drawing up a DJ contract (help related)

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I gotta get a contract for these people i'm doing a V-day party for, i've never really done the contract thing before so i'm hoping those of you with experience in this area can shed some light on the correct format and whatnot. Any advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Thanks-P77

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    EVENT CONTRACT
    DJ Name
    contact info
    contact info
    contact info
    Party #1:
    Party #2: DJ
    1. Type of engagement(s):
    2. Place of engagement(s):
    3. Date(s) and time(s) of engagement(s):
    Please note: Agreements must be returned to our office 15 days from the date sent to guarantee your date. If this is a problem, please notify us.
    4. Type of service to be provided: Sound Disc Jockey Service to include two turntables, 1 mixer, a 3 speaker PA system, 2 microphones, laptop and records. Additional equipment should be requested as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days prior to event. Specific song requests must be submitted no later than 5 days before the event.
    5. Fee agreed upon: $_____
    6. Party #1 will make payments as follows: Deposit of $____ to hold the date, remainder payable to the disc jockey during or immediately after the conclusion of the event.
    7. Party #1 shall at all times have complete supervision, direction and control over the services provided by this agreement and the ends to be accomplished as long as they are in keeping with accepted professional practices and equipment capabilities.
    8. The liability of Party #2 to perform said services is subject to proven detention by sickness, accidents, or any other actions not under its control.
    9. This agreement may be canceled by either party only on written notice at least 30 days prior to the engagement(s) noted above. The burden of proof of cancellation will be on the canceling party. Cancellation by DJ NAME will result in full refund of all payments. Timely cancellation by Party #1 will result in the refund of all payments received by DJ NAME including the $____ deposit.
    10. All payments made towards the obligations stated in this agreement except as outlined in paragraph 9, will be non-refundable.
    11. Party #1 also agrees to supply adequate local power, tables and other requested materials.
    12. Additional terms and conditions: None
    Please send this copy of the agreement with the deposit to us in order to confirm your date(s). You may make a copy for your own records.

Party #1

Part #2

• ^^^^^

don't use this

What are you trying to drum up some business?

• What are you trying to drum up some business?

ha. no, i'm just suggesting that he (and you) not use that contract...ever. i don't know why any dj would want to bind himself to terms and clauses that offer you (as the dj) no benefit, and that can easily be used against you. including the exact equipment you will be using? giving the customer "direct supervision" rights?

there are serious problems with basically every paragraph of that contract. i don't think you necessarily have to go to a lawyer for a one-time valentine's day party. however, if you are going to use a contract, think about why you are putting each term and clause in and who will benefit. most importantly, unless the other party demands that a term or clause be put in that will restrict or burden you as the dj, leave it out!

What are you trying to drum up some business?

ha. no, i'm just suggesting that he (and you) not use that contract...ever. i don't know why any dj would want to bind himself to terms and clauses that offer you (as the dj) no benefit, and that can easily be used against you. including the exact equipment you will be using? giving the customer "direct supervision" rights?

there are serious problems with basically every paragraph of that contract. i don't think you necessarily have to go to a lawyer for a one-time valentine's day party. however, if you are going to use a contract, think about why you are putting each term and clause in and who will benefit. most importantly, unless the other party demands that a term or clause be put in that will restrict or burden you as the dj, leave it out!

that's what i'm talking about. what's your paypal? i been using that shit for years. lol.

i don't know why any dj would want to bind himself to terms and clauses that offer you (as the dj) no benefit

i don't see that

and that can easily be used against you

neither. but anything can be used against me.

including the exact equipment you will be using?

definitely. mainly because i don't not want complaints when i don't have projector for Aunt Mary's baby picture slide show or lasers lights or karaoke or whatever

giving the customer "direct supervision" rights?

absolutely. especially for weddings.

most of that shit is about refunding money.

i never use contracts for parties. only weddings and the primary purpose is for the client to have the date secured.

• this really isn't debatable. you are not helping this guy by posting up your bootleg contract. its not a good model.

i can understand why you want to be specific on the equipment, but you didn't leave yourself a backdoor in case a mic breaks or a tt isn't working properly. there shouldn't be any absolutes on your side where there is the slightest chance that things might not go as planned. again, this does not look like a contract written by a dj, but more like a contract written by a customer. finally, the whole contract is filled with legal terms and conclusions which serve you no benefit and are also meaningless.

debate? huh. i'm trying to get free legal advice.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

that's how i got my bootleg shit. watch out, son!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Oh well, that is what you get for FREE

• Oh well, that is what you get for FREE

exactly

• well, thanks anyways, like i said i've never done a contract b4 and for me its more about coverage for my equiptment and not getting jerked on the $/ date side of thangs..But this has been insightful,thanks-P77

well, thanks anyways, like i said i've never done a contract b4 and for me its more about coverage for my equiptment and not getting jerked on the $/ date side of thangs..But this has been insightful,thanks-P77

you should have your equipment insured indepentently of any particular gig.

• that was actually my next question..how does that work/cost? Is it through like state farm or some shit like that??Sorry if i'm comin' off real ignent

• i love that "party of the first part party of the second part" schit.

also, i think you should add a notary line

that was actually my next question..how does that work/cost? Is it through like state farm or some shit like that??Sorry if i'm comin' off real ignent

yes, but i use USAA

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

you should have your equipment insured indepentently of any particular gig.
    Who offers this and how does it work?