ANYONE

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Herb Bernstein record

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Drums N' Tuba?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Drums N' Tuba?
    Careful, that might be too 'out there' for some nancy pants on here. I've seen them live a bunch of times and had great pleasures. I haven't enjoyed any of their recordings.

My pick might be for Lubomyr Melnyk's Voice of Trees.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

"Song Sung Long" Ummmm...that's all I got.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Drums N' Tuba?
    Careful, that might be too 'out there' for some nancy pants on here. I've seen them live a bunch of times and had great pleasures. I haven't enjoyed any of their recordings.

My pick might be for Lubomyr Melnyk's Voice of Trees.

I have some 45 by them that might be up alot of soulstrut folks alley...Live is just something that has to be seen.

lots of breaks and funk on that 45 so I think soulstrut would approve

• rookrook 357 Posts
    try tepid urbie green ala cti

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• Tuba funk is tough. Can think of more than a few funky trombonists, but tuba??

• I heard a guy do 'Ring of Fire,' with nothing but himself singing on guitar, and a tuba on accompaniment. Shit was incredible...

• yes, cosign on that dude...

also, urbie green is a trombone player and despite cutting a grip of weak commercial outings he was a fine player. check out his work on the early 70's jobim albums.

• I saw a hiphop group w/ a tuba player a while ago. I think they were called 2Bass3? Comin straight outta Norman, OK...

• Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - get familiar

although, technically I think it's a baritone in this video.

http://hypnoticbrass.blogspot.com/

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - get familiar

although, technically I think it's a baritone in this video.

http://hypnoticbrass.blogspot.com/

Damn, that was kinda DOPE.

• chrischris 287 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There's an alternative version on the SuperFly song, on the Deluxe Soundtrack CD. Horns and I think a Tuba is added to the mix during the chorus.

• you beat me to it...I like how on the 45s from that LP he is listed as 'Spare ribs' Draper

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Herb Bernstein record
    Yup.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I can't think of any not mentioned already, but funk songs that use "unconventional" instruments like the bassoon (a la Roy Budd) are cool

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Most of the stage band comps (Schoolhouse Funk I & II, Kashmere) have some sort of contribution from the big boys of brass.

But some might actually be Souzaphones. Don't take that risk! Consult your liner notes first.

• the Hot 8 Brass Band? Looks like a tuba in there ..

Tru thoughts have just re-released their version of 'sexual healing' - you can hear a snippett here - as they say, dumb hot

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Sousaphone[/b]

Tuba[/b]

Let's not get confused y'all...

• Didn't that Patchwork Library . . . 49, I think, have some shit?

• Oren Marshall plays mad funky

peep the link: http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=21268

oh yeah, and Bob Stewart kills it