My Cherie Amour

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I'm listening to the S.O.U.L. cover of this and thinking that it's better than the OG. Plus it's : at the end. Anyone else have covers of this to recommend?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    AND, on the next track, "Love, Peace, and Power", the opening sounds just like "Ain't No Sunshine", yes? It's so similar yet not really a cover.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm listening to the S.O.U.L. cover of this and thinking that it's better than the OG. Plus it's : at the end. Anyone else have covers of this to recommend?

I collect covers of this song

Roland Kirk
    Quincy Jones
    Cal Tjader
    Ramsey Lewis
    Nenna Freelon

Im not at home to drop my list.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    On a side note in Almost Famous I loved how this was being played when Kate Hudson was having to get her stomach pumped. It was the perfect song to play when the boy saw her character fall from grace.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

one of my favorite summer songs...but the OG remains the best

• the harry j all stars have a decent version of my cherie amour. it's flip to "Liquidator" 7" (trojan issue) from 1969.

• i like orquesta novel version : eazy-cheezy latin disco with a lot of percussion heavy "bboy" disco breaks

its easily available on us version of "cocktail disco" comp

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    the harry j all stars have a decent version of my cherie amour. it's flip to "Liquidator" 7" (trojan issue) from 1969.

This is what's up. Thank you for the

Rhythm Heritage - Disco-Fied have a very good version.
    Some ole coolin at the coke-ed out 70's pool party steez.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I love me some stevie covers. However, I think, I'm just partial to the OG of My Cherie Amour though. It's definitely an untouchable song for me.

Is Bobbito finished with his Wonder of Stevie series?

- spidey

• the harry j all stars have a decent version of my cherie amour. it's flip to "Liquidator" 7" (trojan issue) from 1969.

I THOUGHT YOU HATED REGGAE SOUL COVERS, DOGGIE

• Charles Earland does a very nice cover on the flip of 'Yes-Suh!"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Isnt there a version of this on The Elctric Indian KEMOSABEE lp?
    I recall it being pretty

This is what's up. Thank you for the

my pleasure dude, the uk trojan 7" is all over ebay on any given day.

the harry j all stars have a decent version of my cherie amour. it's flip to "Liquidator" 7" (trojan issue) from 1969.

I THOUGHT YOU HATED REGGAE SOUL COVERS, DOGGIE

(p.s - shots out to that firme dude for the above image, this'll come in handy often.)

• IF it would please the court, allow me to introduce exhibit A

personally i think most reggae soul covers are weak (with the exceptional handful) and mostly embraced by funk sample hip hop herbs.

I have no further questions.

• personally i think most reggae soul covers are weak (with the exceptional handful[/b] )

nice one dude, almost perfect.

for some reason i am under the impression that you have a man crush on me my dude, and that is okay.

• personally i think most reggae soul covers are weak (with the exceptional handful[/b] )

for some reason i am under the impression that you have a man crush on me my dude, and that is okay.
    [/b]

Excuse Me, do you mind? I'm on the phone. I just came up on a truk load of Soundboy Burial Compilation$[/b]. I'm going to sell them and from said sale I plan on refurbishing my Yacht, these Connecticut winters can be quite the dickens. You will be my butler/man-servant, whatever you make now...I'll doubletriple it. Good help is hard to find but great help is worth every penny.

I'll have my para-legal/underling , Sleuther Vandross, continue with the case.

I am glad you are game for my man-crush, you look dashing....dare I say, comely in your black sweater and suspenders.

The courting shall commence.......

[/b]

Excuse Me, do you mind? I'm on the phone. I just came up on a truk load of Soundboy Burial Compilation$[/b]. I'm going to sell them and from said sale I plan on refurbishing my Yacht, these Connecticut winters can be quite the dickens. You will be my butler/man-servant, whatever you make now...I'll doubletriple it. Good help is hard to find but great help is worth every penny.

I'll have my para-legal/underling , Sleuther Vandross, continue with the case.

I am glad you are game for my man-crush, you look dashing....dare I say, comely in your black sweater and suspenders.

The courting shall commence.......

• This cover photo always cracked me up. Stevie in what looks like some fancy Italian restaurant, probably crooning the title track for these stiff-looking white folks in the background. (Doesn't even look like he was in the same room, they probably just superimposed his image on top of some other picture.) I think he was starting to play showrooms and swanky nightspots around that time, and I guess this album cover kinda emphasizes that. And to think he was just two years away from getting a synthesizer, going "progressive" and recording Where I'm Coming From...

• this thread is like WOW for me right now

I saw Stevie last night and it was incredible, he played this song and so many other great ones.

ever since the concert I feel like I'm glowing. I shed plenty of tears of happiness during the show

This morning i woke up with Stevie songs running thru my head. 'My Cherie Amour' began to dominate and I've been singing it constantly all morning. So i get to work and here's this thread :happiness: :swoon:

at the show Stevie let the crowd carry a lot of the tune for this one. It was so much fun singing this at the top of my lungs last night along with the rest of the arena. so much fun.

thanks soulstrut.

Jon Lucien has a decent version

And if u really wanna get "deep" -

Remember the SNL skit where Stevie & Eddie sing the song. Stevie fakes like he cant sing it and then Eddie Murphy does his best "Stevie" rendition. So Stevie says " Oh I get it, like this......"

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The Larks' version off of Soul Kaleidoscope. Don Julian doesn't deviate too much from the original, but it's still a good one from a great LP. I cosine with the Electric Indian version.

• . I shed plenty of tears of happiness during the show

Yeah I cried a few times to. It was a religious-like experience. Do search a check Big Chan's experience.

• gotta love hippie ballerinas.

• . I shed plenty of tears of happiness during the show

Yeah I cried a few times to. It was a religious-like experience. Do search a check Big Chan's experience.

glad to hear this, so i don't feel like so much of a weirdo (but then again fuck it, no shame here) cosine on the spirituality of the whole thing

I been checked Big Chan's post, complete with his picture taken with The Master

i ride for Jon Lucien's version of this song

Out of the 3 biggest influences on my life, Stevie is the only one still living. He really sounds as good as ever. The only rap you could put on him is that he doesn't have new material, but they guy's a genius and a treasure.
    Still glowing over here from 2 nights ago

How can i forget my favorite version from this album......

Jermaine's rendition is killin this shit.

• I have a HUGE favor to ask my fellow 'Strutters. Can you post some versions of this for me? I have a coworker named Cheri who I've nicknamed Cheri Amor and I want to put together a CD as a going-away gift for her.

It's rather time sensitive and unfortunately I don't have time to search/rip/burn any myself.

Anything you can post will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    'My Cherie Amour'

Probably my favorite (or definitely top 3) songs from him. Nothing has ever come close to the original IMO. One of the greatest of all time.

Nenna Freelon

Excellent Live Pop Jazz vocal version on here....dont sleep.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    To me, the Ramsey Lewis one is ill... Instrumental, with nice change-ups, strong bass and tight drums... I'll be the first to say I prefer this over the OG