Turf Talk
    Freeway
    UGK
    The Federation
    Jay Z
    Devin
    Redman
    Kanye West

TI was a crock of shit as was Chamillionaire. I couldn't even make it all the way through the Common album. I wasn't really feeling either the Twista, Rich Boy, Beanie or Hawk albums though maybe I should revisist. That Gerald G mixtape is superb.

Though not a real album I rather liked We The Best

I haven't heard the Bone Thugs album yet, is it really that good?

I got lost in the two and fro going on but is Nas no longer releasing an album this year?

• has been pretty damn good. who would have thought the roc would put out three of the year's best albums? shit i'm feeling this year (in no particular order)

eightball and mjg - ridin' high
    devin - waiting to inhale
    hawk - endangered species
    turf talk - west coast vaccine
    ugk - ugk
    trae - life goes on
    federation - it's whateva
    jay-z - american gangster
    freeway - free at last
    beanie sigel - the solution

i'm sure i missed something so if anyone wants to fill in any blanks, please do so.

Eight ball & mjg released an album this year??

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Releases i dug this year

Cunninlynguists Dirty Acres...This just came out but damn Kno's beats are fire...its got devin the dude on it for all you backpack haters!

Phat Kat Carte Blanche...One of the Ds finest no doubt. Great production by dilla, blackmilk.

A-Love Ace of Hearts...Australias best female artists long awaited album finally drops.

Bouncer Crew...aka Dj Cam puts together a fine album of Detroit inspired beats fts Mc Eight, Frank and Dank.

Jazzy Jeff Return of the Magnificent... All round great album...Jeff who?

Waajeed War...more dark and stripped back than his PPP work. The tracks with tiombe lockhart always have me rewinding.

Pharoah Monch...Desire. Probably my favourite of the year. That PE cover is fire and i don't hate a single track on the album.

and im goin to throw in 8 Diagrams, Marco Polo's LP, Blu and exile was aiight but nothing stood out. Common and Nas had some good tracks but fell far short.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Pharoah Monch...Desire. Probably my favourite of the year. That PE cover is fire and i don't hate a single track on the album.

Ha ha ha.

Wait, you're joking right?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Ha ha ha.

Loc: Sydney

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i prefered Monch to the new Freeway. i'm a big fan of Free but minus about 2 tracks this new one ain't great, he's like an old computer that no one wants to take off your hands.

the only 'hot' albums to drop this year were UGK, Devin and Kanye.

Ha ha ha.

This comming from someone who likes richboy??? im sorry but your opinion is void as far as im concerned.

Ha ha ha.

prefered Monch to the new Freeway. i'm a big fan of Free but minus about 2 tracks this new one ain't great, he's like an old computer that no one wants to take off your hands

I don't understand how you can like Freeway but not his new album. I am also intrigued about what endears the Monch to people. Is it the entirely pointless cover of PE? The 10 minute earache that is Trilogy?

You really didn't like tracks like free? desire? Push?...even a couple of years ago if someone had covered a PE track i would have been doubtful. But monch makes it work.

You really didn't like tracks like free? desire? Push?...even a couple of years ago if someone had covered a PE track i would have been doubtful. But monch makes it work.

I rate Monch as a truly gifted MC and lyricist and hope that he has a great solo album left in him but I honestly thought Desire was an unfocused mess with some terrible production. The PE tribute was particularly pointless as if you're going to cover a legendary track it's normally worth bringing something new to the table, be it production or lyric wise. I just don't see how that could be anyone's best rap album of the year.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    you are completely correct that Desire is an unfocused mess, comparing it to Free at Last is very much the difference between a couple of good songs. I don't think anything on the new one reaches the dizzy heights of 'What We Do' / 'Flipside' / 'Line Em Up' / 'You Don't Know'. The first in particular is a classic of undeniable magnitude.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Monch album - of course that's my man but you know like as a full album it fell short. The singles were better than the sum of it's parts.

The UGK album was too long. The Devin album wasn't dynamic enough (for me) to be a really good "full album" - same with the Redman.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Turf Talk
    UGK
    Common
    Kanye
    Freeway
    Young Buck
    Rich Boy

all got much play from me.

Man, go on with these biased-azz lists--don't you have tracks on half of those?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    rich boy was WACK. two-track album

Well, he's no Shawnna.
    damn f uckin straight he's not
    i know thats supposed to be clowning me but seriously, dude blows. shawnna can rap. you're a herb with lazy zings

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I kind of have to agree that the UGK double could've been cut down to a single, but it's really damn good.
    i don't know how you could make this a single CD without cutting out some great tracks. It was easily more than a full CD worth of classic material + on par with their best.

the idea that its more important to have an album be a 'consistent statement of art' or some shit vs. 'a double disc packed with great tracks' is silly to me

more great songs = better

• Yes, your disdain for the album as anything more than a storage unit for songs is well documented.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    yes, its almost as predictable as folks saying a double cd would have been better as one

• It is indeed difficult to approach the level of stand-the-world-on-its-ear novelty evident in your rhetoric.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you're right, i've been a fool all this time thinking i could change the world from a music message board

• Turf Talk
    UGK
    Common
    Kanye
    Freeway
    Young Buck
    Rich Boy

all got much play from me.

Man, go on with these biased-azz lists--don't you have tracks on half of those?

lol. I left out some albums that I did stuff on. I forgot to put Little Brother on my list too. If a album has at least 4 songs that I like, its a success to me these days.

• If a album has at least 4 songs that I like, its a success to me these days.

• Walking BankRoll >>>>> This thread

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    rich boy was WACK. two-track album

Well, he's no Shawnna.
    damn f uckin straight he's not

i know thats supposed to be clowning me but seriously, dude blows. shawnna can rap. you're a herb with lazy zings

Uncharacteristically agressive.

Hath a nerve been touched?

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Twista, Bone and Prodigy albums were also all real good--year of the veteran.

Definitely, the old-timers still have it.

Speaking of which, I nominate the WC album as my favorite of the year. Dub C hasn't lost a step.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Man, after twenty years of buying new rap, I came so close to making it through 2007 without buying any for the first time. Maybe 2008 is the year?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Man, after twenty years of buying new rap, I came so close to making it through 2007 without buying any for the first time. Maybe 2008 is the year?

Why set such a condescending goal?

Could this be why?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im glad to see alot of yall are still enjoying this stuff. but to me it was a pretty half assed year.

seriously? rich boy? twista?

I dont hear it.

I liked.

prodigy - this album was cool. not mindblowng, but kinda hot.

american gangster - growing on me.

Kanye west - classic.

Common - had some good tracks. Southside was the shit.

Curtis - I liked the jake one beats. and I get money was kinda hot.

The ugk single was cool, ummm....theres a couple joints on the freeway album, mabye a mixtape cut or two from wayne.

thats about it,

• The best album this year was DJ STATIK SELEKTAH - SPELL MY NAME RIGHT. It was a comp so I know it's hard to count, but i found it better than anything else.

• *to add variety to the recurring picks*

talib's album was good

NOT QUITE THE DEF. OF (hatteurs)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Why set such a condescending goal?

Could this be why?

It's not a goal for me, just a statement of fact. I actually heard plenty of stuff I liked in 2007, but for whatever reason I didn't have the motivation to even download any of it, let alone go out and buy it.