tech heads - help wanted : cartridge issues

djsoulfeverdjsoulfever 39 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I have two M447 cartridges with Technics headshells, one of which is all of a sudden not as loud as the other, it's not the needle or mixer channel either. It's for sure either the cartridge, or the headshell or both. I tryed fudging with the wires, etc, to no avail. Any idea as to the source of this problem, what I can do, or should I just get a new headshell?

Comments

• Did you already try swapping the headshells from one side to the other to see if it is the mixer channel or grounds?

If that doesn't isolate the problems, try changing the stylus from the "faulty" headshell to the other, to see if the needle itself is worn. unless they were dropped or crunched or sumpthin, cartridges are usually pretty tough.

How long have you been using these needles/how often/scratchscratchscratch?

• Yeah I already did all of that, many different ways, I have three fresh out the box needles, etc. I have for sure isolated the problem to the cartridge/headshell, it has nothing to do with the needle, mixer channel, or tonearm connection.

• Shucks, wish I could help you.

How old are the cartridges?

• Shucks, wish I could help you.

How old are the cartridges?

Old enough, as in 7 years. The "good" one sometimes gets the green wire loose, which lowers the output on one half of the stereo channel, which is easily fixable, just reattach the wire. But this other cartridge doesn't have a wire problem seemingly, just isn't as loud. If nothing else tho, thanks for replying.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Out of curiosity...what mixer do you have?

I have somewhat the same problem using M44-7's and I'm convinced that it's my shitty Vestax mixer...they use pretty cheap electrical components. I've been procrastinating, but someday I'll get a Rane 56.

The way I tested was by swapping headshells, then swapping turntable inputs. For me, everything on input 2 is just a little bit softer. Hasn't been enough to make me go get a new mixer though...

• Out of curiosity...what mixer do you have?

I have somewhat the same problem using M44-7's and I'm convinced that it's my shitty Vestax mixer...they use pretty cheap electrical components. I've been procrastinating, but someday I'll get a Rane 56.

The way I tested was by swapping headshells, then swapping turntable inputs. For me, everything on input 2 is just a little bit softer. Hasn't been enough to make me go get a new mixer though...

Ok, this is very longwinded, so hopefully my real tech heads can follow.

No my prob is not mixer related, I have an ecler nuo 2, it's solid. However, incidentally, my OTHER cartridge is now fucked, the one with the loose wire(green wire). The problem with that one kept reoccuring last night, kept reattaching the green wire and now i only get loud output through one half of the stereo channel with that one. Reattaching does nothing. But that was the louder cartridge...

I did manage to figure out the softer cartridge's problem. The slit where you lodge the needle in is somehow looser , to the point where the stylus wobbles a little bit when playing. This means it is not as securely connected to the cartridge/headshell, hence, the lower output. So I have two seperate headshells, two seperate problems, I've solved the source of both of them, now I need to figure out how to fix them. Probably impossible. Probably need two new headshells and/or cartridges, but I'm very low on funds right now. And I need to make some mixtapes, digitize songs, asap. If there's any super duper technical people out there, who can at least follow what I'm talking about, maybe someone knows how to fix these shits. I would be very much obliged to this uber-guru expertise if it exists.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    use a pair of needle nose pliers to clamp the connection tighter on the green wire that keeps falling off.
    I've never seen a technics headshell itself malfunction, but the way to check would be to run a continuity check on the contact points on both sides. there should be very little (if any) impedance.
    get a detoxit pen @ radioshack and make sure on the inside of the tonearm and back of the headshell, everything is nice and clean. run a continuity check on your headshell wires.

other than that:
    Probably need two new headshells and/or cartridges

• use a pair of needle nose pliers to clamp the connection tighter on the green wire that keeps falling off.
    I've never seen a technics headshell itself malfunction, but the way to check would be to run a continuity check on the contact points on both sides. there should be very little (if any) impedance.
    get a detoxit pen @ radioshack and make sure on the inside of the tonearm and back of the headshell, everything is nice and clean. run a continuity check on your headshell wires.

Thanks man, I will do these things. I will post results, once I get everything sorted out.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    not to threadjack, but on a related note:

how long does a cartridge generally last? I try to get new needles at least every 6-8 months, but i am using my m447's since at least 7 years (i recently replaced one, but the other is still working)...is there like a general time frame that is widely agreed upon?

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    IF worst come to worst, it could be your rca cables from the your turntable. About a year ago i had the same problem with my needles until i figured out that i needed to resolder my left and right rca cables on the turntable. Its easy you could do it on your own.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    djsoulfever: Like 8bits was saying about the RCA cords, you can also solder the green wire, and any of those wires for that matter, directly from the end of the cartidge to the headshell. The will gaurantee ANY loose wire to be secure and is not that hard of a soldering job. The only problem is replacing a cartridge which would require desoldering the 4 wires and soldering a new cartridge in. Again...not too hard for someone that knows how to solder...but may seem like a daunting tasks to others.

In terms of how long will M44's last... WOW, gotta say that I've had the same cartridges for about 6 years now and have replaced the tips (stylii) once or twice for each cartidge. The M44's are known for taking a beating and I replace the tip when I can see the stylus really riding close to the records with almost no weight on the tonearm. I had a pair of tips that were so worn out that you could hear a background noise on every record I was playing because the tip was actually being dragged on the record! haha

• Ok, this is very longwinded, so hopefully my real tech heads can follow.

No my prob is not mixer related, I have an ecler nuo 2, it's solid. However, incidentally, my OTHER cartridge is now fucked, the one with the loose wire(green wire). The problem with that one kept reoccuring last night, kept reattaching the green wire and now i only get loud output through one half of the stereo channel with that one. Reattaching does nothing. But that was the louder cartridge...

I did manage to figure out the softer cartridge's problem. The slit where you lodge the needle in is somehow looser , to the point where the stylus wobbles a little bit when playing. This means it is not as securely connected to the cartridge/headshell, hence, the lower output. So I have two seperate headshells, two seperate problems, I've solved the source of both of them, now I need to figure out how to fix them. Probably impossible. Probably need two new headshells and/or cartridges, but I'm very low on funds right now. And I need to make some mixtapes, digitize songs, asap. If there's any super duper technical people out there, who can at least follow what I'm talking about, maybe someone knows how to fix these shits. I would be very much obliged to this uber-guru expertise if it exists.

this problem is a bitch! you need a very small jewlers screwdriver set.

there are 2 screws located under the tonearm where you insert the cartridge...they are loose making all carts loose that you attatch.

i have this problem on one of my 1200s, this is a bitch if you use Microwave cause it simply kills it for you everytime the cart is wiggled the wrong way.

you need a screw driver with a VERY short handle to fix this...

take this one to a shop for this repair. you wont have the right tools sitting around.

• Ok, this is very longwinded, so hopefully my real tech heads can follow.

this problem is a bitch! you need a very small jewlers screwdriver set.

there are 2 screws located under the tonearm where you insert the cartridge...they are loose making all carts loose that you attatch.

i have this problem on one of my 1200s, this is a bitch if you use Microwave cause it simply kills it for you everytime the cart is wiggled the wrong way.

you need a screw driver with a VERY short handle to fix this...

take this one to a shop for this repair. you wont have the right tools sitting around.

No, it's not the cartridge that's wobbling in and out of the the tonearm. It's the stylus enclosure that's wobbling in and out of the cartridge, in a slight up and down motion, if you can picture it. It doesn't affect play, cueing, scratching, just the decibel output. Probably equally as hard if not impossible to fix as your problem, bloodcell. The other cartridge has the wire problem, this one could be fixable. Either way, what a pain in the ass.