Weekend Finds

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Did see one of these started yet............May Blitz - S/T on Paramount....does this go for as much as the Vertigo pressing????Twilight 22 - S/TThe Now Generation - Come Together and Hits Are Our BusinessRob Crosby - S/TCecil Taylor - The Jazz Composer's Orchestra.....anyone know about this????MC Cool Rock and MC CHaszy CHess - Boot The Booty (????)BOA - SchizoidJimmy Walker - DynomiteLether Angel - We Came to KillWarfare - Total DeathMichael Stanley - Friends and LegendsKing RIchard Flugel Knights - Just Some of Those Songs...I DOn't Care - Ask AnyoneWestern Vacation - S/T ......70's freak band guys with a funny sticker on the front that says "Caution one of these songs contains the F word but I think you've heard it before" (?????)Bunch of misc 90's hip hop singles

Comments

• Cecil Taylor - The Jazz Composer's Orchestra.....anyone know about this????

yes.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Cecil Taylor - The Jazz Composer's Orchestra.....anyone know about this????

yes.

HA! I'm assuming it's good, but I'm on vacation for 3 more days so i won't have a chance to hear it. Price Check???

• I like it...I think I usually see it in the $25-$40 range, but it's one I rarely see non-wrecked.

• May Blitz - S/T on Paramount....does this go for as much as the Vertigo pressing????

no

• BLAOW!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Love that Monk Montgomery LP.....Fuzz Bass Monster!!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    some pretty cool pics .....still need that art ensemble

my shit for today went straight out the bag and splash onto the floor

yeah i know its a mess, sorry!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Nothing much to report from here this week, I have been just listening to the huge backlog of stuff that I've bought & not listened to yet. Did get 2 45s though. The Zombies 'Time Of The Season' on Date & The Standells 'Dirty Water' on Tower, a couple of long time wants both in the same day, so that was cool. I'm also trying out buying some stuff off ebay for the first time ever since I have some paypal balance from ebaying those Board Of Directors 12"s the other week. Feels a bit odd being a buyer instead of a seller for once.

• a crispy NZ pressing ::

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I found a Big L "Devil's Son" 12" at the Salvation Army down the block from me. I've been stopping in there sporadically for more than half a decade--not because I have ever had any reason to believe that I would find anything good there--but out of fear that someone else would. I think this is the first time I haven't left empty-handed.

a crispy NZ pressing ::

Ooh, that's a goodie. Sounds the same as my copy, it took me about 6 months to get around to listening to it, but once I did.... so good. Real Groovy has one in the bins for $15 with a sizeable & probably unplayable heat warp.

going through these finds and i was sorta wondering if this acetate ever was released as an album, anybody know bout this dude? discography? (yuz i tried google)

a crispy NZ pressing ::

Ooh, that's a goodie. Sounds the same as my copy, it took me about 6 months to get around to listening to it, but once I did.... so good. Real Groovy has one in the bins for $15 with a sizeable & probably unplayable heat warp.

if anyone needs this i have a clean orig for trade

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Art Reynolds LP's have been plentiful this week

Modern soul pickups

Both the Mel & Tim and Eddie Gale were a longtime wants. I'm happy I can finally listen to more than just the MP3's now

Dolly Parton's 1st LP. That Roy Orbison is pure bliss

• damn, aint dolly strait>

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

They've been stuck in a certain LA store for months

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

They've been stuck in a certain LA store for months

thats where 2/3rds of the ones I got came from (the other came from a private dealer). Sealed and not too bad a price I had to indulge.

The LMI one was a dissapointment but "It's A Wonderful World" one more than makes up for it.

First (and probably last) trip in there for months. Really not one of those spots you need to check that often

How does that Eddie Gale compare to 'Black Rhythm Happening'??

• Insane Atlanta-based, McDonald's-sponsored various indie artists comp from 1983 doing some of the rawest boogie cuts never heard. I am serious. There is very real heat all across this record. I will try to post some clips tonight along with other finds.

• Was that dude Anthony Lockett (On the McTrax Album) in the band Slave?

• How does that Eddie Gale compare to 'Black Rhythm Happening'??

personally i prefer Ghetto Music to BRH

• Was that dude Anthony Lockett (On the McTrax Album) in the band Slave?
    His blurb on the back only mentions that he played (in '83) with a band called Charisma "at local Atlanta hotspots." Discogs shows an Anthony Lockett in Cameo from 78-82, and they did release a lot of their later stuff on Atlanta Artists. So there may be a connection there. May have also produced the Wynd Chymes "Arrival" LP on RCA.

• The Lockett in Slave was apparently Tom Lockett. Wouldn't be surprised if he was somehow related to Anthony...

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Tom+Lockett

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How does that Eddie Gale compare to 'Black Rhythm Happening'??

personally i prefer Ghetto Music to BRH

For me it changes on any given day. Ghetto Music defitenly has the better cover art though

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• Either thats the biggest guitar I've seen in my life, or the smallest guitar player.

• Either thats the biggest guitar I've seen in my life, or the smallest guitar player.

What have they done to this pic? I like the head to hand ratio... looks like Wes Montgomery and lobster spawned this love child.

Finds from last few weeks - this weekend I was tied up trying stop our 5 week old boy from screaming down the neighbourhood... sheez, when wikll thi little milk vampire sleep?

Had some decent real world pulls and mail box finds, inc...

The Adventurers, The Ray Brown Orchestra (Symbolic LP)[/b]... have had Fat Cat Strut on a mix for agesa, so nice to have this in my hands. It turned up in a courier package alongside a bunch of other 2nd hand bits at Northside (Melb) as I was walking out (Good timing) and Chris coughed it up for a good price (Cheers).

?????, Curtis Knight (RCA Australia LP)[/b]... doesn't actually have a title on it, shopuld have posted a pic but the cover is cool. Tracks inc Other People Business, Sugar and Spice. Some nice drums in there too.

Nobody, Hodges James Smith & Crawford (Mpingo 7")[/b]... finally got a decent copy for a decent price from the UK.

Snake Pit, Gunga Din (Valise)[/b]... fruity funk! Dig the intro.

Super Good, Vicki Anderson (People)[/b]... late pass, only just found out about this - wish there were more JB aligned sides with the funk + fuzz guitar combo - grabbed it cheap in a Wellington 2nd hand spot the other day. (thank god work flies me round so much... get to dig outside of the home city a couple times a month).

Also picked up a couple of Truth & Soul 7s while there - The Expressions These Moments / Cash Is King (which has only just made it down to NZ?! Or atleast I missed it first time round) and the new Bronx Pkwy joint which is sure fire killer... T&S are probably my favourite modern label at present, all quality.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, Rock - those are some rare-ass King/Federal titles!! They look like
    they're in beautiful condition, too!

I just got the Ricky Allen on Bright Star at FMU last week -
    (prefer the vocal flip) I was really feeling this, as the Monk
    Higgins production sounds very much like the records he cut for
    Johnny Sayles on One-Der-Ful ... I've since seen that Allen has
    a TON of singles on Bright Star, and they tend to be cheap - anyone
    know if they are mostly Monk Higgins productions and have this same
    sound? I will be copping by the handful, if so ...

• going through these finds and i was sorta wondering if this acetate ever was released as an album, anybody know bout this dude? discography? (yuz i tried google)

Barbour had a minor hit single in 1969 with "Echo Park" (a four-minute spiel that sounded like somebody's answer to "MacArthur Park"). He also had an album on Epic, titled after his hit.

Sure enough, after messing around on the Net, turns out Collectables has a Keith Barbour reissue. But only one of the songs ("Sweet Mary Sunday") shown on the record label shot appear on the CD.