Pioneer SVM-1000 Is this where shit is headed?

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I mean, it's cool for a showcase or ur intro at the beginning of the night. But could any DJ use this shit all night?http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/svm_1000/dj-b...ahhs-320447.phpWatching the video makes me think no one in the club would be dancing all night.

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Overpriced crap. I've still never seen the DVJs used well at a show - Z-Trip, Mike Relm, i.e.Merg all used em and no matter what it came out gimmicky. I liked the parts of their sets where they just played video in the background and focused on the music.

The whole idea that real DJs are going to simultaneously control audio and video is outlandish IMO. Every show I've seen where they've done it right, the video element has been controlled and designed by someone else, or brought in in some more automated way by the DJ. All you really need is a reliable system to match the audio to the visual elements - not some all-in-one mega mixer. This Pioneer stuff is for hobbyists with too much money to blow - plus, those digital Pioneer mixers sound like crap.

Someone prove me wrong and show me a video of someone scratching on a DVJ that is actually dope.

B/W

DJ ROONIE G

• This is DJ Roonie G demonstrating Pioneer's new SVM-1000 mixer at the launch event last night, which brought out big names in electronic music like BT and Tommy Lee[/b].

the thing about video mixing is that there is no such thing as a smooth overlap. With audio you can blend multiple sources and and it can sound good. Overlapping video looks like doo doo, so all you ever see is weird cut up shit like that.

video mixes should be left for people with final cut. A dvd of weird shit is fine, but you don't need someone doing that live in a dance club. It's so jarring.

• Overpriced crap. I've still never seen the DVJs used well at a show - Z-Trip, Mike Relm, i.e.Merg all used em and no matter what it came out gimmicky.

mike relm is dope. this roonie g video was painful, except for that last 10 seconds when he was bringing in "Dead Wrong" over the lenny kravitz loop...not saying that was a match made in heaven, but i can see crowds flipping out for a live video blend/mix. these video djs aren't gonna work in most places, but in a big club, i'd be a fan if the dj was able to add more to the mix then just "mixing".

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Overpriced crap. I've still never seen the DVJs used well at a show - Z-Trip, Mike Relm, i.e.Merg all used em and no matter what it came out gimmicky.

mike relm is dope.

Yeah, agreed, I really liked his show recently, but all I'm saying is that the best parts were when he would let the videos play and focus on the music.

I think that video mixing CAN be done properly, but it needs a ton of preparation and planning even for just a few minutes. Shadow's video has always been real on point every time I've seen him perform.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Tommy Lee[/b].

HAHA... I was thinking the same thing.

Whats the price on this. Anyone know? In anycase, What a waste of money.

• It's not so much dvd scratching, but Hexstatic do an amazing show using Cold Cut's VJamm software. It's midi synced so it all works well.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Embrace technology or get left in the dust!!!!!!!!!!

That's the credo, right?

• The mixer hooks up to special DVD players that scratch DVDs the same way your grandma used to scratch records![/b]

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Embrace technology or get left in the dust!!!!!!!!!!

That's the credo, right?

Or hold out for Microwave's video upgrade

• snosno 332 Posts
    The last time I saw some VJs at a fancy club in Tokyo doing so-called visuals, she has the whole she-bang: Pioneer DVDJ x 2, Korg Kaoss Entrancer and Video mixer, the end result still looks like a simple vector shape screen saver on an old Win ME PC.
    One can do much more with a decent VJ software and a midi controller. Heck, you might even be able to do some interesting abstract joints just using the visualisation tool on an Xbox 360 music jukebox where you can switch visuals with the LB and RB buttons in sync to changes in music.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I DJed a big party last week with a bunch of bands and one performer had a mixed acoustic/electronic drum kit where most of the pads triggered video or audio loops. I think VJamm was involved. Anyway, since drummers are usually better at keeping a beat than DJs, it actually all made sense. Nice use of Ray Charles What'd I Say video cut up with braekz.

Another dude there looked like he had dildo triggering video. Is that possible?

Anyway, I am down as long as I can just spin vinyl in between.

This one one of them... reading his blog it looks like Ayres had a gig with him as well.

DVJ Set @ Highline Ballroom NYC

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Anyway, I am down as long as I can just spin vinyl in between.

Totally. I still like records.