DIGGING ETHICS (RR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
So, following on from a few 5-pagers and related threads, maybe we should discuss what our digging ethics are?I personalyl think that people have their own ethical standards, and beyond flatly criminal behaviour, you do what you do. We all draw a line in the sand, and I say that because at the end of the day, the whole culture of digging is essentially about finding shit cheap and discovering something dope. It's not about going to a high priced record bourtique and shelling out a fortune.But these days we all source records in different ways. I mean, I'm not emailing gemm sellers and saying, 'excuse me but I should really pay you more than $10 for this 'funky buttercup' 45.' I'm looking for deals on-line and in the real world, but i don't steal from people. I've gotten good deals at shops and I don't offer to pay more than $10 for a record that might be worth $100 - just hand over my money and feel good about the score. What's your digging ethics?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    SYMPATHY POST

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Anything more than 25 percent is straight thievery

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    So, following on from a few 5-pagers and related threads, maybe we should discuss what our digging ethics are?

I personalyl think that people have their own ethical standards, and beyond flatly criminal behaviour, you do what you do. We all draw a line in the sand, and I say that because at the end of the day, the whole culture of digging is essentially about finding shit cheap and discovering something dope. It's not about going to a high priced record bourtique and shelling out a fortune.

But these days we all source records in different ways. I mean, I'm not emailing gemm sellers and saying, 'excuse me but I should really pay you more than $10 for this 'funky buttercup' 45.' I'm looking for deals on-line and in the real world, but i don't steal from people. I've gotten good deals at shops and I don't offer to pay more than $10 for a record that might be worth $100 - just hand over my money and feel good about the score.

What's your digging ethics?
    I've been on the injured list for a while, so I can't speak too firm on the matter. But I definitely condone vesselling--throwing 45s into lp sleeves--at thrifts.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    After this topic I demand we discuss sampling ethics at very great length.

• I STOPPED STEALING AT 11. BUT SLIPPING 45S IN LPS IS KOOL. I DONT DO IT BUT I GOT NO BEEF WITH THAT

• trying to get over on thrifts is some crackhead type shit...have some f ucking dignity.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Yard Sales: I do not pay over 2 dollars for a record.

Me: How much do you want for these?
    Them: 5 dollars each.
    Me: Thats too much.
    Them: Well, how much were you expecting to pay for them?
    Me: 1 or 2 dollars, or 5 dollars for all because its a yard sale

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I STOPPED STEALING AT 11. BUT SLIPPING 45S IN LPS IS KOOL. I DONT DO IT BUT I GOT NO BEEF WITH THAT

It's not stealing. It's free record downloading.

Seriously, though: I never steal records of any kind. I'm a grown man and - due to knowing how to use my money - I pay for my vinyl.

I do not, however, have any sympathy for a dealer that doesn't know the value of their own merchandise. As a seller, that's your job. If you're a buyer that rips off an artist or a grandmother on her basement collection (esp. with intent to re-sell), that's always shady. But a dealer? Fuck them for playing the game wrong. From my perspective, that's what "coming up" means; one seller doesn't know what he has, and - BAM - you've got a sealed copy of T.L. Barrett's Like A Ship (Without A Sail) or Little Woo Woo's take on the Harlem Shuffle for $5 each.

In a larger sense - it's just a speculative market anyway for those big-ticket items. Someone finds a box of sealed copies, or a cheap reissue drops, and the value fluctuates. That's a good reason to be prudent with vinyl purchases.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Is there any difference between "crate digging" and "record collecting" ?

• SLIPPING 45S IN LPS IS KOOL.

x100

that is just straight up criminal.

• SLIPPING 45S IN LPS IS KOOL.

x100

that is just straight up criminal.

SO, you all sound like damn Martha Stewart,
    Not a good look, thats criminal....man please.

Slip those 45's in those record covers,switch those prices, lie to the old lady with the raers....big balls yes...I don't care

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Any action can be normalized.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Is there any difference between "crate digging" and "record collecting" ?

Of course there is.

Put simply, not every 'record collector' is a 'crate digger.' The reverse may also be true, but it's a little more of a grey area I think (arguments such as 'digging' solely for sample material makes the base drive finding samples rather than ammassing a collection of records, which is merely incidental, etc).

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Seriously, though: I never steal records of any kind. I'm a grown man and - due to knowing how to use my money - I pay for my vinyl.

I do not, however, have any sympathy for a dealer that doesn't know the value of their own merchandise. As a seller, that's your job. If you're a buyer that rips off an artist or a grandmother on her basement collection (esp. with intent to re-sell), that's always shady. But a dealer? Fuck them for playing the game wrong. From my perspective, that's what "coming up" means; one seller doesn't know what he has, and - BAM - you've got a sealed copy of T.L. Barrett's Like A Ship (Without A Sail) or Little Woo Woo's take on the Harlem Shuffle for $5 each.

yeah, there was a guy who had a shop in Baltimore who well into the 90s had no idea that hip-hop had changed the price structure for vinyl and as a result you could find very good deals. Back then he was a pleasant guy.

Then, once he finally started to get an inkling of why certain records were moving so quickly, interacting with him turned annoying as hell. He became aware of the phenomenon of breaks but instead of trying to learn about what was worth what, he just started being suspicious and belligerent when you brought your records to the counter. "Why do you want to buy that one?" "That one shouldn't be $10, that's a mistake, it's supposed to be $25" and like that.

It was particularly annoying for me as I always buy music for listening first and foremost -- if I bring a record to your counter its because I want to hear the music on it and I liked the price tag you put on it.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    trying to get over on thrifts is some crackhead type shit...have some f ucking dignity.
    I traded my dignity for a grease pencil . I once put a pepper inside of a less expensive pepper at the grocery store; you have no clue how far I will take this son.

Do you download music?

Do you borrow your neighbor's internet connection?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Not outbidding "mates" by registering for another account on eBay to win a record they told you they were bidding on...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought we cleared this up?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The biggest place to dig now is Ebay, where you bid and fight for a record you want. I think all of us have gone beyond the regular consumer level of record purchases. We all want records beyond our means of coppability.

This has given us a slight Dog-eat-dog everyman for himself mentality.

Personally, I don't steal. I don't cheat. I don't bitch and complain or hide the names of the records I play. That's some childish bullshit, but for some people it's necessary. Some cats steal cause stores have ridiculous prices. Some cats steal cause they can. In this game everybodys trying to get over on somebody.

In a perfect world, Dealers would have everything we wanted stocked at reasonable prices. Right now, you take what you can get.

Is there Chivalry in record collecting. Hell no. However your level of scumbag is controllable.

- spidey

ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I thought we cleared this up?

hahah we have, i was just clownin... sup m&&k! hit me up on msn!

bev

• Is there any difference between "crate digging" and "record collecting" ?

Definitely. Crate Diggers spend time, record collectors spend money. But, one can be both.

• Is there Chivalry in record collecting. Hell no. However your level of scumbag is controllable.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    ok i have a quite a few

dont sook when i pull out a record you thought about and you put back
    wait till i finished looking in the crate then you can too
    dont look at my records unless i invite you
    if something has a break on it and you know it does dont let the whole record shop know
    be friendly to other diggers at fares and we might be able to share some knowledge
    be fair in the trade game.
    dont be greedy do u really need 3 copies of one record..
    be friendly to the 2nd hand record store owners "use the jedi mind trick"
    and maybe they'll forgive you...

seriously thou you guys dont know evil until you have this guy called richard from record exchange here in brisbane..

the guys a chump

sheep knows the deal!

seriously thou you guys dont know evil until you have this guy called richard from record exchange here in brisbane..

the guys a chump

sheep knows the deal!

word. fuck brisbane. full stop. hahahh

WEAK FOR WAX, but you do iight hommie...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Some guy I knew (pretty big and well known in the Soul and Funk 45 collecting scene) took me to this crazy record store in Philly once. He said that the owner really didn't like white folks and had on many occasions throughout the past 8 years refused to let my guy into his storrage room. I went inside, had a little talk with the owner and told him what I'm looking for. He said he had plenty of 45s in his storage room upstairs and said that he'd want $5 each. I said "if I find some real good stuff, I'll give you $10 each". First box I opened was a few hundred copies of the Gunga Din 45 and this was when this still went for a couple of hundred bucks... alongside, I found the Smoking Shades of Black 45 and loads of more stuff. After this encounter, the guy who had shown me the place was also allowed inside and pretty much cleaned the place out while I was back in Berlin... he kept on whining how I had destroyed prices for him. He was an asshole.

Down here in Africa, digging ethics reach a whole new dimension.
    You could literally buy records for pennies.
    I usually make different stacks depending on condition and estimated value.
    I pay $2 on stuff that I just buy out of curiousity. $10 for stuff that I know is good and $20 and more for stuff that know is worth loot. It has also be considered, that in most cases, there is a middle man: someone who took you to the owner of the records so in the end these prices double once you pay off the agent. So far I went as high as $200 for one LP. This practice not only gives you a lot of happy faces all around but also ensures that everybody and their dog will be scouting the city for records until you return a few weeks later. Most importantly, no-one is going to sell their shit to other white faces who are digging on a backpacker's budget.

• stay the fuck out of my crate until i'm done looking though it.

if you're over my shoulder saying: "hey was that the such and such label?", back off captain until i'm done with the crate.

don't go to every dealer and pull out 100 records each and tell the guy to "hold " it for you until you can listen to it while you scour the flea market before guys who buy the same stuff as you get there. in the end, you don't buy half of it anyway.

i try not to pay over $20 for a 45 but as of late i paid $26 on ebay (where i bought exactly 1 record on until oct. of this year). i think i may have to raise my limit because e bay is a bit addicting.

i barter, but don't rip people off. flea market records deserve flea market prices, and i can still find great records without losing my shirt. the best line i ever heard was from a notorious east coast dealer: "let me listen to it on your portable, and then i can formulate a price".

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Attn: dealers/record shop owners:

When i pull in a good stack of records and you shave a few bucks off. I appreciate it and I will return to your store/market stand and will spend money again and again.

Thanks!

Attn: dealers/record shop owners:

Don't jack the price up when you see me pull a good stack of records and then shave a few bucks off looking like you're doing me a favor....

Thanks!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Some guy I knew (pretty big and well known in the Soul and Funk 45 collecting scene) took me to this crazy record store in Philly once. He said that the owner really didn't like white folks and had on many occasions throughout the past 8 years refused to let my guy into his storrage room. I went inside, had a little talk with the owner and told him what I'm looking for. He said he had plenty of 45s in his storage room upstairs and said that he'd want $5 each. I said "if I find some real good stuff, I'll give you $10 each". First box I opened was a few hundred copies of the Gunga Din 45 and this was when this still went for a couple of hundred bucks... alongside, I found the Smoking Shades of Black 45 and loads of more stuff. After this encounter, the guy who had shown me the place was also allowed inside and pretty much cleaned the place out while I was back in Berlin... he kept on whining how I had destroyed prices for him. He was an asshole.

Down here in Africa, digging ethics reach a whole new dimension.
    I pay $2 on stuff that I just buy out of curiousity. $10 for stuff that I know is good and $20 and more for stuff that know is worth loot. It has also be considered, that in most cases, there is a middle man: someone who took you to the owner of the records so in the end these prices double once you pay off the agent. So far I went as high as $200 for one LP. This practice not only gives you a lot of happy faces all around but also ensures that everybody and their dog will be scouting the city for records until you return a few weeks later. Most importantly, no-one is going to sell their shit to other white faces who are digging on a backpacker's budget.

Mad respectable, bringing fair trade ethics to small time private industry. You're foiling capitalism Frank, many rich people are offended by your actions.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    barter, but don't rip people off.

Ok, second time in a week I've seen this.

Barter - to trade by exchange of commodities rather than by the use of money.
    Bargain - to discuss the terms of a bargain; haggle; negotiate.

As far as digging ethics goes, my basic philosophy is- if you feel like you might be doing something shady, you probably are. Everyone has their own opinions about what this might be.

There are probably times when I should have paid people more money for their records than I did. It's hard though when people offer you stuff for $1-2 to say, "no, I want to pay you $5-10 or more," especially when you are buying a lot of records.

• Down here in Africa, digging ethics reach a whole new dimension.

They deserve the money, and in the long run you'll feel better about scoring the records than you would have if you made a fortune flippin' em. Seems like you're having success because of your etiquette and ethics.