Being There

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
watched this movie after many years tonight and it was a real treat. it is perfect. any other 'being there' appreciators out there?if not, get familiar: http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/1053481/Being_There_1979_Peter_Sellers

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    watched this movie after many years tonight and it was a real treat.

it is perfect.

any other 'being there' appreciators out there?

All time fave.....the scene where he meets the young kids on the street and tries to make them "go away" with his TV remote is classic.

Chauncey Gardner would make a good candidate in '08!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have always wondered about the blaxploitation cartoon that is playing in limo ride at the start of the movie. Great, great film.

• good book also...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    good book also...

But different, right? It's told from Chance's perspective?

• WOAH, i have very vague memories of seeing this movie when it first hit HBO - probably 1980-81!!! thanks for the reminder, its now added to the queue.

added bonus - intergalactic funk band playing during the trailer!

• After hearing so much about it I was let down. I believe it's on Netflix's Watch Now.

• one of my favorite movies of all time. Peter Sellers was the man!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Great film. Saw this & "Network" back to back.

• it is perfect.

All time fave

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I have always wondered about the blaxploitation cartoon that is playing in limo ride at the start of the movie. Great, great film.

From memory it's a cartoon video of Cheech & Chong's Basketball Jones

Yeah love this movie and also Harold & Maude

That scene with the gang kids.. "Did Raphael send you here"?

• Love it.

One of the all time greats. It basically paved the way for Forest Gump.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Love it.

Please do not use the words Forrest Gump and Being There in the same sentence.

Thanks for the heads up on Basketball Jones. Wow never heard of that before. Looked it up on Youtube. Kinda ill.

• Love it.

Thanks for the heads up on Basketball Jones. Wow never heard of that before. Looked it up on Youtube. Kinda ill.

that shit is over my head. goddamn hippies.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i like to watch eve.

• Please do not use the words Forrest Gump and Being There in the same sentence.

For real. I loved the book and I really liked the movie too. I was glad I read the book first though.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Major appreciation. This was a formative movie for me. It was one of my dad's favorites and he was always referencing it and borrowing jokes from it years before I even saw it and could know what he was talking about. When I was about ten, I read the Mort Drucker-illustrated parody of it in Mad Magazine, "Being Not All There" and was intrigued at finally locating the source of my dad's humor. Shortly thereafter it popped up on TV and just seemed so next level. Since then, I've revisited it many times and it never disappoints.

• Please do not use the words Forrest Gump and Being There in the same sentence.

I would say closer to "Brother From Another Planet", which is another perfect one in my opinion. That movie still slays, musta come out right about the same time. Also has some great soundtrack music.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I would say closer to "Brother From Another Planet", which is another perfect one in my opinion. That movie still slays, musta come out right about the same time. Also has some great soundtrack music.

"He sat in the death chair"!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"He sat in the death chair"!!!

"Moon Germs n shit"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    good book also...

But different, right? It's told from Chance's perspective?

Love both the book and the movie. Read the book about 2 years back, and I don't think it's told in the first person, if that's what you're saying.

Hal Ashby had quite a run going there in the late 60s, early 70s. I think it's still hard to track down, but don't sleep on The Landlord if you can find it!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Love both the book and the movie.

Yes, but I have to say the movie took on a different feel after seeing that doc on Sellers that his son did. Chance seemed a much darker character...considering Kosinski's life, more so.

• Love it.

Not saying they are even on the same level, just pointing out the similarities between the main characters.

Last time I watched Being There, as soon as I heard the Basketball Jones playing from the Limo TV, I went and searched for the MP3.