Hey Batmon! Bale is John Connor!

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I like Bale, but I've been waiting too long for the Terminator wars movie and this looks .Sometimes those outlandish Internet rumors are true. During the holiday weekend, Ain't It Cool News (aka "geek central") reported that Christian Bale had agreed to play a grown-up John Connor in the fourth installment of the "Terminator" franchise. "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins" (what a title) is currently in preproduction at Warner Bros. and under the eye of not-so-visionary director McG for a summer 2009 release. Not surprisingly, many just brushed the report aside as another fan-boy daydream. Bale is obviously set financially with Chris Nolan's "Batman" series, and why would an actor who spent weeks in the jungles of Thailand with acclaimed filmmaker Werner Herzog want to work with a director whose career achievement is "Charlie's Angels"? And considering how much time "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" have taken out of his schedule (the "Knight" shoot took more than six months), why would he commit to what is expected to be the first of three new "Terminator" movies? Those questions have yet to be answered, but on a hunch, I contacted someone close to the production who, much to my surprise, confirmed Bale is in serious talks for the role but hasn't yet signed on the dotted line. What is known about the latest "Terminator" is that the story line will find Connor (previously played by Edward Furlong in "Terminator 2" and Nick Stahl in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines") battling a world overrun by Skynet in the not-so-distant future. The chances of the original Terminator, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, appearing for a cameo are slim. Although Warner Bros. is involved in both the new movie and the new FOX series "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," it's unclear whether the story lines will reflect one another. Bale received stellar reviews this fall for his role in James Mangold's "3:10 to Yuma" and can currently be seen playing one of six Bob Dylans in Todd Haynes' intriguing "I'm Not There." "The Dark Knight" arrives in theaters July 18.

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Terminator 1 sucked.

Terminator 2 was alright.

Terminator 3 sucks.

Who cares?

- spidey

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN

• Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN

No, Terminator 1 DID suck.

BAN

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    WTF??

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    WTF??

No doubt! The first one was the best.

"ARE YOU SARAH CONNOR?"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This will be directed by McG, who did the Charlie's Angels movies.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This will be directed by McG, who did the Charlie's Angels movies.

x2

• Terminator 1 sucked.

you really need to stop posting about movies

Terminator one is a hood classic.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Terminator 1 sucked.

You don't like 80s action movies.

Bale as Connor is actually a step up on the kind of irritants they've had in the role previously. I don't expect this movie to have any more relation to the original films than Alien Vs Predator did to those series.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN
    okay you gotta break down this opinion for the masses of soulstrut, because you two are the only people i have ever heard say terminator 1 sucked. if it sucked why tha hell did you ever see 2?

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts

it was ok .. i still have the VHS

on the other hand .. terminator 2 ...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I heard terminator 4: salvation is actually just about jumping over sharks.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

it was ok .. i still have the VHS

on the other hand .. terminator 2 ...

ha! I remember thinking eddie furlong was so cool. I didnt remember the public enemy shirt. That movie did make me go out and buy use your illusion 2 on cassete though. So its gotta be some powerful shit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN
    okay you gotta break down this opinion for the masses of soulstrut, because you two are the only people i have ever heard say terminator 1 sucked. if it sucked why tha hell did you ever see 2?

really.

Terminator 1 was, is, and shall always remain a motherfucking classic.

check yourself.

Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN

really.

check yourself.

Terminator came out in 1984. I was born in 1983. It wasn't till I was at least 14 or 15 when I ended up seeing it. By then it was fairly dated and sad. Though, Arnold was semi-interesting, Kyle and Sara were boring.

I can hardly sit through the whole thing now. The soundtrack was GARBAGE. I can name 100 movies I would rather watch than that one..

I do like 80's action movies. Die hard is my number 2 favorite movie of all time. I'll still sit and watch the original Hitcher all the way through. Raiders of the lost ark, Escape from New York, The Killer.. Dude there were alot of great 80's action. I just thought Terminator was shit. Also Robocop was Ultrashit.

- spidey

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Also Robocop was Ultrashit.

- spidey

I can't believe you have taken it there. Robocop is one of the holy trinity of eighties action movies. I cry for you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    May I also add that T3 wasn't really all that bad even if it was very derivative of the previous two. I didn't think it sucked but it did seem like the franchise was on its last legs...yet now we have the Sarah Connor Chronicles about to jump off, plus T4 in the pipeline. Man, Hollywood just won't let anything go.

• Terminator 1 sucked.

BAN

really.

check yourself.

Terminator came out in 1984. I was born in 1983. It wasn't till I was at least 14 or 15 when I ended up seeing it. By then it was fairly dated and sad. Though, Arnold was semi-interesting, Kyle and Sara were boring.

I can hardly sit through the whole thing now. The soundtrack was GARBAGE. I can name 100 movies I would rather watch than that one..

I do like 80's action movies. Die hard is my number 2 favorite movie of all time. I'll still sit and watch the original Hitcher all the way through. Raiders of the lost ark, Escape from New York, The Killer.. Dude there were alot of great 80's action. I just thought Terminator was shit. Also Robocop was Ultrashit.

- spidey

^^^^WHIPPER-SNAPPER-ESQUE

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I heard terminator 4: salvation is actually just about jumping over sharks.

Yea, but it's Christian Bale jumping over rare alloy terminator sharks with glowing red eyes and snappy one liners. "This sushi bites back bitch!"

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Die hard is my number 2 favorite movie of all time.

You need to watch a lot more movies.

• Die hard is my number 2 favorite movie of all time.

Yeah, "Die Hard" and "favorite" don't go too well together. The other things you mentioned (Escape from New York, The Killer) are all easily better than Die Hard, no matter how you look at it.

As for Terminator 1, I can't say that I ride for it, but it's cool for what it is.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yeah, "Die Hard" and "favorite" don't go too well together. The other things you mentioned (Escape from New York, The Killer) are all easily better than Die Hard, no matter how you look at it.

Disagree. Die Hard isn't my #2 favorite movie of all time or anything, but it was an exemplary action film that's still better than most of the shit that passes for action films today (including all three of the Die Hard sequels).

I'm not dissing "Escape From New York" or my love for The Woo (even if I'd put "Hard Boiled" > "The Killer"), but "Die Hard" is no second string action flick.

As for Terminator 1, I can't say that I ride for it, but it's cool for what it is.

I watch a ton of movies. All the mainstream stuff, Indie stuff, Old school stuff, expiremental art house stuff, Documentarys. I love film.

Die hard has become my favorite christmas movie, and I've probably watched it more than anyother film.

Something about John Mcclane fighting a building full of terrorists barefoot is my SHIT.

- spidey

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

I watch a ton of movies. All the mainstream stuff, Indie stuff, Old school stuff, expiremental art house stuff, Documentarys. I love film.

Die hard has become my favorite christmas movie, and I've probably watched it more than anyother film.

Something about John Mcclane fighting a building full of terrorists barefoot is my SHIT.

- spidey

I must admit to turning the surround sound up REAL loud when he drops that C-4 down the elevator shaft.

• I don't want to derail this thread, but what's so good about Die Hard? I see its historical value (spawning some Segal films isn't much to brag about, though), Willis is clearly at his best and the action sequences are fine. A couple of things that bother me about it: most of the characters are idiotic and cliche (the police chief, the hostages, FBI, the reporter, etc.) and the relationship between Willis and the guy on the radio is very contrived. Yeah, you don't watch an action film for that stuff, but as far as mood and action goes, Woo is clearly superior or even things like First Blood. I actually used to rate Die Hard as a good action film, but I just saw it again a few days ago, and was very unimpressed.

And what's up with ALL the Germans having pony tails or long hair?

But back to John Connor-- Bale is a good choice, I think.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    May I also add that T3 wasn't really all that bad even if it was very derivative of the previous two.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Yo, all this talk about action flicks and no mention of Predator? That shit was grandiose.

• Die hard is my number 2 favorite movie of all time.

I want to know where Lethal Weapon and 48 Hours places on his list.

• bale, focus on this guy...

• Can't beleive nobody has brought up this little pooch dook.

Can I get an "Oy vey"?