Davis, California

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I never do this, and I know it's becoming the new price check on the Strut, but I know zilch about Davis and am going to be up there on Saturday for a radio conference. Are there any record stores/spots worth my time in cow town? I'll use the phone book if I have to, but any recommendations are greatly appreciated.I'd make it up to Sacto to peep the new K-Street location at the old Tower building, but I don't think I'll have the time. Anyone been yet? From the pictures the old spot is officially done for. RIP, I loved that place.

Comments

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I grew up there. I could tell you about all the "used to" record spots, but for all terms and purposes, the "official" record shops are dead and gone. Recycle records was dope before it became armadillo, but armadillo only carries CDs now. Since you are going on a Saturday, there's crazy garage sales all over Davis, but that would be a hump and you might as well hit up Josh's secret stash @ K street. No, I never went downstairs. One other idea coming @ you via PM.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, there's not much record-wise in Davis. I think the nearest actual shops are all in Sac.

• I grew up there. I could tell you about all the "used to" record spots, but for all terms and purposes, the "official" record shops are dead and gone. Recycle records was dope before it became armadillo, but armadillo only carries CDs now. Since you are going on a Saturday, there's crazy garage sales all over Davis, but that would be a hump and you might as well hit up Josh's secret stash @ K street. No, I never went downstairs. One other idea coming @ you via PM.

I used to spend hour after hour after hour in the basement for a whole summer...good fun...

we actually found the "fossilized" bat...(the smell, mold, etc. down there was pretty abhorrible)...found some great records though!

• Yeah, there's not much record-wise in Davis. I think the nearest actual shops are all in Sac.

yep. but there are always a gang of Davis garage sales on wknds.

damn I miss that lil town sometimes....

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Thanks peoples, I got a few leads here and there now. K-Street was amazing indeed - I never got to spend hours down in the basement cause at that point they had the health and safety violations, but just being down there for a tour was amazing.

I actually spent a lot of weekends up in Davis when I was real young visiting my cousin, but haven't been since I was 13 or so. I do remember it being a really friendly town that was perfectly flat to bike around.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    There is in fact a record store in Davis called Armadillo that use to sell vinyl, but I believe they went all CD. There are actually 3 good record stores in Sac.