Music Intervention

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
So I got a neighbor downstairs who enjoys the ruggedness of "The Way I Are" by Timbaland. He plays it on average of 4 times a week so I can hear the lame disco basslines in this song a lot. I'm tempted to tell him unless he's a 21 yo white girl getting ready to go to the club, he shouldn't be playing this. As well as the fact it's wack and old. Am I being a dick? Does this song bring it and I just don't know?

Comments

• I kinda liked that song. But yeah, it is corny and a bit old by now.

• When people ask me why i'm such a music nazi I just tell them it's because I have good taste.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Am I being a dick?
    Not at all. Just blast whatever you're into.

• I kinda liked that song. But yeah, it is corny and a bit old by now.

once again, I ask, why is the shelf life so short for "clurb" music? I dont understand liking some music, then not liking it because it is "old by now"...doesnt that mean it was shit to begin with? How does and song go from good to bad from just the passing of time? I dont get it.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I WOULD RETALIATE BY BLASTING THINK PINK TWINK[WHICH I KNOW YOU MADE A BURNER OF BEFORE YOU LET IT SLIDE] EVERYDAY ON 11 WITH THE SPEAKERS POINTED DOWNWARD TOWARDS THE TASTELESS FOLL-SCHOOL THAT CHILD

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I WOULD RETALIATE BY BLASTING THINK PINK TWINK[WHICH I KNOW YOU MADE A BURNER OF BEFORE YOU LET IT SLIDE] EVERYDAY ON 11 WITH THE SPEAKERS POINTED DOWNWARD TOWARDS THE TASTELESS FOLL-SCHOOL THAT CHILD

"10,000 Voices In A Cardboard Box"

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

"10,000 Voices In A Cardboard Box"

sayin

wassup rocky?

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

and make sure T-Bass is switched on

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Does this song bring it?

• So I got a neighbor downstairs who enjoys the ruggedness of "The Way I Are" by Timbaland. He plays it on average of 4 times a week so I can hear the lame disco basslines in this song a lot. I'm tempted to tell him unless he's a 21 yo white girl getting ready to go to the club, he shouldn't be playing this. As well as the fact it's wack and old. Am I being a dick? Does this song bring it and I just don't know?

Look at the bright side. He could be rockin' reggatron.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I kinda liked that song. But yeah, it is corny and a bit old by now.

once again, I ask, why is the shelf life so short for "clurb" music? I dont understand liking some music, then not liking it because it is "old by now"...doesnt that mean it was shit to begin with? How does and song go from good to bad from just the passing of time? I dont get it.

You should be questioning the mentality of the people that make statements like this, rather than the music itself--that song was good six months ago, and it's good now.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

You should be questioning the mentality of the people that make statements like this, rather than the music itself--that song was good six months ago, and it's good now.

No. It was garbage then, and it's garbage now. More than anything else, to me, that song is music for girls (and no, I'm not questioning anyone's manhood). Regardless of what the trendsetteur has to say, it ain't good.

The more interesting question is, why is club music so disposable? I equate this song to an aural USA Today, use for a quick need of some sort, then dispose of for something newer and/or better.

No. It was garbage then, and it's garbage now. More than anything else, to me, that song is music for girls

That's only a condemnation if you think women have fundamentally worse taste in music than men--which I don't.

I like girls and I guess I like music for girls.

Thinking music is garbage and music being girlie are 2 separate notions which I did not combine together. I think just as many girls have good and bad taste in music as guys do.

surely that statement isn't questioning the music, it is questioning the people who like and then don't like, just as you suggest.

Well, re-read my post: I didn't speculate on which of the two questions he was asking, although I will now say that based on his previous posts, I would guess it to be the former.

Thinking music is garbage and music being girlie are 2 separate notions which I did not combine together. I think just as many girls have good and bad taste in music as guys do.

And the ones with good taste are the ones that listen to manly music?

• I don't hate the song, but apart from some catchy production tricks (from danjahands?) it doesn't actually say much. "The Way I Are" probably won't be remembered for it's deep story or anything.

Why is club music disposable? I think because it's made to be consumed straight away, rather than being digested. If you design something to get big reactions the first time someone hears something, you can't expect them to do much once they've heard it a 1000 times. Maybe you could burn him some cd's and suggest he bumps them?

And the ones with good taste are the ones that listen to manly music?

D*nny, you can't be this bored.