Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings Tour

badnoozbearbadnoozbear 26 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone going to the Sold out el rey show? Roll call.. And anyone have extra tickets?

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hi B****

I'll call you later tonight

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I wish I could make it. These holiday bills are killing me.

For those of you who don't know about the Badnoozbear.

He was the DUDE who killed it on stage with Sharon Jones last year at the Henry Fonda. KILLED IT!

- spidey

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Saw them in San Diego last night. My only advice is go see them. They were better than I expected, and I was expecting a lot.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Saw them in San Diego last night. My only advice is go see them. They were better than I expected, and I was expecting a lot.

Sharon Jones & Co. are great at what they do. Chicago's very own Pickwick and Ciba were the DJs at this last show, and I shared a booth with them.

I'd only say that (after seeing two of their shows live) their show tends to run long. Back-to-back, high-energy funk is great, but it can get a little taxing after about two hours. The packed-out crowd noticably thinned out near the end at both shows.

Don't get me wrong: they're still a must-see.

• Thanks Mr. J.bacca and Spidey for all your help. If anyone has extra tickets or knows how to get them let me know. I might try to go to the Santa Ana show tonight since its not sold out. How long does her show go.. i havent seen her since last year.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I was also there and it was dope. It was an interesting crowd though. Many grey haired folks and dudes in tailored 60's suits.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Cougars too. yikes.

• Anyone got an extra ticket for the sf show they want to get rid of for more than face ....

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Cougars too. yikes.

Yes! There was a SoCal Cougar dance-off midway through the show. Holy implants!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cougars too. yikes.

Ha, nice. I'd spiff up for the occasion but I'm not exactly in the cougar target demo anymore

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Holy implants!

no kidding. i thought those things were gonna pop out of her tube top with her jittery becky dance moves. she certainly did have some confidence in those things though.

when i see women like that, i can't help it, i always think of this album cover:

this show is

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    eh.. I've seen them better. Of course any Dap-Kings show is hot, but the band seemed tired, kinda went through the motions at times. All in all a decent show. When Sharon asked how many people are seeing them for the first time about half of the audience raised their hands.. I couldn't believe it.

What did people think about Sharon bringing up people to dance for almost EVERY SONG.. It worked out well, but kind of started to feel like I was watching reality T.V. -- I went to see SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS, not Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings + Psuedo-Hipsters. Bringing people up to dance is cool, getting the audience involved is key -- but time and time again?
    Anyone agree?

• Saw 'em in Boston, and my only complaints were-
    1) budos was a no show; which sucked double, because it made the night super early, with only 1 band.

&

2) the amount of people she brought up on stage. Did get quite annoying after the first time.

• eh.. I've seen them better. Of course any Dap-Kings show is hot, but the band seemed tired, kinda went through the motions at times. All in all a decent show. When Sharon asked how many people are seeing them for the first time about half of the audience raised their hands.. I couldn't believe it.

What did people think about Sharon bringing up people to dance for almost EVERY SONG.. It worked out well, but kind of started to feel like I was watching reality T.V. -- I went to see SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS, not Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings + Psuedo-Hipsters. Bringing people up to dance is cool, getting the audience involved is key -- but time and time again?
    Anyone agree?

whatever...it was fun. it was great that it sold out. I had a damn good time.
    Nice job on the tables O-Dub! I was gettin loose!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Also, the sound mix wasn't as good as it could have been. Could barely hear the horns during solos and the guitars sounded a bit flat.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Saw 'em in Boston, and my only complaints were-
    1) budos was a no show

Wow, I'm glad to hear that for selfish reasons, since
    I was only going to go to see them (seen SJ twice now,
    wouldn't mind seeing her again but was willing to pass
    this time around) and was upset that I missed it. If I
    had gone and bought a ticket and no Budos, I would have
    been pissed. Weird that they no-showed, I would assume the
    2 acts tour together?

• let me say this....

GO

don't sit around talking about going - GO! i was lucky enough to be the opener when she played in MPLS and it was, hands down, one of the best shows i've ever seen! and that woman is a complete sweetheart! she actually came from backstage after the show all the way up to the dj booth to thank me for the great music and to keep educating the youngins on that good ol music! plus she was lookin to smoke a bit, which i helped her out with.

she said she wasn't herself that night because she was too damn excited. per her and her booking agent, they sold more tickets to the minneap show than anywhere else at that point on the tour! she said they've all been packed but because of guest lists and what not, the sales weren't as healthy as the mpls show!

i was blessed to get that gig. she gave me a signed copy of 100 days and got a flick with her...

so, again....

GO!

What did people think about Sharon bringing up people to dance for almost EVERY SONG

Actually, I agree with this. It was cool the first two times. But then it got kind of tired.

The encore was though.

I'm not sure about "going through the motions" - I thought the band sounded pretty "on" but then again, I haven't seen them since 2002 and that was at the Elbo Room so it was a VERY different experience to see them at a sold out El Rey show.

I was happy to see so many older folks out (and no, I don't mean fake booby cougars) vs. the 20 something crowd.

Also, the sound mix wasn't as good as it could have been. Could barely hear the horns during solos and the guitars sounded a bit flat.

Hmm...from where I was (back of the house), shit sounded pretty good to me.

I'm confused - aren't almost all the Budos Band members in the Dap-Kings?

• Also, the sound mix wasn't as good as it could have been. Could barely hear the horns during solos and the guitars sounded a bit flat.

As far as I know, it's just Tommy (guitar player) and Dave Guy (trumpet) that are in both bands. A friend of mine was hangin' backstage [this is the Boston show I'm talking about] and said they were considering putting a little "mini-Budos" together but there just weren't enough actual Budos to really pull it off.

The band did show up, by the way, but at 11:15 or so. Heavy traffic.

• I wasn't so much bitching about them not showing, like, 'FUCK THEM,' but just bummed I didn't get to see 'em. And, it meant the whole show ended early.

This is not to take away- it is a great show, as always, and one my wife LOVED. She spent the weekend looking up sharon jones clips on youtube. that was cool.

As far as I know, it's just Tommy (guitar player) and Dave Guy (trumpet) that are in both bands. A friend of mine was hangin' backstage [this is the Boston show I'm talking about] and said they were considering putting a little "mini-Budos" together but there just weren't enough actual Budos to really pull it off.

The band did show up, by the way, but at 11:15 or so. Heavy traffic.

Ah ok - I need a score card to keep track of all the cross-postings between these guys. I rapped with Tommy for a bit last night...he was telling me about meeting Jay to "approve the lyrics" for "Roc Boys." CRAZY.

• Cougars too. yikes.

Yes! There was a SoCal Cougar dance-off midway through the show. Holy implants!

SHARON JONES AINT GOT NUTHIN ON THESE HOES!!!

Originally recorded for KEXP in 2005. It ended up - pretty surprisingly - reworked/sampled by Mark Ronson for Solange Knowles' album last year. Don't know why the group didn't put this out - love the groove they lay down here so I thought I'd share.