Best Release on the Sussex Label?

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
IMHO I got it narrowed down to these three what say you?

Comments

• what say you?

I say the Coffey doesnt do it for me, still need to hear the presidents and a hearty cosign on the Withers.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's tough because it's mostly solid but nothing that's ever really blown me out of the water, but that's probably because I'd heard most of the songs before buying the records.

I think it's gotta be the first Bill Withers or his live album.

• GALLERY!!!

• ...and the 45 of "Sweet Mary" by Wadsworth Mansion.

• I like these

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

really? This one never did it for me. I had an unreleased acetate from '74 that I traded to Thes a while back that was actually far better than this album. But still not great enough for me to want to keep

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't heard that Presidents album either, but I dig the other two. I nominate this jernt:

• (Masterfleet) never did it for me. I had an unreleased acetate from '74 that I traded to Thes a while back that was actually far better than this album. But still not great enough for me to want to keep

The album works for me, so we'll agree to disagree. Besides, the album cover always reminded me of Led Zep's Houses Of The Holy for some reason...

Now here's something that's gonna get me banned from the Strut for real: I don't think the Soul Searchers' We The People album is all that great. No, it's not horrible, but it is kinda spotty.

GALLERY!!!

Haha, is there a story to how those guys ended up on Sussex? That record is straight awful.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

really? This one never did it for me. I had an unreleased acetate from '74 that I traded to Thes a while back that was actually far better than this album. But still not great enough for me to want to keep

Yeah, that one never did it for me, either. But this one definitely does:

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I haven't heard that Presidents album either, but I dig the other two. I nominate this jernt:

I concur, although the Bill Withers' LPs are all as great. I like 'Salt of the Earth' best for regionally sentimental reasons.

I found Masterfleet to be pretty unlistenable myself.

I've never heard this, is it similar to his stuff on Verve?

• GALLERY!!!

Haha, is there a story to how those guys ended up on Sussex? That record is straight awful.

I remember reading in the liner notes to one of their albums that Sussex producers Dennis Coffey and Mike Theodore (I think?) stopped by one of their gigs in Michigan (?) and liked what they heard. Evidently, the public did too, 'cause they had a few hit singles. "I Believe In Music" was unavoidable back then.

Oh yeah, and let's not forget this anomaly:

http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=320134610951

I still don't get it.

• I've never heard this, is it similar to his stuff on Verve?

It's actually funkier, and it doesn't have that watered-down-for-the-pop-market feel that many of his Verve records have. He was better on Sussex, I'd say.

• The "Mutzie" album is like Gallery, except good.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I never heard this. I had the other one from him and was really underwhelmed by it. Whats the sound on this like?

I've never heard this, is it similar to his stuff on Verve?

It's actually funkier, and it doesn't have that watered-down-for-the-pop-market feel that many of his Verve records have. He was better on Sussex, I'd say.

Good to know, thanks Pickwick. I was wondering why it was more sought after, since the Verve stuff isn't too great for the most part.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The "Mutzie" album is like Gallery, except good.

Jesus Lord, there must be a zillion Gallery 45s out there. They make me so mad!

• I was wondering why (Willie Bobo's one-off Sussex LP) was more sought after, since the Verve stuff isn't too great for the most part.

I know, his Verve recordings are spotty to me, too. Only Mongo Santamaria's Columbia records are worse.

• I posted a thread about this before, but the off beat clapping on this makes my angry.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    IMHO...

• c'mon now.

Am I the only who rides for 'We the people'?

IMHO...

ha. our trains crossed in the tunnel. ehem,

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    No love for Eddie Senay?

I think his LP's are better than Coffey's ...

(EDIT: beat me to it, above)

As for Coffey, I like "Goin' For Myself" better than "Evolutions"

I think the Willie Bobo LP and Soul Searchers "Salt of the Earth"
    are the two best non-Bill-Withers albums on the label, with the
    Senay records right up there, too.

Also, not mentioned, and not the best but worth a shout, is the
    "Man & Boy" soundtrack, by J.J. Johnson, which has some nice tracks.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Choo Choo.

We need to turn this into a "Best Sussex Release that you can play more than twice before the styrene syndrome strikes" thread.

• Choo Choo.

We need to turn this into a "Best Sussex Release that you can play more than twice before the styrene syndrome strikes" thread.

Ha, they really do have some shitty pressings.

• The "Mutzie" album is like Gallery, except good.

I've never heard their LP, but more than once I've read that Mutzie was supposed to be a hard rock band, which is something a softish group like Gallery pointedly is not. What exactly would these two bands have in common?