being asked for an artist that you are spinning

2»

Comments

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I just remembered a funny request that I got a couple weeks back in Germany...

I'm playing Roy Ayers - "Running Away" and the whole night I had been playing Jazz, latin, soul, funk , etc.. German dude comes up with tissue paper stuffed in his ears (budget earplugs perhaps) , and says "Do you have Kylie Minogue?" (first in German but then I switched him to English).

I promptly said no and then he says "Do you have any music that is less ethnic? The people here don't like to dance to this music".

Meanwhile 100 people on the dance floor contradicted his point entirely.. I had to just slowly walk backwards towards the turntables and continue .. funny shit though..

Good times indeed

• Once at a party someone asked me to play "some Stones." A few songs later I threw on "Rocks Off" from Exile. Same guy came up to me and said "this is great, who is this?"
    Another time a friend was DJing a happy hour back in the early 90's. She was playing "No Woman, No Cry" when this guy came up and asked "is this Ziggy Marley?"
    "No," she replied, "it's his dad Bob."

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    wow you guys are pricks.

oh, and the word "spinning"....

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Remember these people are drunk--not putting an ounce of thought into what they are doing. I was doing a funk/soul 45 set last weekend in SC. This girl comes up and asks for some backpacker shit. I said 'No requests, sorry'. She walked away all asshurt and her boyfriend gave me the gas face a few times for the rest of the night. I ended up bumping into them at an after-party. He walked right over to me. I was prepared to fight, but he ended up packing me a nice bowl and told me they loved my set. People are funny.

ha ha yeah. i always associate that word with trance.

or girls who dance to stuff like this...

• The one standout time I remember this happening was when a familiar-looking lady asked to hear some Funkadelic, so I played it.

As soon as the record starts, I leave the booth for a minute and track her down. "Say, I think I know you, are you _______?"

She says, with a smile, "if you play my Funkadelic, I am!"

In the meantime, Funkadelic's "I Got A Thing..." has been playing in the background all this time and she doesn't recognize it. (Although, to be fair, she may have been expecting one of their later semi-disco songs like "Knee Deep" or "One Nation Under A Groove"; she wouldn't have made the connection to some acid-funk record like "I Got A Thing...".)

Care to elaborate on who this was...

Well, I'd never seen her before and probably haven't seen her since (this happened in 1989), so there's nothing to elaborate on. Cute white girl who looked to be in her late twenties, reminded me of somebody I was acquainted with, but turns out I didn't know her from Eve. She was nice about the request, as I recall, which is why my reaction was more amusement than disgust.

• this thread's one of the reasons i generally hate all DJ's.

this thread's one of the reasons i generally hate all DJ's.

Is that why it took you 5 months to post here?

• you sound offended...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• i'm british...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This quip is why i generally hate all brits.

- spidey

• i generally hate all brits too, why'd you think i no longer live there..

i generally hate all brits too, why'd you think i no longer live there..

I'm just trying to figure out why you have Patrick Swayze as your avatar.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    here you go boy
    hit me

damn that shit was like an hour long

here you go boy

He's got more make-up on than Kate Jackson in Looking for Mr. Goodbar!

R.I.P.

here you go boy

He's got more make-up on than Kate Jackson in Looking for Mr. Goodbar!

R.I.P.

who is/was he ?

• R.I.P.

who is/was he ?
    Charles Nelson Reilly, a notoriously effeminate game-show contestant who used to turn up on several TV shows in the eighties. He was famous for something - I know he hosted this Saturday morning kids' series called Uncle Croc's Block - but seems like most people remember him for his constant guest spots on The Match Game (from which this picture originates).

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "Yeah, Charles Nelson Reilly, he's our man,
    He can't heal the sick with the touch of his hand,
    He can't walk on water, can't make wine flow;
    Just another greedy actor on the late late show!"

Name those lyrics SoulStrut!

• R.I.P.

who is/was he ?

Charles Nelson Reilly, a notoriously effeminate game-show contestant who used to turn up on several TV shows in the eighties. He was famous for something - I know he hosted this Saturday morning kids' series called Uncle Croc's Block - but seems like most people remember him for his constant guest spots on The Match Game (from which this picture originates).
    I always though of him as the poor man's Paul Lynne...the OG effeminate snarky game show regular

I think there used be a punk band called Full Nelson Reilly

merci

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

hahaha, took the words right out my mouth.

ive only played out once, so i dont have any DJ stories, but since i play whatever i want at work, i definitely have my fair share of questions about whats playing.

pretty much no matter what, if its a funk 45 playing SOMEBODY will mention that "this is james brown" or something similar...

occasionally somebody will ask who's playing, i'll tell them and then theyll be like "ohhh" as though they knew but just couldnt remember. not that its totally impossible that they DID know who it was already, but usually it's something fairly rare that i wouldnt expect the everyday average college kid to know about, and i just think its funny...but who knows. also lots of "oh, this doesnt sound like his other stuff" when its like the ONE 45 a band released....

the best experience was when some old guy asked what was playing when stark reality was on, i told him, then he told me to tell him about the band, which i know a fair deal about...he was definitely familiar with john abercrombie and proceeded to ask if there was a record shop in town with the record, i told him where it was and he was off...later that day i went into the shop and somebody working was like "did you send some guy in here to buy stark reality "Now"?

that made me feel pretty good.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Dead Milkmen. Rocked that tape to death at age 15, still think of that song to this day on the rare occasion CNR is mentioned.

• how awesome! charles nelson riley!

yeah so, last month at my oldies gig 2 girls come up to the "record staging area" and was like

'HEY CAN U PLAY SOME NORTHERN SOUL'

and i was like

'THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL'

and she's like

'NO ITS NOT'

and im like

'OH, YEAH I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS HONESTLY'

and she walks off disgusted