post firing -weekend finds 11.20

rookrook 357 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
shitt, after getting fired yesterday i ran to town just now to buy my anger away in the form of records..lp's1980 university of new hampshire summer youth music school ray bloch singers: hairbruno venturini: le piu bellejohn klemmer: all the children crieddoug cosmo clifford the neal ford foundation-another alaskan lp i've passed on for yearsjoe tex: i gotchathe butterfield blues band: keep on movingrichard twicethe notorious byrd brothersif: double diamondkayak: royal bed bouncertommy james and the shondells: gettin togetherintroducing loborichie havens: the great blind degreeyes: s/trasperries: starting overbuckwheat: s/tdennis coffey: evolutionpython lee jackson: in a broken dreamvanilla fudge: near the beginningeric burdon & war: spill the winecountry joe & the fish: electric music for the mind and bodyghrame bond: love is the lawpeter walker: second poem to karmela or gypsies are important45'sfrederick knight: let me ring your bell againlarry the whoopee man warner: whoopee manjohn fred & his playboys: judy in disguiseeddie kendricks: boogie downdestination venus: oh lucilletony rocks: a girl has gotta knowheadin north: roll that rock away-alaskan schitt-looking to be cuntry as folknothing face melting considering i havent listened to much of it yet, but not a bad hall for 5 degrees below weather

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I didn't get fired, but I did find some records.
    These are from the past couple of weeks, actually.

VG AT BEST

MASKING-TAPE MASSACRE (vinyl is clean, though)

EDGE WARP

This record was a gift from our very own Rockadelic,
    sent to me in the mail fairly out of the blue, just because
    he knew I would like it. His generosity is never in question,
    nor his friendship, despite our public beefing. As long as we
    don't discuss sports or politics, it's all good in the hood
    He also sent a great frat rock/beat group 45 just because I had
    commented on it in a finds post he put up. Thanks again, Rich.
    By the way, the Tommy Youngblood record rules.

OTHER SHITE:

Always wanted a clean keeper of the MC5.
    Gravedigger V is a paisley underground classic.
    DBM&T is the later incarnation of Dave Dee, Dozy,
    Beaky, Mick & Tich, circa 1970, and is, as Wa*ne at
    Twisted Village called it when I purchased, "shockingly
    good" ... nice early glam sounds with great hooks and
    production, with only a couple of stinkers.

Also wanted a copy of Privilege forever - nice cheap unplayed
    one. The Bunny Wailer is some smoking dub, and looks unplayed
    so of course it sounds like it's rinked - but is essential:

I only post the cheap Niney set because these sealed 80's
    Trojan pressings have been turning up at stores all over
    town for real cheap, must be some warehouse stock that got
    sold around ... they are always $5-$6 and despite having
    horrible cover art (they look like 1987 Larry Carlton GRP
    records or something) are incredible sets, prime material
    with amazing sound quality and a ton of tracks - the Niney
    one has 15 cuts, every one of them killer.

• From yesterday:

and if you're going to get a copy with writing all over it, at least it's autographed by all members and signed to legendary Detroit funk DJ the Electrifying Mojo:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Just got a few 45s this weekend, some doubles, some not, as well as a local New Zealand original press of the Booker T Set LP which I have never come across before.

The Kingsmen - Jolly Green Giant
    Lulu - Sweep Around Your Own Back Door
    Jessie Hill - Whip It On Me
    Brenton Wood - Oogum Boogum Song
    Dusty Springfield - I'll Try Anything
    The Illusion - Did You See Her Eyes
    Vanilla Fudge - Where Is My Mind
    Judy Clay - Saving All For You
    The Shirelles - Sha La La
    The Kingsmen - The Climb
    The Kingsmen - Money
    Jimmy Ruffin - I've Passed This Way Before
    Little Stevie Wonder - Monkey Talk
    Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love
    Dionne Warwick - This Little Light
    Mahalia Jackson - For My Good Fortune
    Bill Black's Combo - Turn On Your Love Light
    Vanilla Fudge - Thoughts
    The Wild Cats - Gazachstahagen
    Clarence Mack Express - Runaway Train
    The Reign - Zippered Up Heart
    The Make Up - Trans Pleasant Express

Also got these shelves custom made to finally get most of the 45 collection out of cardboard boxes. Sweet.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Those 45 shelves are

• this is kind of a summary of the last 2 weeks: some trades/hook-ups with Age via a mini-strut convergence at SJ/SF[GM] plus good Haight wanderings [thanks again man! good times and great records!], a pile of random-ass old portables scored at a classic brady-bunch 50s/60s house im helping an estate dealing friend clean out, and some plain old finds in my neck of the woods.

^^Age with the latin hooks; and what i now feel is the best chad and jeremy record.

more Age good stuff plus the female soul finds ive been lacking. and an og black star finally.

^^ first copy of reality ive ever found, and its a sketchy vg-. Ernie Johnson was suprisingly good, sounding older than the 1985 date.

^^ Nephi is horrid/hilarious but i heard some nice little bits before he starts singing.

^^ was suprised to see this Swamp Dogg that i didnt know existed. Seems to be self released?

^^ some minty / rare childrens records. Byrds scholastic 45 is also tuff, what a pretty sleeve. john tavener is maybe the hardest lp on Apple(?), and is a very weird album.

^^ the johnny colon is mint and is the splurge of the post, but still a fair deal (imo) at GM. The raer Cash was 'free' via trading in a pile of crap at amoeba LA and getting suprisingly stupid $ in trade. Acid from Age! extra htf comp with the GOOD 'across the universe' on it. what can we get for .63?

^^1985 rap that im digging. has a much older school vibe to it.

^^ a box of blank flexis, plus one they recorded on back in god knows when.
    funny kids telling bizarre stories. whatever recorded it hasnt turned up yet.

^^ a Fasa and a Philco. not so portable, but neat looking.

^^ an uber cool old japanese portable whose nameplate fell off, anyone know what this is? it has a am/fm radio built in...

^^the 1949 RCA Bakelite 45 player

...just back from the Haight... kinda looks like we copped very different substances!

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    HAHAHAHAHA!!!

...just back from the Haight... kinda looks like we copped very different substances!

Good to chill and hang with you Karl.You are most def, great people
    Same goes for Sheep(Bev)aswell.Bummer I did not get to chill with most of ya'll.

Come up's...None
    (work too damn much!!!!!)

Had to use the Takai!

Cool Bev, speak to you whenever and hope all is well with you and the touring!

Karl. I'm gonna call in the near!

Peace folks