Best Release on the Sussex Label?

13»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

I drove to work this morning to "we the people." It made the traffic easier to deal with!

• pknypkny 549 Posts

I never heard this. I had the other one from him and was really underwhelmed by it. Whats the sound on this like?

I just did a quick Google search on this record, go to this page to cop (scroll down a few pages).

• I never heard this. I had the other one from him and was really underwhelmed by it. Whats the sound on this like?

I just did a quick Google search on this record, go to this page to cop (scroll down a few pages).

This album is great. Sugarman has been the jam for me for quite some time.

• So we made it through a Sussex Records thread without mentioning the second Badfoot Brown album, huh? Well, people have said that that one is the weaker of the two...

• c'mon now.
    Nice one!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    So we made it through a Sussex Records thread without mentioning the second Badfoot Brown album, huh? Well, people have said that that one is the weaker of the two...

also skipped the Senay Step By Step LP.

And yes I still ride for Coffey Over Senay.

take that Hot Thang to slightlyfunkierthanyouraverageprestigerecord.com

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    95th Congress 45

oh yeah.

you never see that one.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I find the Sharon Ridley & Presidents LPs to be pretty forgettable. I go for Eddy Senay, Bill Withers, Dennis Coffey, Rodriguez & the Soul Searchers on Sussex.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    So we made it through a Sussex Records thread without mentioning the second Badfoot Brown album, huh? Well, people have said that that one is the weaker of the two...

also skipped the Senay Step By Step LP.

And yes I still ride for Coffey Over Senay.

take that Hot Thang to slightlyfunkierthanyouraverageprestigerecord.com

Yeah both those Eddy Senay records are kinda disappointing guitar noodlings IMO.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I find the Sharon Ridley & Presidents LPs to be pretty forgettable. I go for Eddy Senay, Bill Withers, Dennis Coffey, Rodriguez & the Soul Searchers on Sussex.

Yeah man - If i could only keep 3 sussex records it would be Bill Withers - Just as I am, Soul Searcher's 'salt of the earth' and Dennis Coffey Evolution

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Priscilla is a one-tracker.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    pickwick,

you asked about the Segements of Time album. Here's a review. Not the most original group, but I think it's still a pretty good Soul album. Not great, but solid.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1646

• pickwick,

you asked about the Segements of Time album. Here's a review. Not the most original group, but I think it's still a pretty good Soul album. Not great, but solid.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1646

Thanks. With that name and that kaleidoscopic album cover, I was expecting it to be another funky "black rock" album ala Masterfleet or the Politicians (not to be confused with the Presidents!), so when I found the 45, I was a little amazed to find out they were a good-but-indistinct vocal group.

• Certainly not the best on the label, but I really dig Creative Source's cover of 'Who Is He And What Is He To You' on this one:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Certainly not the best on the label, but I really dig Creative Source's cover of 'Who Is He And What Is He To You' on this one:

Damn, I almost forgot about that one. While I am partial to Gladys Knight's version of WIHAWIHTY, this one is a close second.

• white shit on Sussex < crappy white shit on Motown.

While we're on the topic of "white shit on Sussex," may as well add that Wednesday's "Last Kiss" is a major guilty pleasure of mine. And that I dig the pedal steel solo on Gallery's "Nice To Be With You!"

If anybody here decides to do another "1970's AM Gold" mix, the playlist will be hot buttered shite without these two tracks!

• If anybody here decides to do another "1970's AM Gold" mix, the playlist will be hot buttered shite without these two tracks!

Ha ha. I'm takin' notes. Volume 6 of my Lite Rock series is high on my "to do" list.

• If anybody here decides to do another "1970's AM Gold" mix, the playlist will be hot buttered shite without these two tracks!

Ha ha. I'm takin' notes. Volume 6 of my Lite Rock series is high on my "to do" list.

Well, find you a copy of Lobo's "Don't Expect Me To Be Your Friend" (on Big Tree) and you'll really be good to go with that mix then.

• Somehow I missed this the first time around:

obscure white groups on Sussex

yay or nay?

NAY.

Get the single of "Sweet Mary" b/w "What's On Tonight," instead. Both sides are classic proto-powerpop ("Sweet Mary" was a hit). Neither song appears on the album, which is undistinguished FM rock of the period. (The rerecorded version of "Sweet Mary" on the LP is slowed down to a sluggish tempo.)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Somehow I missed this the first time around:

obscure white groups on Sussex

yay or nay?

NAY.

This LP is an example of my theory that there are NO good rock LP's post 1967 where all the band members are smiling on the cover!!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Light in the Attic is doing some Sussex re-issue stuff and we need a High Quality scan of the Rodriguez "Cold fact" cover art. Mine is clean but has radio station call leters written across it! Can anyone help me out? PM me and let me know.

THX

• leonleon 883 Posts

I never heard this. I had the other one from him and was really underwhelmed by it. Whats the sound on this like?

Dylanish folk-rock with lots of putdown lyrics.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Three of a Kind 45. Great funky soul tune on thurrr.

• I vote for 95th Congress

• Mysterious and obscure funk group of unknown racial background: 95th Congress 45.

not unknown my man:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcsoulrecordings/497456165/

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Ah, I forgot...Sussex actually had a subsidiary label! Clarama Records, established around 1974 when Sussex broke off from Buddah...don't know how long this lasted (probably not very, since Sussex itself went belly-up the following year), but the one single I have, by Brenda & Albert is pretty good soul that you can add to the Sussex list. The A-side is uptempo with lots of fuzztone and wah-wah ("Talking About Loving You"); the flip is quintessential sweet soul ("This Has Happened Before").

• i apologize for not reading any of the thread up to this point, but best sussex releases are

dennis coffey-evolution and
    everything by bill withers,
    end of story, nothing else should be mentioned

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    everything by bill withers

and the two rodriguez LP's in second place
    these are great albums.
    really a great songwriter + bonus points for some hometown pride.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i apologize for not reading any of the thread up to this point, but best sussex releases are

dennis coffey-evolution and
    everything by bill withers,
    end of story, nothing else should be mentioned

without 45's of "5-10-15-20" and "sweet mary," that aint much of a list at all