IM TRYIN TO SPLIT MY COLLECTION INTO GENRES

2»

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I'm generally an unorganized person, except when it comes to things I collect. Even then, I tend to leave things out and not put them back. After a move, all my records were haphazardly tossed onto the expedit for a while. I had to alphabetize some of them just so I could locate records.

Funk/Soul LPs is the bulk, and is alphabetized. Hip hop I also recently alphabetized, but it barely warrants it. I have unalphabetized groups for funk/soul/disco 12" singles (OGs, Alpha Omegas, whatever), straight jazz (which for me is pre-70s ish), and goodwill finds (misc. yacht rock heat b/w outlaw country). The straight jazz is needing to be alphabetized, but I'm not ready to do it. I'm waiting for a cold rainy day.

Basically, your level of organization depends on how (1) hard you're willing to look and (2) how many records you've got in a particular category. For me, I can stand to flip through 100 records to find something. After that, it becomes tedious.

• double rap 12" arranged in alphabetical order
    double rap lps arranged in alphabetical order
    rap 12" arranged in alphabetical order
    rap lps arranged in alphabetical order
    libs - sorted by companies
    mindblowing one tracker lps
    7" - unsorted

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i just click at the top of iTunes and it sorts it all for me.

really though, i have always sorted/filed/whatevered by genre, and used to get all pissy when id get stuck on an album, but now since the big cull/sell-off i have made a decision to keep it within genres, but have no system whatsoever within each section.

This frees up more time to do things like:

going outside
    talking to humans
    bathing
    interacting with my family
    posting on internet forums about filing my records

• going outside
    talking to humans
    bathing
    interacting with my family

FUCK ALL THAT!!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    SADE

Other Music

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    my genres:

top shelf - left side: favorite records of mine
    top shelf - rest: good records and 7inches
    top middle: okay records and libraries
    bottom middle: not so good records / one-trackers
    bottom: hip hop

basement: can't sell them records

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Where should i put my Axelrod records? ---> cheesy listening

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    BLACK & PINK (not pictured)

BLACK & WHITE

FACES

HATS (not pictured)

MATCHING OUTFITS

BIKINI

SCREENPRINTED
    FUTURE MIX FODDER
    JAMES BROWN

45s filed by condition.

• kemskems 120 Posts
    hip-hop
    rock
    reggae
    everything else
    45's are done the same way

Every genre alphabetical by first name

Keep It Simple Suckas

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Jazz, eurojazz-free, smooth jazz
    soul, male,female,group
    funk
    modernsoul
    hiphop
    rock
    psych
    folk
    quebec
    ost/library
    latin
    brazilian
    african
    reggae
    classical

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I Do:

Jazz
    Soul/ Funk
    Rap
    Reggae
    White
    Latin
    Beats/Play out/12s
    Junk

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I used to have genres (don't really know why I changed) but now all my LPs & 45s are alphabetical. CDs are still in genre & then in order of most titles I have by an artist, followed by alphabetical labels sub-ordered by the number of releases I have on the label, followed by alphabetical CDs I have only one of by the artist then various artist CDs withing that genre. Genres for CDs are something like Punk/Hardcore, Jazz, Blues, Soul/Funk, Rock, Reggae/Ska, Rock & Roll, Surf, Hip Hop, Soundtracks, Country & stuff that doesn't fit in any of the above (comedy etc.)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I used to have genres (don't really know why I changed) but now all my LPs & 45s are alphabetical. CDs are still in genre & then in order of most titles I have by an artist, followed by alphabetical labels sub-ordered by the number of releases I have on the label, followed by alphabetical CDs I have only one of by the artist then various artist CDs withing that genre. Genres for CDs are something like Punk/Hardcore, Jazz, Blues, Soul/Funk, Rock, Reggae/Ska, Rock & Roll, Surf, Hip Hop, Soundtracks, Country & stuff that doesn't fit in any of the above (comedy etc.)

I thought about alphabetizing everything. It's absolute, without having to interpret genres. It also makes the most sense, in many ways.

I think we divide into genres because we simply emulate the record store/book store/library model. Genres help shoppers with browsing. So if you have people over who are interested in your records (and many people without records still tend to be interested), then genres will help them. But since we should already be familiar with our own collections (and should theoretically like all of our selections), we don't really have to browse when we look.

Then again, if you're often in the mood for a certain type of music, but you don't know what, maybe genres are the key. I'm usually trying to locate something specific, but not always. I suppose genres may lead to heavier rotation.

Who the hell knows -- I've thought about this way too much!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Then again, if you're often in the mood for a certain type of music, but you don't know what, maybe genres are the key.

this is the point of my organization in genres

White

Rock/Rock-N-Roll(Punk/Metal/Grunge/Math/Emo/Glam/Psych....?
    Folk
    Classical

[Becky] U have a cool selection of White music over here[Becky]

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    White

Folk
    Classical

Well, where do you keep Steely Dan?

White

Folk
    Classical

Well, where do you keep Steely Dan?

Who's Steely Dan?

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Hip Hop LPs
    Hip Hop/RnB 12s
    1980-1990 Boogie/Disco/Funk LPs
    1960-1979 Disco/Funk/Soul LPs
    Boogie/Disco/Funk 12s
    Electro/Old School rap 12s
    Comps
    Jazz/Latin
    House/Dance LPs, Comps & 12s
    80s/90s Pop/Becky Favorites 12s
    All Rock/Pop Misc

Things I am finding hard to categorize are sample based beats/ contemporary re-edits/remixes etc. I guess I???ll have to wait until I get more of them and then give them a whole crate to themselves.

• I thought about alphabetizing everything. It's absolute, without having to interpret genres.

That's how I do it - works for me.