New Bill Withers video interview - RAER?

DigginDiggin 319 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
30 min feature on Swedish TV (same show that the Libray music program a few years back), interview starts at 01:40 (most of it in english). From what I've understand he doesn't really talk to journalists anymore and haven't performed in 20 years so this is rare opportunity to hear what he has to say. Bill Withers video (asx format)

Comments

• From what I've understand he doesn't really talk to journalists anymore

??? In the past couple of years, we've had the DVD that came with the CD reissue of Just As I Am, in addition to a massive interview in Wax Poetics, and I'm sure he's done some other things as well...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'd definitely love to see the man in concert in my lifetime.

But most artists only put on concerts as they accompany new albums.

• I'd definitely love to see the man in concert in my lifetime.

Just like the Sonics and the Monks, Bill Withers has built up such a semi-mystique by now that he wouldn't NEED a new album. Just as long as he's "still Bill" there will be an audience.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'd definitely love to see the man in concert in my lifetime.

Just like the Sonics and the Monks, Bill Withers has built up such a semi-mystique by now that he wouldn't NEED a new album. Just as long as he's "still Bill" there will be an audience.

I agree 100%. I simply wish that Western popular music concerts weren't so tied up with album sales.

• I agree 100%. I simply wish that Western popular music concerts weren't so tied up with album sales.

Part of me wants and has wanted for years for him to put out a new album just because it's Bill Withers. It kinda stinks how he just sort of disappeared in the 80's and wasn't really around for a long time. But then part of me fears what a new album would sound like and doesn't want something that would tarnish his reputation. There's really nothing sadder than legendary artists putting out new albums that just aren't very good.

But yeah, I wish Bill Withers could just tour based on his back catalogue. On the other hand, I can't blame a guy who's 69 for not wanting to go out on the road. They can't all be BB King.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You know, I can respect that he did what he did and wants to live a different life. That was then and this is now. People change.

It's better to go out like he did than force what you're not feeling. I don't know the the circumstances behind him not making music anymore, but sometimes the simple life outweighs all the other shit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You know, I can respect that he did what he did and wants to live a different life. That was then and this is now. People change.

It's better to go out like he did than force what you're not feeling. I don't know the the circumstances behind him not making music anymore, but sometimes the simple life outweighs all the other shit.

True, and a good point. I suppose that it's really only for selfish reasons that I'd like to see the man in concert. But still...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This is the type of stuff that keeps me coming back to soulstrut.

I didn't even have old Bill on my mind, and here's this video with him dropping knowledge just like he used to.

I hope he does take up writing. He has probably some of the most sincere lyrics of all time.

- spidey

• Bill withers just had some spotlight on West virginia Public Tv. Didn't know he was from here. The special was hosted by Anne Magnuson (sp?) from bongwater. Bill played it super cool. Cant wait to catch the whole thing again really. Pretty cool.

• This is the type of stuff that keeps me coming back to soulstrut.

I didn't even have old Bill on my mind, and here's this video with him dropping knowledge just like he used to.

I hope he does take up writing. He has probably some of the most sincere lyrics of all time.

Not only that, but having read several interviews with the man (from then and now), he is one of the most articulate gentlemen that ever had a mike stuck in their face. If he ever issues an autobiography, I'd be SO down to read it.

• This is the type of stuff that keeps me coming back to soulstrut.

Not only that, but having read several interviews with the man (from then and now), he is one of the most articulate gentlemen that ever had a mike stuck in their face. If he ever issues an autobiography, I'd be SO down to read it.

Hell yeah, this was a great clip even though I could not understand the narration it was worth watching just to hear the man speak.

• link doesn't seem to work. do i need a special player or something?