FUCK FUCK FUCK

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I just noticed my mountain bike was stolen.. So pissed.. I live in a pretty residential area in LA they would have had to go all the way up beachwood right near the market.. nothing but homes...fuck. They would have had to go all the way to the back of the driveway around right near my window..and spend time to break the lock. My girl's shity beach cruiser was left. Damn that makes me feel so weird.. some motherfucker just lurking around the place.. I hope they Frickin' get hit by a car on that thing.

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I just noticed my mountain bike was stolen.. So pissed.. I live in a pretty residential area in LA they would have had to go all the way up beachwood right near the market.. nothing but homes...fuck. They would have had to go all the way to the back of the driveway around right near my window..and spend time to break the lock. My girl's shity beach cruiser was left. Damn that makes me feel so weird.. some motherfucker just lurking around the place.. I hope they Frickin' get hit by a car on that thing.

it's happened to the best of us, if that makes you feel any better.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dude jumped on my bike while it was outside the bodega. I chased his ass around and caught him.

• the first bike i bought in san francisco was stolen about 2 weeks after i bought it. i chained it to a small tree in the lower haight like a moron and they cut the tree and jacked my bike.

• way to kill a tree.

every bike eventually gets stolen. its just how the world works.

• my old roommate bought this neon green bike for cheap when he was in japan and i guess it's pretty irreplaceable. when i lived in the lower haight, they broke into his van and took it. the next day i got off the bart train and see someone with his bike getting on the train. i hopped back on the train and confronted dude "this is my friend's bike, it was stolen yesterday." it was crowded and he seemed embarassed, i felt really bad because it was clear that dude just bought it off some kids on street. he offered to give it back but wanted the money back that he spent. i asked how much, and he said $20. i wanted to give him more but that's all the money i had on me at the moment. looking back, i probably should have gotten some more money out of the atm cause i was pretty surprised at his honesty. but yeah, i got my roommate's bike back from him. and all he had to say was "damn, there goes $20". i told him to STFU

• Wow, awesome you got the bike back. That doesnt happen often.

Where is it that has all the bikes that you can borrow and return at any time? Amsterdam or somewhere? I remember seeing it on a tv show years ago.

• Wow, awesome you got the bike back. That doesnt happen often.

Where is it that has all the bikes that you can borrow and return at any time? Amsterdam or somewhere? I remember seeing it on a tv show years ago.

SF is a pretty small metropolitan and tons of people rely on BART everyday. I don't think that could happen in Chicago or NY.

Yeah you could rent bikes in Amsterdam for cheap, but when i was there back in college, the hostellers told me to just buy one off the street for 8 euros and expect it to get stolen by the end of my visit. these things work in cycles i guess.

• these things work in cycles i guess.

• I had a nice Haro Sport when I was young, the kind with the basher frame (split topbar). My friend and I went into a Media Play to buy some giant gumballs, putting his crappy Huffy Ice on top of mine to hide it. When we got back to the bikes only the Huffy Ice remained.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    My friend had a dope bmx that he used to just chain up all over the city. It was funny because you'd knew he was in the area by seeing his bike chained up. He had that thing for two years before some guys figured you could unbolt the street sign and lift it over the top.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

There are approximately 500,000 bikes in Amsterdam.
    1,000,000 bikes get stolen in Amsterdam a year.

Got my bike stolen when I was eight. Went to the local housing project to look for it. Found it painted red with 10 dudes around it looking at me. Never got it back.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    I had my bike stolen once now I rock this

&

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude jumped on my bike while it was outside the bodega. I chased his ass around and caught him.

And.....???

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Nice avatar Edith.

I've had way too many bikes stolen, but when I was in Florida I found way too many bikes in people's trash.

I was definitely surprised when I moved to New York and found out that my bike lock would cost more than my bike. But not as surprised as when I found out that you can't get a bike for 5 dollars at the local thrift. Instead, you shouldn't expect to pay less than $100 for a bike.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I had decent bike in college. I didn't know it was any good though, my dad bought it at a pawn shop and gave it to me and it was made by Specialized. I don't think they had been out that long as I hadn't even heard of them before but, like I said, it was probably pretty expensive.

First someone stole the seat off of it, so I rode it around for a few months like that. I was only on it 10 mins at a time so not sitting down wasn't a big deal. I could kind of rest my ass on the pole if needed which is retrospect was a bad bad accident waiting to happen.

Then eventually someone stole the whole bike.

I then rode an old 70's schwin which was actually much better and less likely to get stolen since it was the oldest ugliest bike on campus.

My GF, now wife's antique thrift store cruiser got stolen when we lived in an apartment. It was right below our door under the stairwell.

Thinking back, I also had a car stolen in college. It was such as piece of shit I often left the keys in it if I was just at a friend's house. These three chicks took it for a cruise. I knew the cops would probably find it because if you didn't know all the tricks you would have a hard time keeping it running, keeping the lights on, getting the radio to play, etc. Sure enough the got stopped that same day and called me to come see if it was mine and I came out and got it.

On the plus side, they did completely clean it out for me and put some gas in it.
    On the minus side, they had tried to used bubble gum to stick the lights on. All it needed was a toothpick or paper to wedge in the switch to keep it on.

About 3 months later the cops gave me back about 1/5 of what was in the car and trunk. They gave me back a basketball and a softball with these inventory tags on them. Like they had to process them or do some paperwork?! WTF.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    man maybe i should never move

i dont even chain my bikes up at HOME, theyre just sitting outside

i know multiple people who do this

only one of them has had their bike stolen, later they found it chained up, broke the lock and stole it right back.

• man maybe i should never move

i dont even chain my bikes up at HOME, theyre just sitting outside

i know multiple people who do this

only one of them has had their bike stolen, later they found it chained up, broke the lock and stole it right back.

Do you have people that walk by your house? I couldnt imagine leaving a bike outside and it not get stolen. But a lot probably has to do with the neighborhood you are in as well. Anywhere there is dope around(which is pretty much everywhere), shit is gonna get stolen.

When I first moved into my neighborhood(probably the second week we were there), I heard something outside, and saw a dude in the process of breaking into my girl's car. I reacted super quick and grabbed the first weapons I could find(a steak knife and something else but I forget what)and bolted out the door. I chased dude for over half a mile through back alleys. By the time I found him the cops had already seen dude running with a bunch of shit in his hands and stopped him. Turned out my girl back at the crib had called 911 and since there is usually cops around the neighborhood,they snatched him up quick. I didnt know it at the time..but it turns out he had just finished hitting a neighbors car right before ours and my neighbor was also chasing dude with his pistol in hand. This neighbor was a huge dude..over 6 foot tall and easily over 250 lbs. Dude got pretty damn lucky we didnt find him first.

• Options
    Nice avatar Edith.

I've had way too many bikes stolen, but when I was in Florida I found way too many bikes in people's trash.

I was definitely surprised when I moved to New York and found out that my bike lock would cost more than my bike. But not as surprised as when I found out that you can't get a bike for 5 dollars at the local thrift. Instead, you shouldn't expect to pay less than $100 for a bike.

On LI in the summer you can get bikes for cheap at garage sales. 20-40 usually. Rarely over 50, unless they're some serious mountain bike.

On the topic, I had one bike taken out of my backyard when I was a kid. We always see the black kids riding in from Roosevelt (no racist, it is what it is) with one kid riding on handlebars or pegs, and later on you'll see them both riding out on bikes. It used to be a lot worse, not as prevalent anymore. Eddie Murphy even once said on Donahue that him and his brothers used to ride over the bridge into Merrick to steal bikes from the white boys. Local tradition I guess.

I've got a bike-related question. My brother had a Cannondale mountain bike that he used a lot, it's been sitting there in a garage for 6 years now. How would I go about getting it freshened up? I think it needs new tires, do I just go to a bike store and have it done or should I do it on my own? My bike knowledge is limited, but I'm nice with tools.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I had a nice Haro Sport when I was young, the kind with the basher frame (split topbar). My friend and I went into a Media Play to buy some giant gumballs, putting his crappy Huffy Ice on top of mine to hide it. When we got back to the bikes only the Huffy Ice remained.
    We were on a feild trip at Exploratorium in like '88. My friend left his boombox in the car. When we came out the car was broken into. The boombox was gone but the Bon Jovi tape that was in it was left behind on the seat.

• I've got a bike-related question. My brother had a Cannondale mountain bike that he used a lot, it's been sitting there in a garage for 6 years now. How would I go about getting it freshened up? I think it needs new tires, do I just go to a bike store and have it done or should I do it on my own? My bike knowledge is limited, but I'm nice with tools.

At most it'd need a service at your local bike shop to tighten the brakes and tune the gears etc .. that stuffs a little fiddely. The tyres will need probably need inflating but should be fine, although you could change up to slicks if you're going to be riding it on the road a lot

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I had my bike stolen once even though [/b] I rock this

Came out from 8 hours waiting tables, no way to get home. Now I never leave my bike locked up in NYC streets for longer than a couple minutes....

As tough as those locks are, my boys super was able to cut one easily back in the day. They only provide the illusion of safety.

• I had my bike stolen once even though [/b] I rock this

Came out from 8 hours waiting tables, no way to get home. Now I never leave my bike locked up in NYC streets for longer than a couple minutes....

As tough as those locks are, my boys super was able to cut one easily back in the day. They only provide the illusion of safety.

What is the safest lock?... I had

and my shit was gone.. they left the lock though.. looks like they straight picked it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I've got a bike-related question. My brother had a Cannondale mountain bike that he used a lot, it's been sitting there in a garage for 6 years now. How would I go about getting it freshened up? I think it needs new tires, do I just go to a bike store and have it done or should I do it on my own? My bike knowledge is limited, but I'm nice with tools.

The only thing about working on bicycles is that you need
    bicycle tools. Every part has a tool. Pedal wrenches, crank
    wrenches, spoke wrenches, chain tools, etc, etc ... I used to
    get away with a lot with just a pair of vice grips but
    for a tune-up of a dormant bike, just take it to a bike shop.
    It's the service they are called on to provide most often.

• they left the lock though.. looks like they straight picked it.

Y'all have seen the bic pen & kryptonite lock jiggling video right? I don't think you can do this anymore, but a few years ago you could. You can pick tubular locks like the kryptonite the old-fashioned way, but it's kind of a pain.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    my old roommate bought this neon green bike for cheap when he was in japan and i guess it's pretty irreplaceable. when i lived in the lower haight, they broke into his van and took it. the next day i got off the bart train and see someone with his bike getting on the train. i hopped back on the train and confronted dude "this is my friend's bike, it was stolen yesterday." it was crowded and he seemed embarassed, i felt really bad because it was clear that dude just bought it off some kids on street. he offered to give it back but wanted the money back that he spent. i asked how much, and he said $20. i wanted to give him more but that's all the money i had on me at the moment. looking back, i probably should have gotten some more money out of the atm cause i was pretty surprised at his honesty. but yeah, i got my roommate's bike back from him. and all he had to say was "damn, there goes $20". i told him to STFU
    #

Happened to me other way around - I bought a bike at a market only to get stopped in the street two days later by the guy who'd had it stolen. He got his bike back and I got some of my money. Bike karma is real.

• they left the lock though.. looks like they straight picked it.

Y'all have seen the bic pen & kryptonite lock jiggling video right? I don't think you can do this anymore, but a few years ago you could. You can pick tubular locks like the kryptonite the old-fashioned way, but it's kind of a pain.

"way to gooo kryptonite" haha...kinda funny
    when we found this out, we opened up a vending machine with the same kinda lock and put stickers behind every piece of food saying "junk food can lead to obesity and cause impotence". they chanegd the locks up a week later.

• weed selling in college afforded me a real nice cannondale m700. my first nice bike, which i rocked to death. one night we had a party in the house and things got a little crazy. i went to take a nap on the bed. when i woke up, the house was empty, my housemeates were gone, all the doors were open and i couldnt find my bike. someone told me to preport it to the cops the next day, which i did...turns out, the cops had even been to my house while i was dozing. oh well.
    three months later i get a call from the cops about my bike. turns out that the person who bought the bike rode to a bar and went home with a girl. left the bike on her back porch and it got stole while he lined up in the puccini. a day or two later, he saw someone riding it and lean it up against a pole before going into a video store. he parked his car, got his bike and rode off. dude came out the store with a friend, chased him down and they proceeded to rumble in the street. cops came, serial number got checked, my number came up.
    when i moved back to philly, i moved down to a south street apartment. high petty crime area. coming back from a party one night on the cannondale at 4am, i decide not to lug it up to m third floor apartment since i was going to ride to the fleamarkets at 6am. woke up at 6am to the street sign laying on the ground like someone crashed into it. took me a couple of half asleep minutes to remember that it was where i had locked my bike.

• i had two bikes stole in the last month. bikes come and go.

once i came home from work for lunch, propped a bike up outside and went inside for 10 minutes. came out, my bike was gone and there was a shitcrap huffy left in its place.