Recording Artists who released too many records

Comments

• Zappa

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Vaughn Meader did not release that many albums. You're just tired of seeing the same one over and over.[/b]
    ...and over and over and over and over and over and over...

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Kool Keith and MF Doom, both artists who seem to be following the quantity over quality idea...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    some of this stuff is pretty unfair, seem to be based more on RECORDS SOLD than actual releases. herb alpert and the tijuana brass only put out a handful of records, they just sold so well that you see them everywhere. i dont think that should count, regardless of whether or not you like them. this thread should focus more on artists with the, as already mentioned, quantity over quality mindset.

dr. octagon was cool and probably the first hip-hop record i ever liked, but yeah...is there anything else kool keith did that is even remotely memorable? (ultramag excluded)

i vow to never become an artist who puts out as much music as possible, as fast as i can. that shit would be so depressing. wheres the passion for music in artists like this?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Zappa

WRONG CHOICE

BAN NOW

• Sandy Nelson

101 Strings

Bobby Valentin

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    U2
    Madonna

• Zappa

WRONG CHOICE

BAN NOW

saying zappa put out a ton of records isnt mere criticism, its a natural FACT - that fucker was prolific

• Zappa

WRONG CHOICE

BAN NOW

saying zappa put out a ton of records isnt mere criticism, its a natural FACT - that fucker was boring[/b]

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    As much as I love him, Jimmy Smith belongs on this list. Dude probably averaged three or four albums a year over twenty years, with as many as eight records a year in his prime. And it's not like there was a dramatic progression in his sound over that period.

• As much as I love him, Jimmy Smith belongs on this list. Dude probably averaged three or four albums a year over twenty years, with as many as eight records a year in his prime. And it's not like there was a dramatic progression in his sound over that period.

The main difference I've noticed is that several of those Verve albums go WAY overboard on the horn sections...

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    prince

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    Sizzla and David Bowie as both actor and recording artist

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    You guys ever heard of Takeshi "Terry" Terauchi?

- spidey

Yeah, I read about him in this;

He was in one of those Ventures-type bands that were huge in Japan during the 60s. I guess he never stopped recording?

Gotta represent for Max...

Not only was this dude prolific, but he also sold shitloads of records. At one point, charity shops in the UK were refusing to take them because they already had so many sitting there unsold.

Finally, the god Hansi;

It always seemed as if James Last made literally hundreds of records. Unlike Max Bygraves, one or two of them are actually pretty good.

• you need to be banned for this one!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    You guys ever heard of Takeshi "Terry" Terauchi?

- spidey

He was in one of those Ventures-type bands that were huge in Japan during the 60s. I guess he never stopped recording?

Terry is the a real ill japanese surf guitarist who's discography is MASSIVE.

I count like 164 LP's before he started coming out with CD's.

I can't really tell which ones are best ofs or reissues though..

http://msato.net/Music/dsctfram.html

It looks like the site stops around 2005 with his releases, but maybe they couldn't keep up with any of his new shit.

Insane.

- spidey

• Not like I'm a big fan but B> Herb Albert[/b] just donated 30 million $$$ to UCLA[/b] to transform their music department into an actual fully funded school. He gets a pass. P>
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Firestone Christmas"[/b] lp's....

• Rod Stewart
    Tom Jones
    Eric B
    Stereo Mcs

• Not like I'm a big fan but B> Herb Albert[/b] just donated 30 million $$$ to UCLA[/b] to transform their music department into an actual fully funded school. He gets a pass. P>
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Firestone Christmas"[/b] lp's....
    Wow, I didn't think he had close to 30 million to his name, let alont to donate!

• Not like I'm a big fan but B> Herb Albert[/b] just donated 30 million $$$ to UCLA[/b] to transform their music department into an actual fully funded school. He gets a pass.[/b]

Gets a pass? Pass for what? To go to the bathroom?

Just because an artist has a gazillion albums in their discography doesn't mean they're going straight to hell, it just means they have a gazillion albums to their name![/b] That's not an opinion; that's a fact! Herb Alpert made enough elpees to choke a horse! But that's no crime to humanity (unless you hate his music!). What's all this "they get a pass" business?

Wow, I didn't think he had close to 30 million to his name, let alont to donate!
    Well, between those Tijuana Brass albums and being co-owner of A&M Records, don't you think Herb Alpert should have a nice li'l stash of money set up by now?

• peace, stein. . .

• 101 Strings way to many....

• LL Cool J (After Mama Said...the rest were )
    Ice Cube (Shoulda stopped after Lethal)

• Lenny Kravitz and Johnny Hoes

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

FALSE

UCLA doesn't strike me as the kind of school that needs 30 million dollars. But hey, better than blowing it all on mescaline and mail order Russian brides I guess.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    As a Collective I would say,

the entire Wu-Tang Clan

What about:
    Pink Floyd
    Jefferson Airplane / Starship Wtf?
    Herbie Hancock (via Void)
    Ohio Players
    George Benson
    and
    uhhh, The Grateful Dead???

Thrift Store Commons / Country Artists may include