PET ADOPTION

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
i want to get my folks a pooch for xmas. they dont want no breeded lap dog thing so i was thinking the pound or some such. anyone ever do this? i need help. thanks!

Comments

• i've adopted a cat from the humane society before. $115 fixed with all the shots and a little chip in it so they can trace if it gets lost and comes back to them. not sure what the deal is with dogs, but i think adoption is the way to go...

• humane society. yes. thank you.

• Adopting an animal in need is one of the best things you could ever do! It's a very rewarding experience. Adopting from any institution is a good thing but I would also check out the "No Kill" Shelters in your area.

• thanks for the tips! its for my folks so hopefully theyll feel rewarded by it. but i know theyll like a pound dog more cuz they are country folk, not city folk. i doubt they care about the "rescue" part that much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I definitely recommend the Humane Society route. I currently have a sweetheart of a dog, a 140 lb. Chocolate Lab that was rescued from the local Humane Society. The only thing I recommend is if you adopt anything other than a puppy find out the history of the dog and how/why it wound up at the Humane Society. Here is the story of our dog, Buster.

About 8 years ago, the week before Thanksgiving, my wife and kids stopped by the local Humane Society and came home BEGGING me to adopt this big goofy dog they had fell in love with. After some constant nagging I finally went to see this dog. I immediately saw why my wife and kids wanted him. He was friendly and huge but there had to be a reason why such a beautiful dog was up for adoption. I asked the young lady who worked there ???Why did the owner bring the dog here???? She got this strange look on her face and motioned for me to follow her into a back room!! Once we were away from my kids, in a whisper she told me???.???The owner had a farm in a town some 60 miles away and owned two chocolate Labs. One day she came home and the dogs had jumped over a fence and killed every pig, duck and chicken she owned. The next day she dropped them off at the Humane Society on her way to work??? Ah-Ha???I KNEW there was a reason this dog had been abandoned???it was the proverbial ???egg-sucking dog???, every farmer???s nightmare.

I came out of the back room and told my kids??????Sorry, we can???t get this dog, he???s a KILLER!!!??? The adoption girl quickly butted in??????Do you have any chicken, pigs or ducks???????..Well no???we didn???t???..???Then he won???t be a problem??????.she was giving the ???hard sell???. My two young kids were taking up right where she left off ???Yeah Dad, he won???t be a problem, look at him, he wouldn???t hurt a fly???.

I threatened my kids that if they were bad, I'd dress them up in Pig and Duck costumes and let Buster have his way with them.

After conferring with my wife I gave in and agreed to adopt ???Buster???. We brought him home and I decided I needed to ???test??? him right away to see just what I had gotten myself into. I went to the store, bought him a big juicy meat bone from the Butcher Shop, and gave it to him to munch on which he dove right into. After about 15 minutes I walked over to him and slowly snatched the bone out of his mouth. He just looked up and stared at me with this goofy puppy dog look. I knew we had a keeper.

About a month later I received a call from the Humane Society saying it was urgent that I come to see them ASAP. I thought the worst???..did the owner of Buster want him back??? Was the person who brought him in not the real owner and now the REAL owner wanted him back? All the way there I was worried that somehow, this goofy dog that had become part of my family, was going to be taken away. As I walked in the girl who helped us adopt Buster ran over and quickly swept me in to the back room. ???We have a problem??? she said??????.Oh shit, I was right???well dammit, you???re gonna have to fight me to get him back, was all I could think. ???Remember the OTHER Chocolate Lab that was brought in with Buster??? she asked?????????Um, yeah???????????????Well, last week she had 11 puppies and I KNOW you???re going to want to adopt a couple of them???. ?????? I was obviously relieved and taken by surprise. ???No, I don???t think we have enough room for three big dogs, but I appreciate you thinking about me???

I drove home just happy that I didn???t have to tell my kids that Buster had to leave. And I didn???t really regret passing on the puppies, at least for a few weeks. That???s when I ran into ???Adoption Girl??? at a local store and asked how it was going finding the puppies a good home. ???Well, some of them were adopted out, but 3 of them died!!??? ???Damn, how did they die??? I asked her. ???We have ???criminals??? that pay their debt to society by doing community service at the Humane Society and one of them ???accidently??? killed three puppies.??? Now I felt bad about leaving them behind.

Buster is the best dog I???ve ever had. He???s getting old now and I know he won???t be with us forever, but I sure am glad my kids bugged me to go see him that first day.

Support your local ASPCA/Humane Society???they save many animals lives and bring many people joy.

• i want to get my folks a pooch for xmas. they dont want no breeded lap dog thing so i was thinking the pound or some such. anyone ever do this? i need help. thanks!

please tell me they are aware of your idea and are planning accordingly.

• I definitely recommend the Humane Society route. I currently have a sweetheart of a dog, a 140 lb. Chocolate Lab that was rescued from the local Humane Society. The only thing I recommend is if you adopt anything other than a puppy find out the history of the dog and how/why it wound up at the Humane Society. Here is the story of our dog, Buster.

About 8 years ago, the week before Thanksgiving, my wife and kids stopped by the local Humane Society and came home BEGGING me to adopt this big goofy dog they had fell in love with. After some constant nagging I finally went to see this dog. I immediately saw why my wife and kids wanted him. He was friendly and huge but there had to be a reason why such a beautiful dog was up for adoption. I asked the young lady who worked there ???Why did the owner bring the dog here???? She got this strange look on her face and motioned for me to follow her into a back room!! Once we were away from my kids, in a whisper she told me???.???The owner had a farm in a town some 60 miles away and owned two chocolate Labs. One day she came home and the dogs had jumped over a fence and killed every pig, duck and chicken she owned. The next day she dropped them off at the Humane Society on her way to work??? Ah-Ha???I KNEW there was a reason this dog had been abandoned???it was the proverbial ???egg-sucking dog???, every farmer???s nightmare.

I came out of the back room and told my kids??????Sorry, we can???t get this dog, he???s a KILLER!!!??? The adoption girl quickly butted in??????Do you have any chicken, pigs or ducks???????..Well no???we didn???t???..???Then he won???t be a problem??????.she was giving the ???hard sell???. My two young kids were taking up right where she left off ???Yeah Dad, he won???t be a problem, look at him, he wouldn???t hurt a fly???.

I threatened my kids that if they were bad, I'd dress them up in Pig and Duck costumes and let Buster have his way with them.

After conferring with my wife I gave in and agreed to adopt ???Buster???. We brought him home and I decided I needed to ???test??? him right away to see just what I had gotten myself into. I went to the store, bought him a big juicy meat bone from the Butcher Shop, and gave it to him to munch on which he dove right into. After about 15 minutes I walked over to him and slowly snatched the bone out of his mouth. He just looked up and stared at me with this goofy puppy dog look. I knew we had a keeper.

About a month later I received a call from the Humane Society saying it was urgent that I come to see them ASAP. I thought the worst???..did the owner of Buster want him back??? Was the person who brought him in not the real owner and now the REAL owner wanted him back? All the way there I was worried that somehow, this goofy dog that had become part of my family, was going to be taken away. As I walked in the girl who helped us adopt Buster ran over and quickly swept me in to the back room. ???We have a problem??? she said??????.Oh shit, I was right???well dammit, you???re gonna have to fight me to get him back, was all I could think. ???Remember the OTHER Chocolate Lab that was brought in with Buster??? she asked?????????Um, yeah???????????????Well, last week she had 11 puppies and I KNOW you???re going to want to adopt a couple of them???. ?????? I was obviously relieved and taken by surprise. ???No, I don???t think we have enough room for three big dogs, but I appreciate you thinking about me???

I drove home just happy that I didn???t have to tell my kids that Buster had to leave. And I didn???t really regret passing on the puppies, at least for a few weeks. That???s when I ran into ???Adoption Girl??? at a local store and asked how it was going finding the puppies a good home. ???Well, some of them were adopted out, but 3 of them died!!??? ???Damn, how did they die??? I asked her. ???We have ???criminals??? that pay their debt to society by doing community service at the Humane Society and one of them ???accidently??? killed three puppies.??? Now I felt bad about leaving them behind.

Buster is the best dog I???ve ever had. He???s getting old now and I know he won???t be with us forever, but I sure am glad my kids bugged me to go see him that first day.

Support your local ASPCA/Humane Society???they save many animals lives and bring many people joy.

nice story there.

i love labadoir (sp) retrievers. the ones i've known have always been the gentlest, sweetest dogs. never had one though, i imagine it's a lot of food and turds the size of corn cobbs littering the back yard.

• Adopting from any institution is a good thing but I would also check out the "No Kill" Shelters in your area.

better yet focus on the institutions that DO kill the animals that don't get adopted.

• on a somewhat related note...

please click this link.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

you don't have to sign in. You don't have to do anything but click the purple button and then the sponsors of the site buy food for needing animals.

Animals can bring a lot of joy to people. We've got a puppy now and she takes up so much of our time, but we love her.

• i want to get my folks a pooch for xmas. they dont want no breeded lap dog thing so i was thinking the pound or some such. anyone ever do this? i need help. thanks!

please tell me they are aware of your idea and are planning accordingly.

of course! its been like 5 years since pokey, the family dog, died. and my folks didnt want to get a new dog cuz we all loved pokey and needed time to grieve n stuff. plus my dad read something like you have to wait 3 years so that the scent of your last pet is gone or whatevers and my dads a nerd like that. so i asked my mom over tgiving and she was like, i want puppy! so yeah, i think me and the sister r gon get them a new pet at the pound n stuffs.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Both the dogs I have had have been from the humaine society. The one thing I say is you should start looking for a dog. It took us a long time tp find a dog that we liked, especialy since we have cats and needed a dog that would get along. Adopting a dog is the best thing that you will do, but checking the history is a good idea.

Maggie is our dog, she is the most loving dog you'd know and is always by your side. However she was definately abused or had some sort of trauma as a pup, we got her around 8 months I think. She had anxiety attacks over many different things. She has gotten much better over the years but still once in a while will go in a corner and shake. Many dogs from the pound will have been abused and may have problems like Maggie. Now in no means this is a reason not to adopt just to say that they may need some extra love to bring them around.

post a pic when get her/him!

• God damn, all the love in here has got me a little misty.

Definately go the Humane Society route - nothings better than giving a living creature the chance for a better life.