Microwave AND PRO-TOOLS TECH QUESTIONZZZZZZ!

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
The Microwave board was no help and various pro-tool sites haven't been very helpfull either.1). My Macbook is pretty much filled so I decided to buy a 160 gig portable drive. I want to use to put all my Microwave mp3's and crates files on here and eventually delete all the music on my actual laptop drive to free up space and improve performance. Can someone give me a run-through on how to do this. 2). Again, a maxed-out hardrive (NAGL!) I have a big 500 GIG back-up drive that I want to use as my pro-tool sessions drive, but when I try and save said pro-tool sessions to this drive I get a warning from pro-tools saying something to the effect of "make this volume a record volume". I've tried selecting it in the disc allocation menu but nothing.PLAESE TO HERP!

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    PATRICK!

I can't help you with Pro Tools, but S.erato and external drives should be pretty easy. It will recognize the drive and read it just fine. Try plugging it in and playing files off it and you'll see what I mean.

Not to thread jack, but I have a question too related to the mighty Dildo and Macs.
    A friend of mine just bought a new Macbook and S.erato and for some reason can't trigger cue points with the # keys in relative mode. I'm assuming it's something simple, but I searched around online and had no luck.

• PATRICK!

I can't help you with Pro Tools, but S.erato and external drives should be pretty easy. It will recognize the drive and read it just fine. Try plugging it in and playing files off it and you'll see what I mean.

Not to thread jack, but I have a question too related to the mighty Dildo and Macs.
    A friend of mine just bought a new Macbook and S.erato and for some reason can't trigger cue points with the # keys in relative mode. I'm assuming it's something simple, but I searched around online and had no luck.

dee:

Alright i'll try it out.

your boy might need an update or something. I rememebr when I got my set-up I had to get a newer version that ran on those intel/duel/whatever macs.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I had this problem, too--the issue was that the default Microwave setting was that you needed to hold down Shift and hit the number in order to trigger the cue points. There should be an option under Setup related to this--just change that setting, and it should be good to go.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    He's got the latest official version so I don't think that's it. Maybe a setting in
    ?
    I never had that problem with mine, but another dude I know can't trigger cue points on his either.

• Not to thread jack, but I have a question too related to the mighty Dildo and Macs.

I had this problem, too--the issue was that the default Microwave setting was that you needed to hold down Shift and hit the number in order to trigger the cue points. There should be an option under Setup related to this--just change that setting, and it should be good to go.

yes, and if number lock is on it wont let you trigger cue points.

• Not to thread jack, but I have a question too related to the mighty Dildo and Macs.

is the caps lock on? On my mac I have to have the caps lock on for the # keys to trigger cue points.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ahhhh ok that's it. I think it's something about the caps lock key. I'll let him know. Thanks.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

2). Again, a maxed-out hardrive (NAGL!) I have a big 500 GIG back-up drive that I want to use as my pro-tool sessions drive, but when I try and save said pro-tool sessions to this drive I get a warning from pro-tools saying something to the effect of "make this volume a record volume". I've tried selecting it in the disc allocation menu but nothing.

Is this an error that prevents you from actually saving, or is it just some sort of notification?

I have Pro Tools recording to an external drive (though the actual Pro Tools program lives on my built-in drive). I forget exactly how I set it up to do so, but I'll see if I can figure it out when I get home.

• 2). Again, a maxed-out hardrive (NAGL!) I have a big 500 GIG back-up drive that I want to use as my pro-tool sessions drive, but when I try and save said pro-tool sessions to this drive I get a warning from pro-tools saying something to the effect of "make this volume a record volume". I've tried selecting it in the disc allocation menu but nothing.

Is this an error that prevents you from actually saving, or is it just some sort of notification?

I have Pro Tools recording to an external drive (though the actual Pro Tools program lives on my built-in drive). I forget exactly how I set it up to do so, but I'll see if I can figure it out when I get home.

thanks...that's exactly how I have it. Pro-tools on the magic typing box

• Recording to a system drive.

I don't have my PT here but here's the deal. Open PT. Do you use the digibase browser? Open it up and look at the external drive. It should have a way there to change the volume to record. A pulldown menu or something. I can't remember but you got the idea. Now go. Godspeed with you.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

2). Again, a maxed-out hardrive (NAGL!) I have a big 500 GIG back-up drive that I want to use as my pro-tool sessions drive, but when I try and save said pro-tool sessions to this drive I get a warning from pro-tools saying something to the effect of "make this volume a record volume". I've tried selecting it in the disc allocation menu but nothing.

PLAESE TO HERP!

Here's the rundown...

In Protools go to the windows menu and select show workspace.

In the columns labeled A and V select the hard drive and make it a "record" volume.

That should do the trick.

PLAESE TO HERP!

Here's the rundown...

In the columns labeled A and V select the hard drive and make it a "record" volume.

ACCCH! I tried that and it says it's not a valid record volume..

and everytime i try to use Microwave with this jump drive shit crashes

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Are you talking about DJing off a thumb drive or a regular external hard drive?

• and everytime i try to use Microwave with this jump drive shit crashes

those 160 portable jernts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

PLAESE TO HERP!

Here's the rundown...

ACCCH! I tried that and it says it's not a valid record volume..

Do you have any files on the drive now?

We had this come up at work w/ some older drives and we had to reformat them in order for them to be recognized by protools. If you do end up doing a reformat make sure it is Mac OS Extended.

• and everytime i try to use Microwave with this jump drive shit crashes

those 160 portable jernts

Alright....so via import Microwave reads my drive/mp3s but still no crates. Every time I go to that root folder the crates don't pop-up, I got all the stuff I've record via Microwave that gets put in that folder but no crates/sub-crates

PLAESE TO HERP!

Here's the rundown...

this has happened to me and all i have to do is repair the disk permissions in the disk utility program...

• did you create a ".scratchlive" (hidden) folder to put your crates into?

• Alright so as of now I've been able to figure Microwave will read files from the portable drive no problem. But my real question is:

If I want to free-up the main drive space by deleting these mp3's, which HAVE been backed up on this portable drive, am I going to have to do an initial re-drag and re-drop for every single mp3 that's already been categorized into every single existing crate ?

I'm really trying avoid this, my main crate alone has about 500 songs in it.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Not if you have your crates backed up on the external and the file path stays the same. With the new version of s.erato you'll be able to find your tracks, but in the meantime just make sure the crates and folders on the HD match how it is on your computer and you should be straight.
    Try deleting some and loading them back up from the HD to see if it works.

[color:white] and send me that MP3 focker! I know you're probably staring at it on your comp right neeyaow [/color]

• regarding your PT issues, I know there are some externals that aren't compatible with Pro Tools.

have you checked this site out for more info?

http://duc.digidesign.com/

this is a great resource to see if your system is optimized for recording.

hope this helps.

ez

gusto.

• Not if you have your crates backed up on the external and the file path stays the same. With the new version of s.erato you'll be able to find your tracks, but in the meantime just make sure the crates and folders on the HD match how it is on your computer and you should be straight.
    Try deleting some and loading them back up from the HD to see if it works.

FILE NOT FOUND

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    make sure the crates and folders on the HD match how it is on your computer

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i can't be fucked to read everything in this thread but for any crate related problems, i strongly recommend creating a main Microwave folder and then creating individual folders within that folder that would resemble your crates. that way anytime your crates get fucked, you can just drag and drop into Microwave and not worry about redoing everything.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    i can't be fucked to read everything in this thread but for any crate related problems, i strongly recommend creating a main Microwave folder and then creating individual folders within that folder that would resemble your crates. that way anytime your crates get fucked, you can just drag and drop into Microwave and not worry about redoing everything.
    thats what i do and i use scratchtools to mirror my folders when i add new stuff or move things around

• the saga lives...

So I've basically copied all the roots on my main drive to mirror exactly on this external (at least...I think I did it right) but now I'm having problems with the cratse. I've found the hidden crate, copied the EXACT same shit from my Main drive to this folder, but now when I go into the import window and I select on either "crate" or "subcrate" I get nuffin'! I get it for "recording" but not for those two.

yeesh