EPMD LYRICS CONUNDRUM

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
You would think that after 20 years of listening, I wouldfinally know all the lyrics to the songs on "Strictly Business" - but I am notoriously dim when it comes to figuring out lyrics ...I mean, it took me years to figure out "green beret" in the line"You're just a soldier, and I'm a Green Beret ... " - for years Ithought he was saying "... and I'm a krugerrand," which is a SouthAfrican coin (making the lyrics more complicated in my mind than theyreally are is a real problem), so you can see where I have issues.Anyhow, the song in question is "You're a Customer" and the line is:
I consider myself better than averageYo, I rock the mic like a wild beast savage------I'm in the ???????? ?????[/b], I can't concentrateI make a move like chess, and then I yell "checkmate"
Now, all the online lyrics sites list it as "I'm in the bottling state"... and that is certainly what it sounds like, but what the fuck does thateven mean? "Bottling state???" The second word does seem to be "state"but "bottling" sure seems like a stretch, unless the term has some meaning thatI am disconnected from. "BOTTLING STATE???"SERIOUSLY - someone get Erick Sermon on the phone and CLEAR THIS SHIT UP.

Comments

• violent state?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I think I have always heard it as 'bodily state'.

Not sure what that would mean either though.

Sounds scientific.

• I was really hoping this thread would address the ongoing debate over whether the E Double E says "I drive a Samurai Suzuki" or "I drive my little son Maliki".

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    i vote for

"bottled up state"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bottling
    7.bottle up,
    a.to repress, control, or restrain: He kept all of his anger bottled up inside him.
    b.to enclose or entrap: Traffic was bottled up in the tunnel.

edit: i always thought he said "borrowing state"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was really hoping this thread would address the ongoing debate over whether the E Double E says "I drive a Samurai Suzuki" or "I drive my little son Maliki".

That was always a tough one, too!

Going by context, I always figured "Samurai Suzuki" -
    since it follows the line, "you drive a Corvette - "
    and of course, this was recorded during that 3-week-period
    where Samurai Suzukis were actually considered cool ...
    nowadays, it would be the equal of saying "you drive a Corvette,
    I drive a Ford Fiesta"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    What about "You wake up MUTLEY because you're dreaming again..."

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Also, remember when I had a JVC Force lyrical conundrum ("Living In C.I., Who the hell am I, AJ Rock with the juice, I get fly, cool with the roofing guy[/b]...") and AJ came on the site to SCHOOL US?

• I think I have always heard it as 'bottomless[/b] state'.

Not sure what that would mean either though.

This is what I am looking for.

The E-Double to come through and school.

And NOT Harvey Canal pretending to be E, neither

• I was really hoping this thread would address the ongoing debate over whether the E Double E says "I drive a Samurai Suzuki" or "I drive my little son Maliki".

Word, people confused this lyric? I always thought he said "Samurai Suzuki" and never even questioned it. The other one though... I always thought he said, "I'm in a bodily state..." which really, makes no sense at all.... "Bottled up state," seems to be the most logical suggestion so far....

• It was years before I realized he was saying, "I'm on track like a Long Island Train Conductor." Apparently, the lyrical lisp does not limit itself to phrases containing the letter S.

It was years before I realized he was saying, "I'm on track like a Long Island Train Conductor." Apparently, the lyrical lisp does not limit itself to phrases containing the letter S.

YES!!! I would say some seriously whacked shit like,
    "... but I'm on track, like a long-haired finger-flicker"

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It was years before I realized he was saying, "I'm on track like a Long Island Train Conductor." Apparently, the lyrical lisp does not limit itself to phrases containing the letter S.

YES!!! I would say some seriously whacked shit like,
    "... but I'm on track, like a long-haired finger-flicker"

Hahah word the fuck up!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I'm not totally convinced he says that.

Word, people confused this lyric? I always thought he said "Samurai Suzuki" and never even questioned it.

*sigh*

It was from an old Rap Bandit column. Nobody gets my jokes...

• It was years before I realized he was saying, "I'm on track like a Long Island Train Conductor." Apparently, the lyrical lisp does not limit itself to phrases containing the letter S.

Then what are you partially convinced that he says?

And are you aware of the trains that run--on tracks--to Long Island?

• a??mi??go[/b] (ə-mē'gō) Spanish
    n.
    Terminology for friend.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I think he says something like "I'm on track like a Log-on-Shikker-Digger."

But yeah, maybe your interpretation makes more sense.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Also, remember when I had a JVC Force lyrical conundrum ("Living In C.I., Who the hell am I, AJ Rock with the juice, I get fly, cool with the roofing guy[/b]...") and AJ came on the site to SCHOOL US?

It was "riffin'" instead of "roofin'". I know it because it was one of my favorite lyrics of the song besides B-Love's first 4 lines:

B-Love, I'm the top biller,
    Part-time iller, permanent chiller,
    Son of Sam killer, the horror in the villa,
    Like Michael Jackson, yo, I am a thriller.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    a??mi??go[/b] (ə-mē'gō) Spanish
    n.
    Terminology for friend.

Awesome.

From that same song, I at first mistook "you must be loced on sess" to be "you must be on cassettes," which was confusing, to say the least.

Word, people confused this lyric? I always thought he said "Samurai Suzuki" and never even questioned it.

*sigh*

It was from an old Rap Bandit column. Nobody gets my jokes...

durp! sorry, i failed to memorize all of the rap bandit columns. but then, i have trouble remembering my middle name....

• Rap Bandit!!!

• I consider myself better than average
    Yo, I rock the mic like a wild beast savage

------

I'm in the
    ???????? ?????[/b], I can't concentrate
    I make a move like chess, and then I yell "checkmate"

he is saying "i'm in a violent state", but eric rhymes like he has marbles in his mouth, so it came out sounding like "i'm in a bottlin' state". that's it, it's that simple. there is no such thing as a "bottlin' state".

• i'm really far more troubled by the "i need a man-meal sandwich, yes i need manwich" line

• i'm really far more troubled by the "i need a man-meal sandwich, yes i need manwich" line

How about:

"As I walk through the crowd I can see heads turnin'/
    I hear voices saying 'that's Eric Sermon'/
    Not only from the women, but from the men/
    You know what, it feels good my friend.[/b]"

• violent state?

having weighed all of the proffered explanations, I still maintain that he is saying "violent state."

• reskresk 391 Posts
    what the hell are they singing in the chorus of crossover?

Wasn't E-Double rumored to be the gay rapper?

• It was years before I realized he was saying, "I'm on track like a Long Island Train Conductor."

i never knew what the hell he was saying either... "Long Island shiggaducka". It's amazing how clearly "train conductor" sounds when I listen to it now armed with the knowledge of what's actually coming out of his mouth

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

That part to me always was "I'm on track like a long island finger ducker"

Isn't there a line that says "When I say duck you were bah hah hah'ed"?