Battles - Mirrored

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I dont know if this has been discussed yet - but this record is kind of amazing. They're referred to as a"Math Rock supergroup" - i'm not sure what math rock sounds like- but i like this!Kinda funky - in a stiff krautrock way with a little prog (yes, king crimson) and electronics thrown in. Anyone hear this?

Comments

• you should check out their ep's: b, c, and tras

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Ugh! I've had a cold and this CD gave me a headache. Yes, they are good but it's way to much of a noodle fest.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Without exaggeration, I have listened to this record almost every day for the last 3-4 months. These days Tij is the one I skip to first. Hot damn that record is awesome.

i HAVE AND i WASN'T AS IMPRESSED...I LIKE THE ADDITION OF THE WEIRD ASS CHIPMUNK/ROBOT VOCALS.

i HAVE AND i WASN'T AS IMPRESSED...I LIKE THE ADDITION OF THE WEIRD ASS CHIPMUNK/ROBOT VOCALS.

to each their own. i was expecting a lot coming from having liked the ep's // vocals = least fav.

seems don caballero are king amongst some "math" heads (ex-member Ian Williams now in Battles), as a point of reference.

bay folks here might attest to some mathy bands/music (see: hella).

• [quote

bay folks here might attest to some mathy bands/music (see: hella).
    Hella is considered Math? I dig that too.

i had mirrored first and liked it well enough but the EP's really got me into these guys. considering seeing them when they come through the Chi. anyone seen em or can recommend seein em?

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I've seen them twice and was totally geeked both times. John Stainer is awesome to watch, especially with that cymbal he has 7 feet high in the air. Plus all that hammer/tapping on the guitar while playing keyboard is

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    MAth rock is just stuff with lots of odd time signatures, and seemingly arbitrary time signature changes. I haevn't heard this record, but I've heard other Battles stuff, and seen them live, and seen Don C. live. I prefer Storm and Stress, particularly their second album Under Thunder and Fluorescent Light. I'm pretty sure it's the same guitarist.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    MAth rock is just stuff with lots of odd time signatures, and seemingly arbitrary time signature changes. I haevn't heard this record, but I've heard other Battles stuff, and seen them live, and seen Don C. live. I prefer Storm and Stress, particularly their second album Under Thunder and Fluorescent Light. I'm pretty sure it's the same guitarist.

You can kind of tell it's that guy from Don Cabellero but Battles is so much... well.. better. I hear nothing but great reports of Battles live shows too, which, so far I have missed.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

You can kind of tell it's that guy from Don Cabellero but Battles is so much... well.. better. I hear nothing but great reports of Battles live shows too, which, so far I have missed.

I remember enjoying the Battles show that I saw, but i can't remember anything specific. It was an enjoyable experience. The Don C show that I saw was terrible. I would recommend seeing Battles based off of what they were doing four years ago.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I've seen them twice---once two years ago when the EPs came out and then this past summer after Mirrored was released. Amazing group live, definately worth checking if they are in our area. The music videos for "Atlas" and "Tonto+" are pretty dope.

• The music videos for "Atlas" and "Tonto+" are pretty dope.

Therse guys are really going for it. I like that. Every detail is so onpoint.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I was eh on Don Cab and downright disliked Storm and Stress. Is Battles substantially different? Ya'll have me sort of curious.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I was eh on Don Cab and downright disliked Storm and Stress. Is Battles substantially different? Ya'll have me sort of curious.
    Battles is way different, as far as I'm concerned. It's really the antithesis of S&S, in terms of the kind of paying that they're utilizing. And Don C. is just a less interesting form of Battles. If S&S is free Jazz inspired, then Battles is Neu inspired.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Battles is way different, as far as I'm concerned. It's really the antithesis of S&S, in terms of the kind of paying that they're utilizing. And Don C. is just a less interesting form of Battles. If S&S is free Jazz inspired, then Battles is Neu inspired.

That sounds better to me. Both live and on record, S+S just made me think "I should be listening to some jazz instead. Or any of the countless other rock bands that have looked to free jazz for inspiration before." They just didn't seem to pull it off to me, I felt like they were in over their heads.

• then Battles is Neu inspired.

very "kraut-y".