Daptone 45s ?!?

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
What are the essential Daptone 45s...I've been slackin' on my Daptone pimpin'. What does one need?

Comments

• So many good ones.

Budos Band - Up From The South
    Sharon Jones - Pick it up, Lay it in the cut; Genuine; I'm Not Gonna Cry
    Lee Fields - Stand Up; Give Me A Chance; You Don't Know What You Mean;
    Charles Bradley - Now That I'm Gone

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I just picked up Sharon Jones version of "I Just Dropped In To ...Condition I'm In" at their show in MPLS and it's been getting serious plays as of late.

• I just picked up Sharon Jones version of "I Just Dropped In To ...Condition I'm In" at their show in MPLS and it's been getting serious plays as of late.

Yeah ... I played that one to death on my old radio show ... so so good. (In fact, I just finished blabbering about it in the 2000-2007 raers thread). Glad to hear the band still has some copies, as mine has a nice fat skip in it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just picked up Sharon Jones version of "I Just Dropped In To ...Condition I'm In" at their show in MPLS and it's been getting serious plays as of late.

I would love to hear this. Where can I cop?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    it was the last one in the box that I saw but i'm sure there are more.

I tells you what: The remix disc that Scion (mixtape #19) just put out has a KILLER dubbed out version of "How Long Do I Have To Wait" by Ticklah. BEYOND GOOD, ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!! SO AMAZING!!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

I'll record it for you and send it to you tonight, did I mention the B side is the instramental. I'll send you the Ticklah remix if you need it too. Sounds like Jackie Mitoo covering the Dap-Kings.

• I bet they're doing well with that Menahan St. Band "make the road by walking" 45 these days.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Must be the one jigga used ehh?

• i would say they all good really...but this is killing me lately:

• it was the last one in the box that I saw but i'm sure there are more.

I tells you what: The remix disc that Scion (mixtape #19) just put out has a KILLER dubbed out version of "How Long Do I Have To Wait" by Ticklah. BEYOND GOOD, ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!! SO AMAZING!!
    that remix disc has some on it!
    surely some of these will appear on wax at some point right??

• i would say they all good really...

Yeah, I started to say...when a label is as consistent as Daptone is, you don't question what's what, you buy what you see!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    i would say they all good really...

Yeah, I started to say...when a label is as consistent as Daptone is, you don't question what's what, you buy what you see!
    AMEN!!! I'm beginning to think that too.

• i would say they all good really...

Yeah ... I have 'em all. Haven't been let down yet.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    how many are there? these are something i should get. are any out of print?

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Oh, and here's a lil' testimony to the Daptone label. My girlfriend got a copy of Naturally at their recent show and it was heat warped. She called the label, they were extremly appolagetic and sent her a new one. It arrived 2 days later with a shitload of stickers, a poster, 2 cds and the new copy of the Naturally LP.

Good Dudes.

• I just picked up Sharon Jones version of "I Just Dropped In To ...Condition I'm In" at their show in MPLS and it's been getting serious plays as of late.

Just happened to have this mp3 on my computer since I downloaded it from some audio blog or another at some point:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/52760522e1df5b/

• how many are there? these are something i should get. are any out of print?

Their site is pretty up to date on what's sold out/out of print. I think they usually do just one or two runs of the 45s (of 500? perhaps 1000?). The red ones are 2nd press. You can still find most of them.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Good Dudes.

I had the pleasure of living downstairs from Neil Sugarman when I lived in Brooklyn. Both him and his wife are super nice. We spent the night of the NY blackout eating melted ice-cream. We'd often talk shit about our cheapskate landlord too. I'd play Neil funk 45s he didn't know and in return he'd show me blues chords on the keys I had at the time.
    All the Daptone guys are genuine, I always felt humbled in the presence of such talented musicians. Their first studio was in a basement of a shitty building, cables everywhere, everything held together by duct tape etc... but it worked and Gabe knew how to hook it up to get that sound.
    Saw them many times live in various line-ups as they were playing almost every second night in Williamsburg at that point. Good times, good people.

• yeah, I had the pleasure, but financial misfortune(oh to be ahead of the curve in promoting live music), of booking Daptone stuff in Fort Worth a few times 5 or so years ago and those dudes are the nicest you will ever meet....

as far as Daptone 45s, I ride for and still play out on the regular:

Naomi Davis "Promised Land"...those big ass Hammond chords on the turnaround still give me chills...great record...

and when the party is going nuts...Lee Fields and the Dap Kings "Give Me A Chance" part 2 will drive it to bonkersland.

• They were just on "Fresh Air" the other day.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16690407

Is there a COMPLETE discography of their stuff anywhere? I mean with all the various permutations and name changes...?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Naomi Davis "Promised Land"...

not mentioned yet: Charles Bradley & the Bullets x2
    Lee Fields - Shot Down, Never Found a Girl
    The Company - La Culebra
    El Michels - Detroit Twice
    Binky Griptite

this needs to happen more often

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I'd definitely cosign the sentiment that all of the 45s are grippable, my top 5:

Sharon Jones "Make It Good To Me" Possibly my favorite soul ballad of all time, this was our first dance at my wedding.

Budos "Up From the South" That intro rips me open from the inside every time I hear it.

Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings "What Have You Done for me Lately" This recording even made me like the Janet Jackson original more.

Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings "I Just dropped in to see What Condition My Condition Is In"

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings "What if We All Stopped Paying Taxes b/w This Land Is Your Land"

didn't set out to have such a Sharon heavy list, but that's just how it broke for me.

Seen 'em live many times, unfortunately the Bimbo's show sold out already so I'm probably going to miss the show in San Francisco for the first time since they've been touring out here. Here's a couple of action shots:

Lee Fields with the Sugarman 3, 2002:

Lee Fields

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, 2003:

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
    Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings

• Lee Fields - Shot Down, Never Found a Girl

'Never Found a Girl' is actually sung by the late, great Joseph Henry with the Mighty Imperials. Nevertheless, wonderful song.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Must be the one jigga used ehh?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Lee Fields - Shot Down, Never Found a Girl

'Never Found a Girl' is actually sung by the late, great Joseph Henry with the Mighty Imperials. Nevertheless, wonderful song.

D'oh. got it on the Imperials LP as well - where it's a much slower recording. I think I meant You Don't know what you mean as mentioned previously. Fuck it they're all good.

• Fuck it they're all good.

That is the bottom line.

It's crazy how I'll go through periods of re-appreciating their stuff. I'll burn myself out and veer away for a few months. Then I'll come back to the Daptone tunes with fresh ears and realize how damned good it all is all over again. The compositions really do stack up against the classics. Its just great music.

And a big cosine to Dollar Bin on "Make It Good To Me". I think that one is still the song that impresses me the most.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

The Company - La Culebra
    El Michels - Detroit Twice
    These two are cool, I also really like that Sharon Jones 'What If We All Stopped Paying Taxes' one that was mentioned. In reality though, so much quality it' hard to choose, Lee Fields 45s are pretty great too. Def pne of those 'must cop' labels.

• Sharon Jones "Make It Good To Me" Possibly my favorite soul ballad of all time, this was our first dance at my wedding.

Nice first dance song!

I am lucky to have a personalized version of this song, Sharon asked for me and had me come up on stage and she even included me in the lyrics...glad to have a copy of it...

they have certainly come a long way, here is the rider for the show in 2003, after Neal sent it to me, I called him to tell him I didnt know how much of this stuff I could actually provide, and he just said, "if you could at least get the towels and a case of Negro Modelo, that would be cool" They dont have to worry about playing rock clubs booked by record nerds anymore, good for them!

SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS
    HOSPITALITY RIDER

Accommodations: Hotel for 9 people
    4 Double Rooms
    1 Single Room

Dinner: Dinner for 9 people
    OR 9 $12 dinner buyouts

Backstage: Comfortable room for 9 people
    Clean functioning bathroom
    15 Towels

Hospitality: Hot Tea with Lemon
    Coffee
    2 cases of water (one backstage, one on stage)
    2 quarts of juice
    V-8
    FRESH fruit
    FRESH vegetables
    Bagels and cream cheese
    Smart Food white cheese popcorn
    Corn Nuts
    String Cheese
    Beef Jerky
    1 case of beer
    One bottle of good Tequila
    One bottle of good Whiskey
    One bag of peanuts (for Sugarman)

Transportation: (If applicable, Details TBD)
    For 9 people

Thank you for keeping Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings comfortable.