Classic Hip Hop/Rap Magazines Thread (List em')

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Ok, doesnt really have to be CLASSIC..but just mags you used to get down with back in the day. I used to be a magazine nut(well, I guess I still am), as they kept me informed about a lot of shit I would have never known about. I'd give anything to have all the shit I used to have, but thanks to ripping out pages to tack to my walls of my bedroom, all my mags were pretty much fucked. I know I am forgetting tons..but i'll go ahead and start the list..SourceRap Pages(the Graff issue,B-Boy issue and DJ issue especially)Ego TripStressBombYo!Word Up!Rap MastersBeat DownCan ControlIGTOn The GoSubcultureLife Sucks Die12 Oz ProphetElementalCrazy KingsInsomniacI'll let the Euro strutters handle their side of things..

Comments

• Mass Appeal

Murder Dog

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    elemental, big daddy arent really old school but were dope. Is elemental around anymore anyways?

• Straight From The Lip (Bay Area, right?)
    Represent (UK, one or two issues only in 95/96. Real record nerdery)
    Rap Sheet (Phill Most!!!)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i kind of liked an oversized rap magazine called art form or something like that. does anybody else remember that one?

• elemental, big daddy arent really old school but were dope. Is elemental around anymore anyways?

Yeah Elemental is still around..but they feature a lot of shitty rap in it.

• [quote
    Rap Sheet (Phill Most!!!)
    Damn, how'd I forget that one?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    elemental, big daddy arent really old school but were dope. Is elemental around anymore anyways?

i used to love that shit and they had some pretty decent articles about cats in DITC and other dope groups. Also giving J-Zone his own column was a good look.

but as for old school i really liked egotrip and rap pages. I have a few issues of egotrip still laying around, the one with rakim on the cover is coming to mind.

what magazine was it that the Wu got all heated about? Rap Pages? They were irate cause the illustrations of the group were all cartoony and they thought it made them look like pussies. They then beat the shit out of the author i think.

edit:

found it. Cheo Coker got a punch to the grill by masta killa.

hahaha

PICS OF THE ARTICLE

• elemental, big daddy arent really old school but were dope. Is elemental around anymore anyways?

i used to love that shit and they had some pretty decent articles about cats in DITC and other dope groups. Also giving J-Zone his own column was a good look.

I mean..I guess its still sort of like that, but they feature a lot of boring ass indy/backpackers/whatever you wanna call it stuff.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    vapours an aussie mag which started in the mid 80's
    hype **more graff related** but i tink it was the 1st graff zine out there

• Straight From The Lip (Bay Area, right?)

San Diego!

• Rap Pages(the Graff issue,B-Boy issue and DJ issue especially)

I've posted the pic back in the day, but one whole wall of my record room is covered in RapPages mags. I believe the people responsible for the best covers were called The Cartel. I'm pretty sure they're the same dudes who did Jeru's animated video.

My faves:

- The aforementioned Graf, B-Boy and DJ issues)
    - Cube in front of the American flag
    - L.A. Underground issue (E-Rule, Medusa, Acey, Ras Kass)
    - Pharcyde wrapped in reel-to-reel tape
    - ODB recreating the black and white "Janet Jackson having her titties covered" pic
    - Eazy E shrine
    - Kool G Rap blindfolded while lighting a cigarette (firing squad-related)
    - The Liks all B-Boyed out in front of a Keith Haring painting (I made a shirt out of this for Daze last year)
    - Goodie MoB in the swamp
    - Eightball & MJG "Playa Hatas" issue
    - Kwest The Mad Lad cursing up a storm
    - De La rockin' Superman shirts under their business suits
    - Sanyika Shakur "Monster?" issue
    - Biz Markie's grill with the handlebar 'stache spelled out in words
    - White/black/gold Jay-Z cover (with a Mystik Journeymen article!)
    - The Roots standing around a dead man
    - The infamous Biggie crown cover
    - Dungeon Family lynching cover
    - Quik getting a perm
    - Organized Konfusion with the flak jackets and fire extinguisher

• vapours an aussie mag which started in the mid 80's
    hype **more graff related** but i tink it was the 1st graff zine out there

Yeah, I remember Hype..but was it out before IGT? In all honesty, I never got into the non US graff mags. There was a lot of Euro graff mags..but all of their letters were wack(to me at least). I am sure a lot of that has changed now though. Hell, now and days you have US people mimicking Euro styles.

• Rap Pages(the Graff issue,B-Boy issue and DJ issue especially)

I've posted the pic back in the day, but one whole wall of my record room is covered in RapPages mags. I believe the people responsible for the best covers were called The Cartel. I'm pretty sure they're the same dudes who did Jeru's animated video.

My faves:

- ODB recreating the black and white "Janet Jackson having her titties covered" pic
    - Eazy E shrine
    - The Liks all B-Boyed out in front of a Keith Haring painting (I made a shirt out of this for Daze last year)
    - Quik getting a perm

Hell yeah..memory lane right there!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Anybody (Harvey) remember Point Blank?
    It's where I got all of my Project Blowed-related tapes & vinyl circa 94/95 (also KMD I>Black Bastards/I> tape!).
    I recall Tony Da Skitzo on a cover I think.

...and Rap Pages was of course, this shit. Amazing photography in that one as well.

• I believe Brian Cross/B+ had a lot to do with the photos in rap pages. excellent stuff.

• I believe Brian Cross/B+ had a lot to do with the photos in rap pages. excellent stuff.

Damn, mag looks like garbage now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Right On!

• Right On!

Oops. That should have went somewhere between Yo!,Rap Masters,and Word Up!.

• Ok, doesnt really have to be CLASSIC..but just mags you used to get down with back in the day. I used to be a magazine nut(well, I guess I still am), as they kept me informed about a lot of shit I would have never known about. I'd give anything to have all the shit I used to have, but thanks to ripping out pages to tack to my walls of my bedroom, all my mags were pretty much fucked. I know I am forgetting tons..but i'll go ahead and start the list..

Source
    Rap Pages(the Graff issue,B-Boy issue and DJ issue especially)
    Ego Trip
    Stress
    Bomb
    Yo!
    Word Up!
    Rap Masters
    Beat Down
    Can Control
    IGT
    On The Go
    Subculture
    Life Sucks Die
    12 Oz Prophet
    Elemental
    Crazy Kings
    Insomniac

I'll let the Euro strutters handle their side of things..

One Love!?!?
    S.F.M.(a graff black and white publication)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Right On!

Oops. That should have went somewhere between Yo!,Rap Masters,and Word Up!.

Word Up became Right On!'s All Hip Hop spinoff. But before that they used have a gang of photos from the local scenes, along w/ New Edition & Cameo......

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Rap Pages(the Graff issue,B-Boy issue and DJ issue especially)

My faves:

- Eazy E shrine
    - Quik getting a perm

I used to love this Frickin' mag man. I liked the issue with Eazy E smoking a "blunt" rolled in a $100 bill. So many reviews, killer photos, ads for music that was hard to nab elsewhere, political articles,and my favorite, a review in there of Fat Joe's Jealous One's Envy inspired him to write a song about them called Firewater. The line that really did it for me in that review was saying the album focused on Joe's meteoric rise from 14 year old dealer/gangster to 21 year old gangster/dealer. Also, something to the effect of listing how many words rhyme with fuck so Joe could reference the article for future rhyme writing. Hilarious!

• anyone remember "Rappin" Magazine?