fvck work: i just got fired!!!

2»

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Great. This thread is all of my current negatives rolled into one!

I will be losing my job soon too, I don't know when, maybe next week, maybe next month. I still haven't decided if I am happy or sad about this. A little afraid of trying to find a job around or after the holidays. It would be nice to work on art and ebay and maybe take a couple classes in addition to one or two days bartending or djing somewhere new. We'll see I guess. Watch and wait.

I work the night shift and soon I will be having a screening and possible biopsy for skin cancer. Take that shit to nightshiftcancer.com

I have health insurance for another 6 months or so...it is not through my job and I don't pay more than 10 bucks a month for it. I guess this is the only positive as of now. Really though, all of this could lead up to some major life changes and for the better I hope, no matter what the most immediate thing will result in job or health wise. Kind of a lot of stuff to be going on at once, but I guess there is never a good time for these kinds of things.

• rookrook 357 Posts

I will be losing my job soon too, I don't know when, maybe next week, maybe next month. I still haven't decided if I am happy or sad about this. A little afraid of trying to find a job around or after the holidays. It would be nice to work on art and ebay and maybe take a couple classes in addition to one or two days bartending or djing somewhere new. We'll see I guess. Watch and wait.

I work the night shift and soon I will be having a screening and possible biopsy for skin cancer. Take that shit to nightshiftcancer.com

I have health insurance for another 6 months or so...it is not through my job and I don't pay more than 10 bucks a month for it. I guess this is the only positive as of now. Really though, all of this could lead up to some major life changes and for the better I hope, no matter what the most immediate thing will result in job or health wise. Kind of a lot of stuff to be going on at once, but I guess there is never a good time for these kinds of things.

just go buy records and that will ease the confusion/anger/pain..
    it did for me today. tomorrow though, i will have to drink i believe

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Having to pay $100/mo for health insurance blows

Try $248 with Cobra!

I don't understand Cobra. Seems like you have to pay a shitload more to use them as opposed to just signing up directly with a carrier like Kaiser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolidated_Omnibus_Budget_Reconciliation_Act_of_1986

Still doesn't make sense after reading this. Why are qualified people forced into a plan that costs them more personally than the employer was paying? Seems like bullshit.

You're not forced to do it, its an option. And they're not really charging you any more, the cost is what your employer was paying for you (up to 2% can be tacked on, a negligible difference). I believe it was at least $400 when I asked about doing it last year, makes me really appreciate my plan!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

wow, Im sorry to hear that Alice. You'll be in my thoughts...and hopefully things get better and not worse. I hope you caught it early.

It bothers me so much that I can't afford to take care of myself medically because of the outrageous amounts they charge. I may have to have surgery soon, but I've been putting it off because I simply can't afford it. I'm on Aflac (through work), but the only thing they can cover is my time off of work after the surgery. The surgery and the tests are outrageous. Its already worse enough with the pains, ugh...so frustrating.

Best of luck, girl. Keep your head up.

• For individuals in California, Kaiser has a plan for $76 a month and Blue Shield/Cross has one for $90 a month. Both are decent, and at least you'll have basic coverage.

DOES NOT EXIST IN NY STATE

I had health for a year at $225/mo and I had to report my income as 2k or under a month. I was taking the rest in unreported cash and it just was not sustainable to do it that way. At some point you have to put something on paper.

My best option now is ~$300/mo. Thank god I am marrying someone with corporate health insurance.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    For individuals in California, Kaiser has a plan for $76 a month and Blue Shield/Cross has one for $90 a month. Both are decent, and at least you'll have basic coverage.

DOES NOT EXIST IN NY STATE

I had health for a year at $225/mo and I had to report my income as 2k or under a month. I was taking the rest in unreported cash and it just was not sustainable to do it that way. At some point you have to put something on paper.

My best option now is ~$300/mo. Thank god I am marrying someone with corporate health insurance.

I just got an ad I think Kaiser raised their rates to $93. So be it, I'll take that over 225/mo any day.

Damn, another reason not to move to NY, ouch. Yah, that corporate health insurance is indeed sweet.

• My advice is sign yourself up for a temping company immediately and begin applying for jobs immediately... you'll still have plenty of downtime as you WAIT for these hiring departments to get back to you. Even with unemployment rates being so low, it still takes human resources for-fuckin-ever to get back to people for even an interview, let alone the "when can you start?" call. Even if you want to kick it this weekend, ok cool, but don't retire yet - you'll be bored.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    My advice is sign yourself up for a temping company immediately and begin applying for jobs immediately... you'll still have plenty of downtime as you WAIT for these hiring departments to get back to you. Even with unemployment rates being so low, it still takes human resources for-fuckin-ever to get back to people for even an interview, let alone the "when can you start?" call. Even if you want to kick it this weekend, ok cool, but don't retire yet - you'll be bored.

seeing as i have a vacation set up for mid december i'm prolly just going to kick it.. upon return i'm going to go work at a gold mine

• I just got my bill for an accident. The city of SF is charging me $1018 for the ambulance ride. I hope my insurance covers it.

• That's why I don't have health insurance right now!

I've never had health insurance in 29 years of living.

• They gave my dept. 2 months notice that the whole department (100 people) was going to be outsourced and we would all be laid off. A week after the announcment I started my job hunt. I went on 20 interviews at 13 companies in 4 weeks, got 4 offers and ended up accepting a job where I'm doing what I want at a great company and I'm getting a 54% increase in base salary. Going on so many interviews got me to the point where I had the perfect answer to any question, and having other offers gave me real negotiating power. Some people hate interviews, but I say get over it and go on as many as possible. Also, it's good to be in finance in NYC.