naughty by nature appreciation‏

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
inspired by a post on spinemagazine.comhttp://www.spinemagazine.com/music/november/naughtynynature/writtenonyakitten_rmx.mp3 is it me or are these jams starting to sound good again?"Everything's Gonna Be Alright""O.P.P.""Guard Your Grill"/"Uptown Anthem" "It's On""Hip Hop Hooray (Pete Rock Remix)" "The Hood Comes First" "Written on Ya Kitten""Klickow-Klickow" "Clap Yo Hands" (1995) "Feel Me Flow""Mourn You Till I Join You"Remember when Treach was briefly considered top 5 dead or alive? This is pre-Biggie.

Comments

• Never sounded bad to me. I havent listened to them for a long while.

Peace,

Dress

• treacherous mc still kills it for me...my local workout spot/gym has a lil tape player and i bring in my naughty/black moon/ rakim tape and bang that shit while workin out...old ladies playin bingo cross the way can be seen noddin their heads from time to time though ....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Remember when Treach was briefly considered top 5 dead or alive? This is pre-Biggie.

Yes. I dont know about Top 5 though. They have certified Bangers. I liked when Vinnie stepped up.
    I can only take so much of Treach.

• "craziest" is my favorite naughty song. uptown anthem a close second.

• "Feel Me Flow" is one of my all-time favorite summer jams. Something about that song just sounds like summer. I guess it's the laid-back quality of the beat.

• Remember when Treach was briefly considered top 5 dead or alive? This is pre-Biggie.

Yes. I dont know about Top 5 though. They have certified Bangers. I liked when Vinnie stepped up.
    I can only take so much of Treach.

i'm not saying I did....personally when they were out i thought they were sorta corny. Too earnest- must be the jersey roots (the e street band of hip-hop?). But now when I hear the singles- i'm really feelin it? There's some real quality production and songwriting that i took for granted in the 90's.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think Naughty by Nature gets hated on unfairly--a lot of it has to do more with associations people have with their music than with the music itself: "We Love the 90s" CD comps, sports bars, aging caitlyns, etc.

I read an interview awhile ago where somebody was saying that Treach was really the last great eighties MC, he just came out slightly too late, and I think that there's some truth to that. If you consider him as being part of that lineage, he holds up--it's just that the changes that occurred in rap music in the early nineties made the group sound obsolete really quickly.

I keep a copy of their first album.

I hated Treach's TuPac imitations in the 90's.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Pac got all that shit FROM Treach.

Also, "Jamboree" is my official birthday song ever year.

Ity just seemed that Treach jumped on the "Introspective Thug" steez after Tupac blew up.

• I hated Treach's TuPac imitations in the 90's.

Ity just seemed that Treach jumped on the "Introspective Thug" steez after Tupac blew up.

yeah, pac makes a cameo in the uptown anthem vid and appears to be treach's lackey...yall need to go back and listen to that 1st naughty album again...dude was somethin fierce on the mic....cant vouch for 2nd album or any after though...

I remember when Naughty & Treach were kinda waning in their popularity but VIBE magazine still chose to have Treach for its debut issue's cover.

KayGee = Underatted Producer. Dude had balance. Polished Street shit that can work in the clubs.

• Pac got all that shit FROM Treach.

DJ Fuze told me a really funny story a few years ago about getting a in a three-way fight (PAUSE) with Treach and Pac. "We were all really out of it, but I did OK."

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Anyone like Dirt All By My Lonely? That shit would come on, and I'd have to turn up the stereo because the original sample was REAL REAL quiet. Naughty was good, rapid fire flowz and shit.
    From the Salt N Pepa show, it sounds like Treach beat on Pepa though

So the Tupac Cultists are actually Treacherous Cultists????

Paging HarveyCanal.......

• That extra verse for the live version of OPP is pretty hot. I think it was only on the 12" though.

Peace,

Dress

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "Feel Me Flow" is one of my all-time favorite summer jams. Something about that song just sounds like summer. I guess it's the laid-back quality of the beat.

Love that track. And I still have never gotten tired of "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" and "Uptown Anthem."

Also, cosignature on what faux_rillz said. Treach was real, real nice with it.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

• SCUFFIN THOSE KNEES = PASUE FOR DAYS

• SCUFFIN THOSE KNEES = PASUE FOR DAYS

That 12" on the top right takes on a whole new meaning!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I saw Naughty with PE, Latifah and Tribe in 91? Treach came out and straight blew Springfield Coliseum apart. Live I have never seen anyone in hiphop that good. I'll ride for these guys.

Who's the dude who isn't Treach or Vinny? Kay Gee rockin' the mega-hi-top?

Who's the dude who isn't Treach or Vinny? Kay Gee rockin' the mega-hi-top?

Yes

• I love NBN. The first album is an absolutely great album. Treach kind of went and did his hollywood thing which killed their music. But there's not a bad song on the first album and the second was good too.

on a side note, they blatantly stole the OPP beat from Tony D. Feel bad for him.

p.p.s.... Anyone ever dj for them at a club back in the day???? They had to have the deepest posse of any rap group ever. It was like Wu Tang posse plus 50

on a side note, they blatantly stole the OPP beat from Tony D. Feel bad for him.

I didn't know that for a long time until my homie played me the Tony D record. Talk about a blatant beat-jack. Yikes.

p.p.s.... Anyone ever dj for them at a club back in the day???? They had to have the deepest posse of any rap group ever. It was like Wu Tang posse plus 50

No, but my homie (different one from the one who played me the Tony D record) opened up for them back in the day and said, yes, the posse was large and also that Treach was not to be fucked with at all because he would beat your ass without hesitation.

He also said that the other group on the bill was a then-unheard of act called Cypress Hill. The Hill got booed roundly, and when they gave out promos of "The Funky Feel One," the crowd just threw 'em back on stage. Ouch.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    whoa, did someone reverse the page #'s?
    thats the CRAZIEST!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

thats the CRAZIEST!

Actually, UMass people are the craziest. I know because Treach told us when he played UMass.

Except he didn't call us people.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I love NBN, up the to third album even. The video for "Uptown Anthem" always got me hyped.

I was checking out some archives of the hip hop usenet group (rec.music.hip-hop?) that I used to read in college. Treach and Grand Puba were always in everybody's top 5 emcees list but they seem to have fallen out of favor over the years.

Talk about a rapper you couldn't understand... I couldn't understand Treach (or often vinnie) half the time.

• Treach and Grand Puba were always in everybody's top 5 emcees list but they seem to have fallen out of favor over the years.

I still fucks with Grand Pub-a-la!

He's still in my top 5...maybe top 10.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like those first two albums, I still rock my Hip Hop Hooray 45 now & then too. Goes down ok at punk rock shows for some reason....