does tom petty get the soulstrut pass

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I liked his "collabo" with De La Soul though on Judgment Night (I'm assuming they just sampled him)

Wasn't "Fallin'" De La Soul and Teenage Fan Club? And yes, that song continues to lurk in a secluded glade in my private mind garden.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    pass or not, he's the DUDE. On some real shit.

but this was my shit when I was younger:

haha, yeah. When I was a kid, I had a serious thing for the skater chick in the neon shorts. She didnt pull any tricks, but I gave her a pass.

I like his music, but the songs always depressed the hell out of me though. To me, they all seemed to be about saying 'fuck it' and leaving town to become a drifter or something.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I liked his "collabo" with De La Soul though on Judgment Night (I'm assuming they just sampled him)

Wasn't "Fallin'" De La Soul and Teenage Fan Club? And yes, that song continues to lurk in a secluded glade in my private mind garden.

Ah crap, I think you're right. I guess I don't like TP.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    that alice in wonderland cake shit f**ked me up as a kid

haha! me too.
    that whole video was like whoa.
    I stopped eating cake that had any sort of anthropomorphic shape because of that video...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Tom petty is the dude cause he reps the valley and shoots all his videos in the valley and not alot of people rep it like that.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'll I can really do it cosine all of this. Always liked him, all the songs being listed are killer. Also had my mind blow as a child with the whole Alice cake scene. The Logan's Run "You Got Lucky" video was always a fave. Wrote the best Stive Nicks song she ever did.

On more note is that he took on the music industry in the 80's when they were raiseing prices like crazy and he just flat out said "you can't sell my cassettes for more than X dollars". (I know cassettes HA HA!) If I remember right they raised the price over $11 dollars and he said $9.99 was that max he would go.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    and Last Dance with Mary Jane is ok.

I just watched the video for that after very many years. Not as trippy as the Wonderland Cake scene, but still it can hold its own. Kind of a twisted-mini- mellow-dramatic 'Weekend at Bernies'. I guess they wanted Sharon Stone in lieu of Kim Basinger...it's too bad because Sharon Stone can do Cold and Dead better than anyone.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    TP is one of those artists where I have no problem hearing when I'm scanning channels on the radio, but would probably never consciously decide to buy one of his albums, or would want to listen to on purpose. Not hating, I have a lot of respect for him and the Heartbreakers as songwriters and players. But I don't ever see myself saying, "Damn, I really need to hear some Tom Petty right now!" He gets enough spins on classic rock stations for my personal taste.

• TP is one of those artists where I have no problem hearing when I'm scanning channels on the radio, but would probably never consciously decide to buy one of his albums, or would want to listen to on purpose. Not hating, I have a lot of respect for him and the Heartbreakers as songwriters and players. But I don't ever see myself saying, "Damn, I really need to hear some Tom Petty right now!" He gets enough spins on classic rock stations for my personal taste.

This is kinda the way I feel. I used to like his earlier, power-poppish songs, but the appeal wore thin the more he got (over)played on the radio. And to be truthful, I look at Cheap Trick the same way.

This is kinda the way I feel. I used to like his earlier, power-poppish songs, but the appeal wore thin the more he got (over)played on the radio. And to be truthful, I look at Cheap Trick the same way.

Oh No!!!!! I love Cheap Trick, but I'm not real crazy about the stuff on the radio. Dream Police and I Want You To Want Me are not that great compaired to the other stuff. They are relaly a band that is much better appriciated if you listen to the LP's and skip the hit songs. The All Shook Up LP is overlooked and is a total end to end burner. The vocals on that LP are bannanas!!! No rock singer has come close to that kind of range. And the straight up weirdness of that LP makes it worth the listen. Tom Petty's Best songs are hits on the radio, Cheap Tricks best songs are not on the radio.

• its funny, Johnny Thunders stole the name "The Heartbreakers" for his band after seeing Tom play in Florida...he didnt think they would amount to anything, so he felt that stealing the name would be OK.

• No rock singer has come close to that kind of range.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

it looks like it takes all his effort to keep those teeth in.
    BABABOOEY!!

• This is kinda the way I feel. I used to like his earlier, power-poppish songs, but the appeal wore thin the more he got (over)played on the radio. And to be truthful, I look at Cheap Trick the same way.

Oh No!!!!! I love Cheap Trick, but I'm not real crazy about the stuff on the radio. Dream Police and I Want You To Want Me are not that great compaired to the other stuff. They are relaly a band that is much better appriciated if you listen to the LP's and skip the hit songs. The All Shook Up LP is overlooked and is a total end to end burner. The vocals on that LP are bannanas!!! No rock singer has come close to that kind of range. And the straight up weirdness of that LP makes it worth the listen. Tom Petty's Best songs are hits on the radio, Cheap Tricks best songs are not on the radio.

You obviously didn't grow up in Chicago in the early eighties! Seriously, this band was pretty well represented on AOR radio back then, especially in their hometown. Even though I never got around to buying any of their records, I became familiar with both the hits and the deep cuts. WLUP ("The Loop - Where Chicago Rocks") played album tracks like "He's A Whore," "Southern Girls" and "Gonna Raise Hell" (their worst song ever) just as often as "I Want You To Want Me."

(I might want to add that I don't DISLIKE Cheap Trick, I've just kinda had my fill.)

No rock singer has come close to that kind of range.

Doh!