

Trust me, even though Chevy Chase was gone by then, Season Three is what most people think of when SNL's classic 1970's lineup comes to mind.

copped.

but im not crackin it until i finish the second.

copped.

but im not crackin it until i finish the second.

Oh shit, it's out NOW?

Must cop to-DAY. Damn, life is good.

But I'm not crackin' it open until I finish watching the Mardi Gras special. Just that, and then on to Season Three.

Aww shit, just remembered this was the season where Ray Charles hosted, one of the funniest eps ever...where's my credick card at?

Just finished the Elliot Gould Ep a/ the (Who the hell are they)McGarrigle Sisters.

They ran a skit w/ Chevy Chase...the horse feeder face thingy for people,,whatever....i though dude was gone? I wonder why they would still go to Chase's stuff?

This was also Murray's debut as the lounge singer...hilarious.

and Garret Morrison as a Conehead...funnyshit.

Just finished the Elliot Gould Ep a/ the (Who the hell are they)McGarrigle Sisters.

They ran a skit w/ Chevy Chase...the horse feeder face thingy for people,,whatever....i though dude was gone? I wonder why they would still go to Chase's stuff?

Kate & Anna McGarrigle were a folkish singer-songwriter duo who recorded for Warner Bros. at the time and had a cult following. One of them was Loudon Wainwright III's ex-wife (and Rufus Wainwright's mother).

As far as the Chevy Chase skit...remember, it was filmed, and back in those days SNL would rerun filmed segments to fill up time. But it's funny - Chase's ghost haunted the show for the longest time. Wait till they release the fourth season; even by 1979, host Kate Jackson admits (in a skit) that she stopped watching the show when Chase left, prompting a laugh from the audience. (And one of the McGarrigle's 70's albums was named after Chase's autobio, Dancer With Bruised Knees.)

I used to despise Elliot Gould when I was a kid watching this show. I think it was the corny B'way showtunes he'd always sing during the intro that got to me.

Kate & Anna McGarrigle were a folkish singer-songwriter duo who recorded for Warner Bros. at the time and had a cult following. One of them was Loudon Wainwright III's ex-wife (and Rufus Wainwright's mother).

As far as the Chevy Chase skit...remember, it was filmed, and back in those days SNL would rerun filmed segments to fill up time. But it's funny - Chase's ghost haunted the show for the longest time. Wait till they release the fourth season; even by 1979, host Kate Jackson admits (in a skit) that she stopped watching the show when Chase left, prompting a laugh from the audience. (And one of the McGarrigle's 70's albums was named after Chase's autobio, Dancer With Bruised Knees.)

I used to despise Elliot Gould when I was a kid watching this show. I think it was the corny B'way showtunes he'd always sing during the intro that got to me.

I became a Gould fan after The Long Goodbye. But yeah, he's on some goofy ole time shit on SNL. Trying to invoke old NYC nonsense.

I became a Gould fan after The Long Goodbye. But yeah, he's on some goofy ole time shit on SNL. Trying to invoke old NYC nonsense.

And the scary part is, his "ye olde showbiz" attitude usually affected the rhythm of the rest of the show, in some way, right down to Gary Weis' short films. Whatever disease Gould had, the rest of the cast caught. It was like a Bob Hope special with drug references when Gould was around. But his episodes are still funny in spite of themselves.

Anything on Season 3 I should look forward too in terms of music?

Anything on Season 3 I should look forward too in terms of music?

I haven't gotten the Season 3 DVD yet (I will on Monday), but going by TV.Com (and my own memory)...my faves were Sun Ra, Ray Charles, and Taj Mahal. Eugene Record appears on Episode 62 (he had just left the Chi-Lites), and the closest they got to punk/new wave was Elvis Costello (the infamous episode where Costello stops "Less Than Zero" to do "Radio Radio").

I think this may be the season where the camera catches Roberta Flack ("We're Killing Her Softly With Our Show," read the caption) and the Dead Boys' Cheetah Chrome ("Mentally Undressing Girlfriend") in the audience...

Remember how you were complaining about early SNL's bias towards singer-songwriters? By season 3 they were still with us, so ya gotta deal with Jackson Browne, Bonnie Raitt, YET ANOTHER Paul Simon appearance, etc.. I don't think they got off the folkie jag until Season 4.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I watched SNL last night with Steve Carell hosting and it was
    I can't even remember any of the skits. Truly sleep inducing television.

keep that recent SNL crap outta here.

I think that's what DJ Neville C was saying...

I'll never forget, on the day I bought the Season One DVD, the girl behind the counter was all like: "oh, wow, this show is so good! Just last week me and some friends had a Christopher Walken video fest, with all his SNL appearances..."

That's like buying a CD of Candi Staton's deep-soul singles, and the clerk saying: "oh, wow, Candi is so good! Just yesterday, me and some friends were at a disco party and were dancing to 'Young Hearts Run Free'"...

(Sorry, Batmon, I know you like that song, but I had to go there to make my point! Right artist, right show, wrong era...)

I think that's what DJ Neville C was saying...

I'll never forget, on the day I bought the Season One DVD, the girl behind the counter was all like: "oh, wow, this show is so good! Just last week me and some friends had a Christopher Walken video fest, with all his SNL appearances..."

That's like buying a CD of Candi Staton's deep-soul singles, and the clerk saying: "oh, wow, Candi is so good! Just yesterday, me and some friends were at a disco party and were dancing to 'Young Hearts Run Free'"...

(Sorry, Batmon, I know you like that song, but I had to go there to make my point! Right artist, right show, wrong era...)

Its cool. Your so on point.

Im watchin Gary Tigerman/Richard Dryfuss/Jimmy Buffett tonite...w/ plans to watch the Sun-Ra/Buck Henry episode next.

4th season is out.

Im watchin Gary Tigerman/Richard Dryfuss/Jimmy Buffett tonite...w/ plans to watch the Sun-Ra/Buck Henry episode next.

Can't go wrong with either one - both great.

4th season is out.

Yeah, I already copped that one, I'm halfway through it (finished Season 3 sometime back).

So what's the word on 4.

Musical Lineups?

Is The Funky Four + 1 on there?

Season Four? Well, this was 1978-79, so it still would have been too early for the Funky Four + 1. They were still funny, but you can kind of tell that already they were starting to become ***stars*** and had one foot out the door. No longer were they hungry post-hippie kids.

Especially Belushi - I think Animal House had come out just before the season started...the Blues Brothers' first album was just around the corner, and there are scattered jokes here and there about how success was eating him up - at one point Jane Curtin dismissively describes him as "the comedian of the rock & roll generation" or something like that.

Musically, it's as eclectic as the previous three seasons....Devo, Talking Heads, the Chieftains, Eubie Blake & Gregory Hines, a supernaturally-hot Kate Bush, Ornette Coleman, the Rolling Stones, Peter Tosh (featuring a cameo from Mick Jagger), Van Morrison, Rick Nelson, the Grateful Dead, Delbert McClinton. And others. But in my opinion, the BEST musical performance comes from guest host Gary Busey...he's singing and playing guitar, backed up by Paul Butterfield, Rick Danko and the SNL house band, and he absolutely tears shit up on a cover version of "Stay A Little Longer," an old Western Swing standard that he somehow transforms into steamroller rock & roll, sorta like Joe Ely...Busey's ONE song dumps all over 90% of what's called alt-country today. Too bad he never released a proper album.

When I got the DVD box, the first ones I watched were the Milton Berle and Frank Zappa shows, because I know the cast and crew hated these episodes. Okay, Zappa was too hip for the room and Berle was way too square, but despite that, these eps aren't that bad...

But in my opinion, the BEST musical performance comes from guest host Gary Busey...he's singing and playing guitar, backed up by Paul Butterfield, Rick Danko and the SNL house band, and he absolutely tears shit up on a cover version of "Stay A Little Longer," an old Western Swing standard that he somehow transforms into steamroller rock & roll, sorta like Joe Ely...Busey's ONE song dumps all over 90% of what's called alt-country today. Too bad he never released a proper album.

Is this pre-Buddy Holly Bio-pic?

But in my opinion, the BEST musical performance comes from guest host Gary Busey...he's singing and playing guitar, backed up by Paul Butterfield, Rick Danko and the SNL house band, and he absolutely tears shit up on a cover version of "Stay A Little Longer," an old Western Swing standard that he somehow transforms into steamroller rock & roll, sorta like Joe Ely...Busey's ONE song dumps all over 90% of what's called alt-country today. Too bad he never released a proper album.

Is this pre-Buddy Holly Bio-pic?

Just after. I think he was nominated for an Oscar right around this time, and everybody thought he was going to be the superstar that Belushi became, rather than the B-list quack he is today.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    just copped 4

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    The Rolling Stones were boring.

Belushi comes back from Animal House.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    SNL heads, who do you vote for as the UNfunniest cast member of all time?
    My vote goes to Charles Rocket...whatta dud

runner up Colin Quinn

SNL heads, who do you vote for as the UNfunniest cast member of all time?
    My vote goes to Charles Rocket...whatta dud

runner up Colin Quinn

Gilbert Gottfried, for damn sure

I'd almost put Garrett Morris in this category, but I have a definite respect for the man, because he is talented...he wasn't so much "unfunny" as he was "misplaced"