The Terry Callier post

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Never really liked his stuff (Occasional Rain, sexy smoker cover, Big head on cover with beige green border), but I Just Can't Help Myself is hitting me this afternoon nicely. "Until Tomorrow" is a really good fuckin song. Feeling some seller's remorse! Discuss!

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    dope record. has some marvin gaye moves. i fucks

• It's weird that you'd fuck with that one but not "What Color..."

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i dig the soul folk

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I think what it is is that this one is more soulful and less folky than What Color Is Love. Dorothy Ashby funky brass soulful Cadet maneuvers.

• all 3 cadet lp's are great

but my favorite one is the live lp from 1982 on premonition

and don't forget the recent cd's

• I think what it is is that this one is more soulful and less folky than What Color Is Love. Dorothy Ashby funky brass soulful Cadet maneuvers.

There's really not a big difference

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I heard "What Color is Love" recently and liked it a lot less than I thought I would. Still great music, just didn't really quite do it for me personally.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    but my favorite one is the live lp from 1982 on premonition

and don't forget the recent cd's

can you post a picture of this one?

I got a live acoustic LP he did with a trio in DC and ts got some nice mellow moves

• yeah that's the one - great versions of "holding on", I'm a believer", "african violet" and the "mrs. beasley" (which is only on this lp/cd)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Terry Callier is great, I like all the Cadet stuff & the recent CDs as well. Superb artist.

• yeah that's the one - great versions of "holding on", I'm a believer", "african violet" and the "mrs. beasley" (which is only on this lp/cd)

has anybody got a lp (not a cd) with the different cover?

• They made a wise decision to change the cover from this monstrosity:

to this (far better):

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I met Terry years ago backstage at the Jazz Bop in the UK, and in a moment of conversation about music with him, we got on to Coltrane, and suddenly we were both singing the lyric based version of NAIMA that Jon Hendricks wrote. He is an extremely nice man, and in that moment he easily became one of the best singers I'd ever heard.

• Everyone I know hates on "What Color." I love the album! Candy Man, Dancing Girl What Color Is Love, subtle and beautiful like most of his material.

Another favorite is his rendition of "Love Theme From Spartacus"

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Everyone I know hates on "What Color." I love the album! Candy Man, Dancing Girl What Color Is Love, subtle and beautiful like most of his material.

I agree! I play that record every Friday night(happy hour) whether or not they like it or not

Another favorite is his rendition of "Love Theme From Spartacus"

and thank you so much for this! Of course my radiators start going nuts as soon as I push play...so glad to be moving...

this is sooooo beautiful

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Dancing Girl

Is one of my favourite songs of all time.

• Dancing Girl

Is one of my favourite songs of all time.