no country for old men

1235»

Comments

• psycho killer drug dude

plaese to cite the drug-related aspects of dude's character.

• This excerpt from MTV.com speaks on the haircut, the accent, and other points of interest:

But even Jones couldn't have predicted the career-defining effort by Bardem, whose methodical Chigurh is already being dubbed the new Hannibal Lecter. "It lasted five minutes, the haircut itself," Bardem said of the creepy, early-'80s pageboy look he sports in the film. "And it lasted three months living with it."

The hairdo makes Chigurh look like a demented prince from a "Shrek" movie, and in reality, the cut became the scariest thing for a man trying to give a scary performance. "No matter what you do with it, it will stay the same shape," he laughed. "So you're going to buy milk or something, and people will look at you like, 'What's wrong with this guy?' Every time you wake up it's not easy to face yourself ??? but with that haircut, it's even more difficult."

Undoubtedly, it will be even more difficult for anyone to face Bardem after "Country," particularly thanks to a tense scene that has his character flirting with the notion of killing a gas-station attendant just for kicks. "That was a long scene that has a lot of dialogue, and since we worked hard on the goal of getting rid of my accent as much as we could, it was difficult," he remembered of the moment. "The actor who plays the character of the guy at the gas station did an amazing job ... because when you are playing a king, you have to make sure people see you like a king. In this case, he is seeing me like a monster ??? so you don't have to play a monster."

Bardem admits to being a bit confused by Chigurh's constant coin-flipping, however, which was a dangerous game in the script, but didn't translate to his Spanish roots. "The thing with the coin is something I've never done," he admitted of the Two-Face-like gimmick that his character employs to decide who lives and who dies. "It must be a very singular game in this country, because people seem to understand it here better than in my own country. We don't flip coins."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    This excerpt from MTV.com speaks on the haircut, the accent, and other points of interest:

But even Jones couldn't have predicted the career-defining effort by Bardem, whose methodical Chigurh is already being dubbed the new Hannibal Lecter. "It lasted five minutes, the haircut itself," Bardem said of the creepy, early-'80s pageboy look he sports in the film. "And it lasted three months living with it."

The hairdo makes Chigurh look like a demented prince from a "Shrek" movie, and in reality, the cut became the scariest thing for a man trying to give a scary performance. "No matter what you do with it, it will stay the same shape," he laughed. "So you're going to buy milk or something, and people will look at you like, 'What's wrong with this guy?' Every time you wake up it's not easy to face yourself ??? but with that haircut, it's even more difficult."

Undoubtedly, it will be even more difficult for anyone to face Bardem after "Country," particularly thanks to a tense scene that has his character flirting with the notion of killing a gas-station attendant just for kicks. "That was a long scene that has a lot of dialogue, and since we worked hard on the goal of getting rid of my accent as much as we could, it was difficult," he remembered of the moment. "The actor who plays the character of the guy at the gas station did an amazing job ... because when you are playing a king, you have to make sure people see you like a king. In this case, he is seeing me like a monster ??? so you don't have to play a monster."

Bardem admits to being a bit confused by Chigurh's constant coin-flipping, however, which was a dangerous game in the script, but didn't translate to his Spanish roots. "The thing with the coin is something I've never done," he admitted of the Two-Face-like gimmick that his character employs to decide who lives and who dies. "It must be a very singular game in this country, because people seem to understand it here better than in my own country. We don't flip coins."

I heard everything he said above in his voice from the movie. Yikes!

• It's this [/b] I take issue with.

an actor who was patently thirty years too young.

really though? doesn't the movie take place in '79 or '80? the last US servicemen left Vietnam in '75. Brolin looks like he is AT LEAST 25 in the movie but more likely in his 30's. and assuming people as young as 18 were drafted to Vietnam...what's the age problem with the young Brolin?
    i'm pretty sure the article implied the story was planned to be set 2007-ish. only after the alleged brolin mix-up did they decide to set it in the early 80's to make the age work. the article also claims shia labeoufu was cast for tommy lee jones part, making me think even more this is all a put-on.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Wow, I must have been in the wrong frame of mind or something, because I didn't love this so much..

It was filmed beautifully, and there was some really good acting, but overall I thought it got kind of silly. I was really into it for the first half or so, but that psycho killer drug dude was kind of a joke to me (nice haircut, though) , couldn't really take him seriously. Or maybe I wasn't supposed to? I dunno, weird.

I guess I musy be really

I kinda agree in the sense that I don't think his performance or the character are nearly as compelling as Brolin's and to some extent TLJ's. He's a crazy and has a strange morality but he's not filled out enough to really get under the skin the way Brolin's Llewellyn does.

• IMO not quite a return to the Coen Bros' glory days, but it's more like, say, Blood Simple or Miller's Crossing than anything they've done in years.

those two movies you mentioned to me are the epitome of coen bros' glory days.

although I'm still waiting for the Jesus spin off. The Passion of the Jesus

• i'm pretty sure the article implied the story was planned to be set 2007-ish. only after the alleged brolin mix-up did they decide to set it in the early 80's to make the age work. the article also claims shia labeoufu was cast for tommy lee jones part, making me think even more this is all a put-on.

right. so as if we didn't already know the article is COMPLETE crap, they allege that the Coens reworked the ENTIRE movie (sets, characters, props, costumes) to conform to the alleged casting "mix up."

there is simply no way that story is true.

• Well, that's show business. You roll with the punches. You make it work. How could Josh Brolin plausibly be a Vietnam vet? Simple: set the story in 1980 instead of the present day. A quick huddle with production designer Jess Gonchor and, bingo, we're a period picture. An offer goes out to Shia LaBeouf to replace Tommy Lee Jones as Brolin's (now young) counterpart. Shia passes, okay, we stick with Tommy Lee, and we make the best of a big age difference. You make it work.

Turns out the Brolin kid is not bad. Still, Jim Brolin. It could have been great.

If you watch Charlie Rose with the Coen bros and the cast (posted earlier in the thread) they discuss the casting and don't mention any of this.

• psycho killer drug dude

plaese to cite the drug-related aspects of dude's character.

You're right, he wasn't a drug dealer.. But I assumed he was some kind of drug kingpin's henchman or something. Am I wrong? Did I just not get this movie at all? Maybe I need to see it again. But I really did think that character was kind of ridiculous.

• Did I just not get this movie at all?

no you didn't.

Maybe I need to see it again.

yes you do.

But I really did think that character was kind of ridiculous.

he sorta was on a certain level.

• Ok, I'm gonna read the book and see it again.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think it's interesting that Soulstrut of all places would be into such well made minimalist suspense/western movie. I didn't read the book, or anything about the movie. Only going into it knowing Tommy Lee Jones was in it, and Bardem who I've seen in El Mar Adentro, and Goya's Ghost. I'm not even big on the Coens, though I thought Fargo was ok, and Ladykillers was shit. After you meet the main characters I definitely felt like I was going to get something similar to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't turn into another boring hollywood cartoon flick.

Brolins performance was excellent, and my girlfriend was real shocked that this was the kid from the Goonies, and the lame Doctor from Grindhouse. Bardem is a talented actor, and what a brilliant performance. He had the menace that most horror figures always lack. It was reminiscent of Darth Vader, even Hannibal. Amazing. Tommy Lee Jones role was not only poignant but also poetic. He's given so many brilliant performances that this role just fits him like a glove. Brilliant casting overall.

The one moment I felt that I was taken into a different movie was the scene with Woody Harrelson and Stephen root. It was good to get some closure on that scene.

After the scene with the Sherrif coming close to Anton I knew where it was headed, and anticipated the ending not being Hollywood. Most of the people who came with me weren't following the Sheriffs character fully, and felt shocked by the ending. I'm just glad it didn't end in a steven spielberg manner.

( NO COUNTRY remindS me of the short story, "death and the compass," by jorge luis borges.)

Woah, I'm glad somebody else thought this.. Lonnrot and Scharlach definitely crossed my mind. Good observation.

- spidey

• Did he kill the wife?

********SPOILER****************

Yes.
    What makes you think so?

this movie was pretty predictable & very boring...

what is an unpredictable and exiting movie to you?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think it's possible to put a suppressor on a shotgun but it's not something you see everyday. And it probably wouldn't be as quiet as Anton's weapon is (but hey, that's Hollywood).

yo you should stick to speaking on shit you know about...

Speak on it then.

• Did he kill the wife?

********SPOILER****************

Yes.
    What makes you think so?

this movie was pretty predictable & very boring...

what is an unpredictable and exiting movie to you?

Uhhh, yeah... where is this magical vault of incredibly well-crafted cinema that has somehow eluded all of us... do tell.... and don't come back with some American Me... Boulevard Nights crap... por favor...

• I just saw this a few days ago and was pretty blown away. I distinctly avoided reading this thread to sidestep any spoilers or to be swayed by someone else's take on the story and its meaning. A lot of the points on here were interesting and the review by Rosenbaum or whatever was a bit off the mark and more leaning towards some kind of personal soapbox type shit. There is a compelling argument that hints of post vietnam desensitivity. Like the scene where Moss is questioned by the inflexible athority of the border guard and is granted access only after revealing his Vet status. Other than that, I don't see the point made about onscreen killers and how they tie in during wartime. To me, that's a long reach in the dark for something that is not there.

In my opinion, Tommy Lee Jones character was the pivotal role here. His dream revelation at the end explains a lot. Bardem is always great and kills it (no pun) in this masterful performance. His character is so devoid of remorse or feeling that one would think of him s almost robotic or an evil spectral presence. However, the fact that he succumbs to pain and gets injured makes him come across as less symbolic and more like a human killing machine that lives by his own twisted moral code (pay attention to the number of times the phrase "you don't have to do this" is uttered). Also, the fact that he manages to elude the long arm of the law gives credence to the title of the film. Not to mention the "awww shucks, apple pie, small town Americana" type characters that provide a stark contrast to the killer and make you further realize the intention of the film's title. I haven't read the book it's been adapted from, so I may be missing many of the subtle nuances that are invariably lost in the book/film translation.

The demise of Moss is definitely the type of anti-hollywood scene that can easily deflate the viewer's interest if they fail to pay attention to what happens afterward. I thought this film was pretty brilliant.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    wow, wicked movie. excellent discussion of it too!

it was funny how just to get the pharmaceudicals he figured he had to blow up a car to create a diversion. he also reminded me of stuart from mad tv