Favorite Chi-lites record?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
pick oneI've never heard it but this looks hot as hellprobably my personal favemediocre mid seventies but still has those falsettos I digGot's "Oh Girl" on it, but not much more

Comments

• "Now that the winter is through"(or something like that) 45...finewine played it a year or two ago...I am still on the lookout...shit was tough.

I found it in a discography:
    The Chi-Lites - Ain't You Glad (Winter's Over) / The Monkey

• pick one

Can somebody photoshop The Rub fellas into this picture? That would be ill.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    don't sleep

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Give More Power To The People got breakz, but this one is up there for me:

And the cityscape one has 2 or so really good tracks on it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

This is my favoite as well.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I found this LP this morning, it was the inspiratin for this post.

ain't heard it yet though. Is the the Beyonce thing?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

I found this LP this morning, it was the inspiratin for this post.

ain't heard it yet though. Is the the Beyonce thing?

no, it's not on that album

• pick one

probably my personal fave

This one.

• Note: you should all know that Give It Away, I Like Your Lovin', and For God's Sake Give More Power To The People have several of the same songs repeated between each other...if you have one but don't have the others, you may find yourself buying the same songs three times over.

That said...

Got's "Oh Girl" on it, but not much more

STRONG disagreement. This was the fourth Chi-Lites album, after the three I mentioned above, and it holds together as a coherent LP. With a lineup that includes "Oh Girl," "The Coldest Days Of My Life," "The Man & The Woman," and a shockingly good cover of "Inner City Blues"...can't really argue with this one. In a year (1972) that also gave us the Stylistics' Round Two, the Montclairs' Dreaming Out Of Season and the O'Jays'Back Stabbers, this particular Chi-Lites album was no joke.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

mediocre mid seventies but still has those falsettos I dig

I always liked this one, actually.

I can't really pick a best one for the reason Pickwick cites, which is so many of their records are kinda thrown together (I assume singles collected), that several of them seem pretty similar to each other.

I guess I will ride for this:

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    don't sleep

Anyone in Chicago remember a while back when one member was busted for selling fake permits allowing one to carry a gun in chicago parks? thats BAD news!
    Another dude told me when the chi-lites arrived to perform at a southside chicago festival, they slid out a hummer limo with a stable 'o ten treal hotties. So I'm guessing a guest appearance on diesel moneys track was just another stack in the pocket.
    Anyone else have the german press with the sick cover? Out of town, no pic.

• Anyone else have the german press with the sick cover?

Of which album?

• Anyone have this one?

I'm curious....

"Give It Away" is probably my favorite at the moment.

• go back to it, guzzo

"i got the stars the moon and sun all rolled up in one. i'm not one who talks a lot, always braggin about what he got. woman you make me feel like a king, and its such a wonderful thing...you got me hung up on this love thing, yeahhhh...."

• go back to it, guzzo

"i got the stars the moon and sun all rolled up in one. i'm not one who talks a lot, always braggin about what he got. woman you make me feel like a king, and its such a wonderful thing...you got me hung up on this love thing, yeahhhh...."

and "toby," the song, is a real heartbreaker...so sad it makes "a letter to myself" sound like "whoomp! there it is"..."it was a sad day, when toby went away"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Got's "Oh Girl" on it, but not much more

STRONG disagreement. This was the fourth Chi-Lites album, after the three I mentioned above, and it holds together as a coherent LP. With a lineup that includes "Oh Girl," "The Coldest Days Of My Life," "The Man & The Woman," and a shockingly good cover of "Inner City Blues"...can't really argue with this one.

Yes. You said it before I could.

I slow down Inner City Blues just to make it last longer.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    I have a german press of this one

the cover is quartered and a different image is repeated and rotated each direction, giving the illusion you're looking down a chi-lites vortex...

• Got's "Oh Girl" on it, but not much more

STRONG disagreement. This was the fourth Chi-Lites album, after the three I mentioned above, and it holds together as a coherent LP. With a lineup that includes "Oh Girl," "The Coldest Days Of My Life," "The Man & The Woman," and a shockingly good cover of "Inner City Blues"...can't really argue with this one.

No love for the title track? That's my favorite cut after "Oh Girl."

• Got's "Oh Girl" on it, but not much more

No love for the title track? That's my favorite cut after "Oh Girl."

I'm lovin' on the whole album, just didn't see the need to list everything!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    this record is a little kooky, terribly mixed but for some reason its been a favourite of mine for a while now, my cover is damaged so i cant tell much about it, but it almost sounds like it has some of the Hi rhythm section on it

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

The Flute and Moog on "Happiness Is Your Middle Name" are

• this record is a little kooky, terribly mixed but for some reason its been a favourite of mine for a while now, my cover is damaged so i cant tell much about it, but it almost sounds like it has some of the Hi rhythm section on it

yeah that's some nice stuff, I think it's from their Blue Rock sides.

• "What Do I Wish For"
    "12th of Never"
    "Ain't You Glad Winter's Over"

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Anyone have this one?

I'm curious....

It's been more than a minute since I listened to the whole thing, but it does contain "Go Away Dream," which is just a really beautiful song that I listen to quite a bit. Dynamically (if not musically), it seems to have something in common with Brief Encounter's "Human"--that same kind of tension/resignation that soars a little, but never really gets free. I think you'd like it.