Sirius Soul Town appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
The cafe where I spend a lot of time plays this all the time. It's not rocking uber-raers but peep the last few songs:Denice Williams: FreeMr. Big StuffLovely DayExpress YourselfFreddie's DeadPROPER.

Comments

• The cafe where I spend a lot of time plays this all the time. It's not rocking uber-raers but peep the last few songs:
    Denice Williams: Free
    Mr. Big Stuff
    Lovely Day
    Express Yourself
    Freddie's Dead

PROPER.

I've had Sirius for several years, and I always though their "soul" programming was securely middle of the road stuff.

• Soul Town is one of the only stations on Sirius I can handle. Usually has a nice overall vibe for dinner parties or just chilling by yourself.
    The early hip hop station is usually great too
    The Spliff reggae station is 50% crap
    The Jazz station is 25% crap
    Everything else is 100% pure crap.
    Don't get me started on the Blues channel

• soul town - ehhh

r&b station - weak

shade 45- decent new hip hop and some good dj mix shows on occassion, but way too much g-unit and some annoying personalities (rude jude? dj whoo kid?)

old school hip hop station - pretty terrible. not enough dj mix shows.

other two hip hop stations - similar playlists to terrestrial radio. listenable when they have dj mix shows, but flash's show is terrible. he is just bad at djing.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Saying: as background cafe music? Good shit.

Would I put this on in the car? Nah.

• Saying: as background cafe music? Good shit.

Would I put this on in the car? Nah.

We originally got it for long drives in the car, both music and NPR. When Stern came aboard it was the last straw for regular radio (which I never listen to now). We listen to Howard, and when he's got something on I've already heard I listen to the Vault, Little Stevens Garage, the 60's station and the comedy channels.
    I actually sent them a letter a while back suggesting they take run some kind of "deeper" soul content (I didn't volunteer), even an hour or two a week, but nothing ever came of it.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Soultown is the one station my fiancee and I can agree upon, since our musical tastes are like night and day. My favorite station has to be Underground Garage, I find they play a good mix of different things. I've heard garage rock, 60s soul, 70s punk, they definitely don't play it middle of the road with their selections, like a lot of the Sirius stations.

Their metal stations leave a lot to be desired. Heart Attack plays tons of double bass drum/Cookie Monster-vocal bands, or bands with Yngwie wannabes and air raid siren vocals, but you rarely hear stuff like High on Fire or Mastodon.

• Buzzsaw RULEZ. Old Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, Montorse, The Sweet, etc.