Fairport Convention yay or nay?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
i say yay. i Frickin' love Sandy Denny

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I ride up through Full House.

The first Sandy Denny solo and the Fotheringnay(SP?) records are also great.

(I was hoping for a Pentangle vs Fairport thread.)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A firm sorta.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Major yay. Sandy Denny kicks the asses of any of her U.S. folklady counterparts, in my book.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A firm sorta.

here here.

I dig their Dylan renditions, and I would rather hear them do Leonard Cohen than hafta listen to Leonard Cohen do himself. (I don't know that that came out right...)

• Shit yeah. But I ride for Pentangle big time.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I also ride HARD for these dudes and Pentangle, and most of the solo efforts too. Was just listening to Richard and Linda - Shoot Out the Lights last night. Have you heard the 4 disc Sandy Denny anthology yet??? She died from complications from FALLING DOWN THE STAIRS.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Shit yeah. But I ride for Pentangle big time.

Same here.

There is quite a bit of good Richard Thompson solo stuff, i haven't nearly as much as i'd like to, but i figure it's not going anywhere so i am taking it as it comes.

Man. I've tried that Richard solo and Richard and Linda stuff. Not really feeling it. I've had Henry the Human Fly, Pour Down Like Silver, I Want to See Bright Lights and Shoot Out the Lights.

School me.

Man. I've tried that Richard solo and Richard and Linda stuff. Not really feeling it. I've had Henry the Human Fly, Pour Down Like Silver, I Want to See Bright Lights and Shoot Out the Lights.

School me.

Want to See Bright Lights and Shoot Out the Lights

2 great LPs here

Great, really? All I can remember is

Want to See Bright Lights > Shoot Out the Lights

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yay. Love Pentangle & Bert Jansch. I'm still in search of his first two albums on Transatlantic.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I like both as well. I have abuddy who is really into hima nd has some live tapes which are similar to the Small Town Romance album of course. I definitely prefer the more acoustic, earthy stuff especially for Linda Thompson's voice.

Tunes like Little Beggar Girl and such are what i like from them..traditional sounding, back and forth vocals. I don't care for Linda as much as you get further along in their releases, but those first few are cool.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Love the first three records or so and enjoy and odd track or two off of the subsequent releases, but find the majority of their material once they honed in on bucolic british folk very, very grating.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Incredible String Band > Fairport & Pentangle

• Yay. Love Pentangle & Bert Jansch.

me too and i'm glad he still tours

• Incredible String Band

Incredible String Band > Fairport & Pentangle

They fall off after about the same number of albums.

Do you ride for the Mike Heron solo jawn with the Who?

Great, really? All I can remember is

Want to See Bright Lights > Shoot Out the Lights

totally different vibes on each, I actually like the songs better on 'Shoot out', not as folky. I actually really dig Richard Thompson's guitar playing when he gets dissonant and noisy, he is a tremendously confident player who can really make some Frickin' noise when he wants. And the fact that their marriage is completely on the rocks during the recording makes for some pretty claustrophobic and dramatic moments on that record. 'Walking on a Wire'= bone chilling and pretty at the same time.

Yay. Love Pentangle & Bert Jansch.

Did you see him on the last go-round?

• Yay. Love Pentangle & Bert Jansch.

sadly no, i found out too late. did you?

Yay. Love Pentangle & Bert Jansch.

sadly no, i found out too late. did you?

Yes. Santa Cruz mountains at the weirdest and most unorganized venue ever. Some haunted inn. Opening acts were terrible, had to hold back laughter. He was amazing though, played a great mix of his own work and versions of traditional folk songs that my pops recognized and told me the history of afterwards. Played "Poison" at the end, which is a favorite of mine.

Straight up legend. Get acquainted if you aren't already peoples.

• Yes. Santa Cruz mountains at the weirdest and most unorganized venue ever. Some haunted inn. Opening acts were terrible, had to hold back laughter. He was amazing though, played a great mix of his own work and versions of traditional folk songs that my pops recognized and told me the history of afterwards. Played "Poison" at the end, which is a favorite of mine.

I'm jealous! sounds amazing. and "Poison" is hands down my favorite jansch song and a great choice for the encore

• I'm jealous! sounds amazing. and "Poison" is hands down my favorite jansch song and a great choice for the encore

Yeah, I love Bell Biv Devoe. R&B on a smoothed out hip hop tip....

• I ride up through Full House.

The first Sandy Denny solo and the Fotheringnay(SP?) records are also great.

(I was hoping for a Pentangle vs Fairport thread.)

• anyone here enough to hit up their yearly Cropredy Festival?
    http://www.fairportconvention.com/cropredy.php
    performed the entire Liege and Lief album this past summer....
    i have not, and probably wont,
    because i dont think i can justify the expense of flying to england to drink ale in a soggy field with reminiscing folkies, alright maybe i can, but probably still won't
    no

although will ride for FC up through full house, and 85% of Sandy's work incl solo and Fotheringay

• Wake Up John

• Also, couple of tracks I'm sure you all know - Richard Thompsons 'Vincent Black Lightning 1952' from Rumor & Sigh

And this one:

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    When I read this post title, I thought there was a record show in CT and I was like yay! But now I know it's about the group and I'm gonna have to say nay, but Pentangle is really good.