The Crate Diggin' Lifestyle

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Plaese to explain what this entails.

Comments

• I rock the same clothes three days straight/
    To you they're wrinkled but to me they're straight.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

a proverbial parachute I assume

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I rock the same clothes three days straight/
    To you they're wrinkled but to me they're straight.

oh, and I also buy records on-line.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    I propose adding a 'lifestyle' info field below location.

• I propose adding a 'lifestyle' info field below location.

oh yeah, I on that one.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

cargo pants
    extra smedium "dilla changed my life" tees
    new balances
    beard
    asian girlfriend
    toys "limited edition molded plastic collectible art figures"

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

cargo pants
    new balances
    beard
    asian girlfriend

Ahhh this template is oh so true.

• Plaese to explain what this entails.

cargo pants
    new balances
    beard
    asian girlfriend

lol.

• So how many of those requisites do I have to cross off to be down? I fear I shall forever be a little dude 'cos I don't dig NB's and toys, and don't look like getting an asian girlfriend any time soon.

Really though, isn't the whole "lifestyle" thing just a marketing construct? Something designed to make people easier to sell shit to?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

cargo pants
    new balances
    beard
    asian girlfriend

I was going to add onto this list, but I can't come up with anything else on that level right now.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

cargo pants
    new balances
    beard
    portable turntable
    mao cap instead of baseball style
    gave to amnisty international
    could be in law school or a lawyer
    liked the wu now hates them
    asian girlfriend

how dare you

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    TOP TEN WAYS YOU CAN TELL IF YOU ARE LIVING THE CRATE DIGGIN' LIFESTYLE

10) The tips of your fingers need chapstick in the Winter

9) The Leo Sayer LP's are always in the front of the crate after you've been to a diggin spot

8) The sight of Japanese people makes you do everything at double speed

7) You own three backpacks but have never been camping/hiking

6) You know how to say "Records" and "3 for a dollar" in 6 different languages.

5) You have a Salvation Army debit card

4) You ask your doctor to define the results of your Physical as VG, VG+ or Mint-

3) You've bought one of your own records back from the Goodwill

2) You wear steel tip shoes and knee pads every weekend

THE NUMBER ONE WAY YOU CAN TELL YOU'RE LIVING THE CRATE DIGGIN' LIFESTYLE

1) You track down the original owners of your used records to admonish them for not keeping them in better condition..

• oh, oh, can I play too?

Most of the records you own, you bought only because of an already used 2 second sample

You must tell everyone around you which song uses the sample in question.

When at a club or party, you lip sync the words to every song like

• a proverbial parachute I assume

yo you put those on your fingers when you have to dig through a stack of musty molded records that have alot of water damage.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

cargo pants

I just want to say that I bought cargo pants(sale at Value City in PG) for the first time in my life about a month ago, and I gotta say, I love them fuckers. I will be buying more and rocking them at every dig spot I can find.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

cargo pants

I just want to say that I bought cargo pants(sale at Value City in PG) for the first time in my life about a month ago, and I gotta say, I love them fuckers. I will be buying more and rocking them at every dig spot I can find.

Do what you must, but please--please--do not wear them with sneakers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

cargo pants

Do what you must, but please--please--do not wear them with sneakers.

now I am intrigued....crocs, perhaps? Boat shoes? Or Spicolli-flavored chequered Vans? I don't know that I own sneakers, unless Chuck Taylors count.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Steel toed boots. Witness the swagger this half-mannequin displays:

• Plaese to explain what this entails.

cargo pants
    new balances
    beard
    asian girlfriend

...and a subscription to Dapper Digger Daily magazine. pick this magazine up at the next record con or swap meet so you'll know what's correct.

also remember: the new breed of folks are called "crate diggers." as opposed to "record collectors" (who are usually either hardnosed rich rosen doo-wop types, or antisocial 78 collectors like that sorry guy in the movie Ghost World who tried - and failed - to seduce scarlett johansen at steve buscemi's "party").

• I was Djing the other night for a DJ Kentaro gig and this guy came up to me and told me this really fascinating and interesting story about how he bought some new turntables and a mixer and he had these really expenisive needles that he can scratch really well with.

He then asked me why my record was so small

confused I replied, "it's a 45?"

He says... "what's that?"

I had no idea these people existed.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Hahahaha

This phenomena will only increase with the passage of time!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    (who are usually either hardnosed rich rosen doo-wop types, or antisocial 78 collectors like that sorry guy in the movie Ghost World who tried - and failed - to seduce scarlett johansen at steve buscemi's "party").

I've known at least 20 guys who could have easily been at the Ghost World Party.

I may be one of them.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I find that I typically like people who are selling records. But those other people buying records...bastards, every last one of em.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

also remember: the new breed of folks are called "crate diggers."

Please. "Crate Diggers" is so 2001.

This is the era of the "vinyl junkie" - and they will
    grip that YES "Relayer" faster than you can say Roger Dean.

YES "Relayer"

FUN WITH AMAZON.COM READER REVIEWS VOLUME 783:[/b]

Intense, harsh, ethereal, voluminous and ruggedly symphonic, Yes' 1974 release, _Relayer_ is arguably their most dark, experimental, grandiose and aggressive. 1972's _Close To The Edge_ was positive, peaceful and reflective. 1973's _Tales From Topographic Oceans_ was spiritually (and/or religiously) deep. However, on _Relayer_, Yes gets bleak, harsh and ominous--attributes that are rare in the positive, hopeful, celestial and peaceful world of Yes. But, make no mistake, the cosmic factor is in droves on this album, and is one non-stop sonic adventure.

The 22-minute war tale known as "The Gates Of Delirium", is a gargantuan slice of mystical progressive rock. In atmosphere, this epic features screaming synths, manic guitar solos and overall explosive volatility. Steve Howe's claustrophobic, finger-itching and hasty-paced guitar solos qualify him as nothing less than a virtuoso. Jon Anderson's vocals are ethereal, heartfelt and moving. Some of the rhythms played by Alan White are quite tricky, and not to be taken lightly. Later, Steve Howe and Chris Squire (bass) play something of an ascending scale before the violent, stormy and powerful instrumental middle section takes off. This is followed by the achingly beautiful "Soon, oh soon" section. The sad and poignant synthesizer backdrops provided by Patrick Moraz, set the stage for Jon Anderson's most poignant, ethereal and shiver-sending performance. His very last sung line (The sun will lead us, our reason to be here) makes my soul cry. After that, the epic sadly fades into oblivion.

"Sound Chaser" is a manic, frenzied and aggressive jazz-fusion number, which features enough technical mastery to give classic King Crimson a run for their money. Alan White's drumming is ultra-technical and violent. He plays as if there were no tomorrow. Steve Howe's guitar parts are fluid and virtuosic. The middle section features an extended guitar solo. Steve also seems to slip a portion of "Mood For A Day" (off of _Fragile_) on here as well. Chris Squire's snaky basslines sandwiched in the crazed mix are something to behold as well.

"To Be Over" is the mellow closer of the album. It features country-esque soundscapes (courtesy of Steve Howe's pedal steel), an instrumental section featuring many eerie sounds seeping from Patrick Moraz's keyboards, and a finale of chant-like vocal harmonies.

_Relayer_ is Yes hitting on all cylinders: Violence, intensity, aggression, gloom, despair, ethereality, love, hope (and maybe triumph). The complexity here may take some getting used to. But, in the end, _Relayer_ is a trip worth taking.

• also remember: the new breed of folks are called "crate diggers."

Please. "Crate Diggers" is so 2001.

Dude, do not argue with me. The new ish of Dapper Digger Daily sez "crate digger" is making a comeback, and they never lie!

The new ish 2001 King-Size Annual of Dapper Digger Daily
    sez "crate digger" is making a comeback, and they never lie!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

a proverbial parachute I assume

yo you put those on your fingers when you have to dig through a stack of musty molded records that have alot of water damage.

Damn! You must have HUGE fingers dude!!
    You gotta post up some pics !

I should have elaborated a bit more, I was referring to one of these:

But now that you mention it, I do think something like this might come in handy:

You know..... but only for Museum quality "digs"

For moldy situations I always go with one of these: