SGT Peppers - THE MOVIE

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I have never had a chance to see this until recently. Comcast is showing it on-demand in the FREE Movie section and I chose to see if it lived up to the hype as one of the biggest distaters on film... evar. Talk about a sacrilidge (sp?) to the Beatle legacy. Still.... I enjoyed it in a cult-classic kind of way.Discuss....

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I'm too scared to see that.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    As far as really bad movies go, it's semi-rad. I will watch just about anything starring the Bee Gees.

Peter Frampton as Billy Shears. lol

I DON'T FEEL LIKE YOU DO.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I watched it (at least the first 5 min) last year. I had to chuckle that this was the project that the Bee Gees decided to spend all of their Sat. Night Fever capital on. I would have paid a million dollars to have been in on that pitch meeting. Those poor execs were probably scratching their heads and nodding knowing that they couldn't risk pissing off the best selling group in the world at the time, wondering what kind of bath they were going to be taking on that terd.

Raj can you give us the plot line?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I watched it (at least the first 5 min) last year. I had to chuckle that this was the project that the Bee Gees decided to spend all of their Sat. Night Fever capital on. I would have paid a million dollars to have been in on that pitch meeting. Those poor execs were probably scratching their heads and nodding knowing that they couldn't risk pissing off the best selling group in the world at the time, wondering what kind of bath they were going to be taking on that terd.

Yet they still pressed about 115 BILLION copies of the soundtrack.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

There is no plot, seriously. Bee Gees and Frampton comprise 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band', their manager goes to the darkside and is seduced by the money of the music industry, Alice Cooper is a bad guy and does one of the few decent renditions of the film ('Because'), as do Aerosmith ('Come Together', also bad guys), and EWF ('Got To Get You Into My Life', GOOD guys). George Burns is Mr. Kite(good guy), and some chick who never did anything else, is Frampton's girlfriend, I think they call her Strawberry Fields(mass groan).

I must have seen this film 3-4 times in the theatres when I was a kid (same time frame as Grease, Hooper, Jaws 2,Hair, The Swarm, etc). I loved it then, but can't make it through even 10 minutes now. Sooooooo bad, but nostalgia is a bitch.

Oh yeah, Steve Martin as Maxwell (he of the silver hammer), also a bad guy.

There is no plot, seriously. Bee Gees and Frampton comprise 'Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band', their manager goes to the darkside and is seduced by the money of the music industry, Alice Cooper is a bad guy and does one of the few decent renditions of the film ('Because'), as do Aerosmith ('Come Together', also bad guys), and EWF ('Got To Get You Into My Life', GOOD guys). George Burns is Mr. Kite(good guy), and some chick who never did anything else, is Frampton's girlfriend, I think they call her Strawberry Fields(mass groan).

I must have seen this film 3-4 times in the theatres when I was a kid (same time frame as Grease, Hooper, Jaws 2,Hair, The Swarm, etc). I loved it then, but can't make it through even 10 minutes now. Sooooooo bad, but nostalgia is a bitch.

All of that sounds so retardedly delicious, but I still can't bring myself.

All of that sounds so retardedly delicious, but I still can't bring myself.

Maybe more deliciously retarded....but it seems for every over-the-top-Flash-Gordon-style-so-bad-its-awesome-moment, there is a lag in the pace, or a lull on Frampton's vacant, unable to act mug that it stops up like a constipated log. And the end, where every stray actor/celebrity/Hollywood Squares extra is roped into a chorus of 'Sgt. Pepper's', well, you'll be reaching something to end your misery (hopefully just the remote to turn it off). B-A-D.

I don't get anything about Peter Frampton. He sucks across the board. That Alive record that is so whatever. Fuck that. This, too, is coming from a serious classic rock dollarbin fetishist.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I don't get anything about Peter Frampton. He sucks across the board. That Alive record that is so whatever. Fuck that. This, too, is coming from a serious classic rock dollarbin fetishist.

The first couple of Humble Pie albums SHRED.

(although Steve Marriott is a big reason)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I like me some Frampton... but he looked sooo awkward on film.. Hardly the gigantor multi-platinum mega-perfromer he was made out to be in the 70s. I believe this film was his downfall.

I like some Humble Pie, and the guy can play guitar pretty damn good....but I pretty much agree. Pretty blah. He seems like he would be a great dude to hang out with and hear stories about his far more interesting friends, but I can't hang with his boring music.

The first couple of Humble Pie albums SHRED.

(although Steve Marriott is a big reason)

Oh, I holler at those Humble Pie terds, but all I hear is Marriot. What is Frampton doing? Packing bowls? Fuck him.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Biggest disappointment of the movie - NO TALK BOX SOLOS!

I need a 'Peter Frampton Shreds' video in my life.

Biggest disappointment of the movie - NO TALK BOX SOLOS!

I could swear George Burns takes a talk box solo halfway through 'When I'm 64'

ALL TOGETHER NOW!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

is hooper good?

is hooper good?

Better than Smokey and The Bandit IMO

Pure Burt Renyolds, although it would have been better if the Roscoe P Coltrane part had been played by Jerry Reed. But Burt + sally Field + Jan Michael Vincent= AWESOME BITCHENESS

• I watched it (at least the first 5 min) last year. I had to chuckle that this was the project that the Bee Gees decided to spend all of their Sat. Night Fever capital on. I would have paid a million dollars to have been in on that pitch meeting. Those poor execs were probably scratching their heads and nodding knowing that they couldn't risk pissing off the best selling group in the world at the time, wondering what kind of bath they were going to be taking on that terd.

Yet they still pressed about 115 BILLION copies of the soundtrack.

What's the saying, they shipped 1 million copies of the album, making it an instant platinum or double platinum album (since it was a double, it counts as two). The next week, 950,000 copies were returned. This is the primary reason why the album was always in cut-out bins at supermarkets for years. Before it found its way in the cut-out bin, my mom instead bought me the Pickwick version of the Sgt. Pepper soundtrack, as performed by someone other than The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton. If you think the soundtrack is bad, have it played by complete unknowns trying to sing like The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton trying to sing like The Beatles.

I think most people were happy with buying the 45's for EWF's "Got To Get You Into My Life" and Aerosmith's "Come Together". I had those long before I got the soundtrack, and by the time I did, it went for only $1.50. It was worth that much too.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

is hooper good?

Better than Smokey and The Bandit IMO

Pure Burt Renyolds, although it would have been better if the Roscoe P Coltrane part had been played by Jerry Reed. But Burt + sally Field + Jan Michael Vincent= AWESOME BITCHENESS

Saw it in the theater. Great Terry Bradshaw cameo. One of Burt's better films. Really captures the disco/urban cowboy era feeling well.