Verizon's answer to the iPhone?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
???Touch Screen???Mobile TV???HTML Web Browser (on VZW's high speed EVDO network)???GPS Navigator???Full QWERTY Keyboard???Music Player (MP3, AAC, etc - you can also download music anywhere)???2 Megapixel camera???Camcorder???Up to 8 GB of microSDHC storage???Bluetooth Wireless sync & printing (?)Sounds pretty good to me considering I'm still on Verizon and have heard mixed reviews of the iPhone.Somewhat biased comparison here:http://comparati.com/890-LG-Voyager-vs-iPhone And a Quick start guide with more info.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    $299 with a 2 year contract. They're taking pre-orders now and the phone is scheduled to drop on the 21st.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i didn't really look too well but it seems like verizon's cheapest data plan is $79.99 a month. is that for real? definite dealbreaker for me right there

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yeah that price is bullshit, but I don't even use their data plan. They have a $5 a month plan for just straight up internet that uses your minutes and is free on the weekends. I don't know if you'll need it for this though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all i did was try to purchase the phone and select from those plans so i might have missed something. if that's all they have as far as plans go for that phone, there's no way i could fuck with it. $79.99 with only 450 minutes is

feature-wise, the phone looks good. if i decided on verizon for a provider, i would consider this phone. i would definitely want to check it out in person to see how it feels and the interface. if the interface for this phone sucks, then you don't have much of a phone.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    $299 with a 2 year contract. They're taking pre-orders now and the phone is scheduled to drop on the 21st.

This will hurt Apple a little, despite the ripped-off touch-screen interface. This is looking like the everyman's iPod, angled to hit the growing "Apple=elitist" crowd. Jobs & Co. really need to stop the overcharging & purposeful limits on their own technology, and that (3 year? 5 year? more?) AT&T contract is probably looking like a pair of cement shoes right now.

That comparo is really very silly, though.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    purposeful limits on their own technology
    development kits for the iphone are going out in february i believe which would begin development for third party apps.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This will hurt Apple a little, despite the ripped-off touch-screen interface. This is looking like the everyman's iPod, angled to hit the growing "Apple=elitist" crowd. Jobs & Co. really need to stop the overcharging & purposeful limits on their own technology, and that (3 year? 5 year? more?) AT&T contract is probably looking like a pair of cement shoes right now.

That comparo is really very silly, though.

Yeah, that comparison is pretty lame, but it does breakdown the features which is why I posted it up.

It's an obvious copy of the iPhone layout, but I think LG actually were the first to use touch screen technology with their Prada phone.

Taken from wiki for what it's worth:

LG Electronics has claimed the iPhone's design was copied from the LG Prada. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference, ???We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006.???

LG later claimed that Apple stole both the ideas and concept of the Prada phone. A lawsuit by LG had been rumored prior to this announcement; however, LG has remained silent on whether or not they will file a lawsuit.

Either way, I'm just glad to see an alternative that's on my carrier

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    development kits for the iphone are going out in february i believe which would begin development for third party apps.

I think that I read that on macrumors.com. That would certainly mean something, but one of Apple's biggest problems now and in the future is that although their product rollouts work well in a vacuum, their biggest supporters (esp. Google) will soon have their own all-in-one phones rolling out with proprietary technology.

This competition will mean good things for prices, though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Taken from wiki for what it's worth:

LG Electronics has claimed the iPhone's design was copied from the LG Prada. Woo-Young Kwak, head of LG Mobile Handset R&D Center, said at a press conference, ???We consider that Apple copied the Prada phone after the design was unveiled when it was presented in the iF Design Award and won the prize in September 2006.???

LG later claimed that Apple stole both the ideas and concept of the Prada phone. A lawsuit by LG had been rumored prior to this announcement; however, LG has remained silent on whether or not they will file a lawsuit.

Hah. Now there's a suit that will go nowhere.

You're damn right about Verizon, though. If Apple had worked out a deal with V (the first company they went to with the iPhone), then they'd have shit on lock. Now we know why Verizon may have wanted to think twice about a prospective partnership with Apple.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    The Voyager has vibe touch for tactile feedback.

i'm not sure what the fuck this means, but it sounds fresh and slightly sexual.

The LG Voyager is "The Verizon Stallion."

saucy!

The Voyager is amazing and it has has two screends, the second of which is very thick and the other of which is inside the flib (making it protected).

?? i'm pretty sure that king moist's screend is inside his flib too. i mean...just based off of what rawshawg shared tolded me. he never lies.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

?? i'm pretty sure that king moist's screend is inside his flib too. i mean...just based off of what rawshawg shared tolded me. he never lies.

Stop dude you almost made makers mark splash out my face

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    here's some kinda confusing info on the pricing for data and voice calls:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1254614

Looks like Verizon is trying to force people to get that vcast ish.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    just saying, day. those two are tight! you ever notice how much moist references rawsseses' work out regimen? he's always like, "ross' work out routine really makes me sweat!"

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    No doubt. He's always calling me saying how "jacked" Ross is and how it makes him "pumped" to "get on his level". If he asks if you need a spotter, just say no.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    hahaha!

on a way side note (and not to thread jack any further), but i met with this organizer of the treasure island triathlon on friday and he was this 75 year old weathered dude from the south bronx who was trying to get me to allow the swim portion of the triathlon despite the oil everywhere in the bay. i was shutting him down on all fronts and then he pulled the "do you know that i'm really good friends with jack lalanne? my wife and i are always hanging out at his house." i wanted to ask him about jim carey's impression of him on in living color.

"sip the juice!!"

• just saying, day. those two are tight! you ever notice how much moist references rawsseses' work out regimen? he's always like, "ross' work out routine really makes me sweat!"

how has my dick been tasting these past few days, jughead?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    How about that phone tho!

• cascas 1,484 Posts

how has my dick been tasting these past few days, jughead?

how SPICY!

i take it ross has been helping you step up your shit talking muscles too, huh?

![/b]

• Options

The LG Voyager is "The Verizon Stallion."

saucy!

They gave my nickname away already? That's fucked up.

• I am being eefered in a thread about a phone.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

It will--it could even mean Java for the iPhone.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Only on Soulstrut could a Verizon phone thread involve Richard Simmons, Jack Lalane and jokes about someone's sexuality.

I really want to know if the data plan is mandatory for internet service since they're doing away with the mobile web I currently use now. Is anybody on VZW's data plan? I'm curious to know what folks opinion is on it. I think it's just too much $ for me. If I was working a corporate job or was running my own business I could see why, but I don't really have a need for it outside of web browsing and basic email.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    if you have a smartphone (i have a motorola q), verizon makes it mandatory to have a data package. The data package i have is the most expensive (an additional 40 a month), but is for unlimited data transfers. So i would imagine verizon would make it mandatory on this phone. Basically if you have a smartphone, you have to have a data package, even if you say you dont want internet access. I believe the cheapest data package runs about 20 or so a month.

verizon is expensive plan wise, i pay about 120-130 a month for my cell phone. But their service (in regards to reception) has always been very good to me, which is why i dont leave.