what kind of tea do you get down with?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Been drinking lots of teas lately at work and at home. Im particularly fond of this pomegranate green tea here , pineapple ginger green teahere , and on cold nights i like to drink a cup of coconut chai tea with some milk. Any suggestions on some unique teas for me to try?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    My girl is a tea freak - we got a cupboard devoted entirely to various teas. I used to drink green tea daily, and I still try to, but lately she's got me onto various blends of pepermint tea for it's apparent digestive benefits.

• I usually start my day with some green tea sometimes jasmine or morroacnie mint, just to get that caffine kick that I lost when I quit drinking Coffee. Occasionally I'll also drink Vanilla Bean tea which for some reason reminds me of drinking coffee. Usually end the night with some caffine free pepermint.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I actually drink Lipton because I like it for iced tea. I wouldn't drink it hot, though. Anyhow, flavor is less perceptible in cold things than hot things, so for hot teas, I prefer the more exotic stuff. All tea has great health benefits (antioxidants), and even fights cavities, so long as it's not sweetened. White tea is picked by trained monkeys, since they can easily access the tips of the plants.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I usually start my day with some green tea sometimes jasmine or morroacnie mint, just to get that caffine kick that I lost when I quit drinking Coffee. Occasionally I'll also drink Vanilla Bean tea which for some reason reminds me of drinking coffee. Usually end the night with some caffine free pepermint.

Yeah, I always drink the pepermint tea at night. it's supposed to eb good for settling your stomache after a meal / before sleep and is obviously free of caffiene.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I usually start my day with some green tea sometimes jasmine or morroacnie mint, just to get that caffine kick that I lost when I quit drinking Coffee. Occasionally I'll also drink Vanilla Bean tea which for some reason reminds me of drinking coffee. Usually end the night with some caffine free pepermint.

Yeah, I always drink the pepermint tea at night. it's supposed to eb good for settling your stomache after a meal / before sleep and is obviously free of caffiene.

unsweetened peppermint and ginger tea are both excellent for calming your stomach.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• No one else is allowed to post in this thread until hemol shows up.

• i haven't had caffeinated coffee in a long time, because yerba mate pretty much takes care of me in that regard. i like it really strong and bitter. any other time it's decaf green just to get all those good antioxidants and such.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• -

• peppermint

• green tea iced

hot earl grey and pg tips...

word.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    oolong

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    earl grey with honey & no milk.
    i also drink lipton iced tea like its my job
    with brisk a very close second.

• You guys can have your teas. My Mama make the best tea ever. You can't beat my mother's sweet tea.

I had some eucalyptus (sp?) for the first time recently. It was tasty.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Green Tea (the real shit, not teabags) when I listen to Japanese raers
    Cammomile when I need to chill
    Licorice when I'm constipated
    Earl Grey is dat classic shit
    Peppermint when my breath stank

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I like Chai with some milk and a little bit of ground pepper. It gives a tiny bit of bite to a really good spiced tea.

I am down with green tea and flavored green teas too.

As for iced tea i am at an impass. Turkey Hill was my failsafe and their stuff tastes different these days, so Honest T and Tazo here and there but not all that much.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    For no messing around daily dosage I still have to go with

• english breakfast tea

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    at work: rooibos with lemongrass and organgepeel
    in the morning: darjeeling (whole leaves)
    at night: melissa, chamomile, linden tree flowers, peppermint, sage, verbena, lavender mix

really good: green tea - mix it with caramelized ginger bits in your mouth

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    peppermint. top stuff.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

Few years ago used to drink coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night.
    This shit now hooks me up digestively day in day out.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Tsai tou vounou...otherwise known as Greek Mountain Tea...Sheppard's Tea...as well as Ironwort or Sideritis. Can usually find the stalks with flowers at local import stores.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mountain_tea

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    english breakfast tea

Yup. This or Earl Grey--gotta have one of 'em in the morning to get my day going.

Few years ago used to drink coffee. Black as midnight on a moonless night.
    This shit now hooks me up digestively day in day out.

I've been thinking about making that switch.

• warm nettle tea

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

really good: green tea - mix it with caramelized ginger bits in your mouth

gourmet

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    strictly looseleaf and no mixtures or added flavours

darjeeling, Japanese green teas, peppermint, verbena and lemongrass are my faves

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    No one else is allowed to post in this thread until hemol shows up.

Woot Woot.

If you're looking for exotic teas I always recommend Pu-Erh. It's an oxidized, and fermented Chinese Tea. It is often compacted into little 'nuggets', as it was used for currency at one point in China. It has an earthy, and somewhat mushroom-like flavor, and can be brewed very long without going bitter. Brewing it strong will make it quite thick, and dark. This means it will have very high caffeine levels, so avoid it at night. It's great in the winter.

Genmaicha is another more exotic tea, but it's flavor is a lot easier to get used to. It's basically Japanese Sencha (a fired green tea), along with toasted rice, and dried corn kernels. if you buy some that is of a decent quality it will have have very vegetal scent, mixed with a slightly yeasty toastiness. The flavor is relatively mild, but distinct. The flavors of the corn and rice mix nicely with the tea leaves. This is also another great winter tea. Nice between breakfast and lunch.

Kukicha is another Japanese green tea, and is traditionally consumed in Winter months. It is made from tea 'twigs'. These twigs are the last salvageable parts of the tea tree that are left in the winter. It has a rather bold flavor that is somewhat similar to the Chinese green tea 'Dragon's Well'.

A few general things about tea:

The only teas that should be brewed with boiling water are black teas, pu-erh teas, fully oxidized oolongs, and teas you don't care about. Boiling water will burn green and white teas because it is too hot. This is easily avoided by putting a little bit of cold water into your vessel before adding the hot water.

The amount of time that passes between when the tea leaves sprout, and when the tea leaves are harvested determines the type of tea that is made. As tea leaves remain on the tree without being harvested they lose antioxidants, and gain caffeine due to oxidization. The earliest harvested teas are white teas, which are thus high in antioxidants, and low in caffeine. Green teas stay on a bit longer, lose some antioxidants and gain a little bit of caffeine, and so forth.

Oolong teas are typically grown in Taiwan. These teas can range from green to fully oxidized. They are known for their powerful aroma.

Teas are not named arbitrarily, they're a lot like wines. Different kinds of teas are made from different varietals of tea plants.