Sly & Robbie question for the pros

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Two of the coolest 80's Sly & Robbie instrumentals I have are Triplet and their take on Billie Jean. Was there ever vocal versions of either one?Triplet:Billie Jean:

Comments

• Pretty sure there are not. That first one is a medley. A lot of their riddims did have vocal counterparts on Taxi 7"s, but they made a few inst. LPs in that era.

I'm ok w/ these two, but I run from the room if I hear their versions of "Peter Gunn" or "The Entertainer".

Yikes.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Can't add any knowledge on these ones (paging Bassie?) but I did want to thank you for sharing the tunes.

• What album is that billy jean dub off of? I need to go see if I have that somewhere. Good choices.

• This is what I have, i think it might be the only release.

• I got that triplet joint but I never heard their Billy Jean version..Dope,thanks.I think the album of theirs that has triplet on it also has a real nice version of Baltimore..

• real nice version of Baltimore..

Love that tune. These two tracks are alright, but they don't really highlight what I think sly & robbie do best.

• Grace Jones instrumentals

Black Uhuru Dub Factor lp

and a cosign on Randy Newman's Baltimore- should have been the theme to The Wire??

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    BJ is on Taxi Sounds "LP" and an anniversary 12" which includes Triplet.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    to be honest, I like these guys as musicians and producers for others much more than what they've done on their own records. the list of the records they appear on is bonkers - solid.

• the list of the records they appear on is bonkers - solid.

very true.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    the list of the records they appear on is bonkers - solid.

very true.

the story of their session with James Brown is bonkers !