Do hipsters like Boom-Bap?

2»

Comments

• I am going to go ahead and assume hipsters love krs-1.

No, they like Snoop and NWA actually. Serious.

your right! I seem to remember winking/knowing looks while white chicks and their gang signs are thrown in the middle of "Gin and Juice".

I guess Grand Puba never made it to the 'burbs???

we are definitely conflating W-Burg Hipsters with just random white girls at this point.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Not yet...but they will in about 3 years.

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming. I'm already hearing stories about mysterious parties where hipsters dance to, like, Black Moon and shit.

wow. my definition of a hipster is REALLY off then. i can't even imagine anyone that i would label a hipster dancing to "buck em down"

I'm so

When sarcasm goes horribly awry.

• I guess Grand Puba never made it to the 'burbs???

we are definitely conflating W-Burg Hipsters with just random white girls at this point.

on one hand your right...and on the other hand Willy-b is changing...

• Hipsters also like Lil Wayne...

• Obviously the soulstrut definition of "hipster" is pretty wide open. You should be able to play to whatever crowd your signed on to play to, or I guess I dont know why you'd be playing. Am I right? Or is this just a way to make fun of those "hipsters" again. Hipsters tend to like dj's who are atleast seemingly competent/confident- so if you can slay it with the boom-bap then go ahead. In my experiences rap of all kinds played well will be perfect hipster fodder. I say if you really need advice then just play a bunch of electro-ish rap joints. But like I said earlier I don't think you really want an answer, you'd rather make fun of the people you think you have to dj for and what they may or may not like. Said it before, say it again- if you know what a hipster is, your probably not to far off yourself...

• if you know what a hipster is, your probably not to far off yourself...

a hipster is the replacement to the soulstrut whipping boy of choice...the backpacker.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    if you know what a hipster is, your probably not to far off yourself...

a hipster is the replacement to the soulstrut whipping boy of choice...the backpacker.

What about a hipster who rocks a backpack?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

What about a hipster who rocks a backpack?

hip-hopster.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the hipsters i know hate classic hip hop. i gave a copy of the chi-ali lp to a hipster friend and he was like: "ehhhhhh, this is old music!!!"

Well there are better examples of Classic Hip Hop than Chi Ali's album.

i would nominate this album for BoomBap Hipster Hop.....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    backpacker > hipster

lol jk fake provocation

backpacker > hipster

BackPackster

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i want to say i appreciate backpackers more, more wide-eyed earnestness and less ironic racism, but on the other hand there are also less women.

• if you know what a hipster is, your probably not to far off yourself...

you mean they're not one and the same??

I remember when Backpacking was acceptable.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

They're completely different: the hipster dabbles superficially in a bunch of different things; the backpacker focuses obsessively on an extremely narrow range of things.

Not saying one is better/worse than the other, just saying.

• The hipsters are laughin right back at you guys. Only they are getting pussy from hot chicks in crazy make up while you guys post in internet forums.

• backpacker is one of the all time greatest nicknames/stereotypes/classifications. basically harmless, but so on point. if you were walking around an east coast city with a backpack that didn't have any books in it, chances were pretty high that you knew every artist signed to Rawkus.

• backpackers carried backpacks so they could keep paint cans and CDs they sold in them. that was the origonal notion at least. Seems kinda positive to me. Independent music hustlers and Hip hop culture contributors.

If your not perfect you should not contribute though?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The hipsters are laughin right back at you guys. Only they are posting on MySpace while you guys post in internet forums.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The hipsters are laughin right back at you guys. Only they are getting pussy from hot chicks in crazy make up while you guys post in internet forums.

this is kind of true, only kind of, as there are exceptions and crossovers to both camps, duh

• i want to say i appreciate backpackers more, more wide-eyed earnestness and less ironic racism, but on the other hand there are also less women.

this is why (even though it may not be apparent in this post) i'm not hating on the so-called hipsters. They got girls at the parties!

AND I WANT THEM TO DANCE!

Backpackers carried Backpacks so they could keep paint cans and CDs/Weed/Extra underwear/rhyme notebooks/40oz/Dutchmasters/Guns/Sweatpants/Utility Knives/leather boot polish/toothbrush/sunglasses/matches & lighters/schoolbooks/hotsauce/records to sample/promo cassettes/extra kicks to B-Ball in/tissue paper/Mastermarkers/UNIs/Headphones/Mics/Sample machines/phonebooks/turtle wax/chew sticks/bath towels/condoms/shanks/tic-tacs/bottleopener....... That was the original notion at least.

Befroe the term was around the more adventurous cats were rocking expedition backpacks. Way before there was a Rawkus.

Then the second wave continued wore it as a symbol of "keepin it real". Which was str8 silliness

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Hipsters?

• The hipsters are laughin right back at you guys. Only they are getting pussy from hot chicks in crazy make up while you guys post in internet forums.

Maybe I am at the wrong hispter parties, but the amount of ugly girls at hipster events FAAAR outweighs the good looking ones.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i donno about 'far outwieghs' but i think its funny how dudes will get all mad at 'beckys' but then get all excited about hipster parties having 'hot girls,' sorry but i am not so big on flabby hipsteur girls and a clever haircut does not = hott

i donno about 'far outwieghs' but i think its funny how dudes will get all mad at 'beckys' but then get all excited about hipster parties having 'hot girls,' sorry but i am not so big on flabby hipsteur girls and a clever haircut does not = hott

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Hipsters?

• Hipsters?

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts

I have to go to okayplayer.com now...

• i donno about 'far outwieghs' but i think its funny how dudes will get all mad at 'beckys' but then get all excited about hipster parties having 'hot girls,' sorry but i am not so big on flabby hipsteur girls and a clever haircut does not = hott

these are the wrong parties...but still