mind blowing images related

SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
"An anthropological study of African skinhead fashion from the early seventies." For some reason the idea that this scene existed blows my mind, much less the photographic evidence.

Comments

• "An anthropological study of African skinhead fashion from the early seventies."

For some reason the idea that this scene existed blows my mind, much less the photographic evidence.

beautiful images, but i think this is supposed to look as if such a scene existed - they are new photos. or maybe they are wearing vintage fashions?

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    That's an amazing series. Thanks for linking it. Although I don't have any evidence as to whether there was such a movement at some point in Africa, it wouldn't come as a surprise if that was the case.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I am pretty much sure that these pictures are fake and were in fact shot recently in the US. Smart and interesting idea. Old African pictures from the 70s have an entirely different look though and the overall styling is too perfect. Clothes and especially shoes are way too clean.

No way this shit is real.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Can't be real cause one of the kids has some new shoes on (new as in they didn't make them back in 1972.)

Great photos though and the stylist is really good.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "An anthropological study of African skinhead fashion from the early seventies."

For some reason the idea that this scene existed blows my mind, much less the photographic evidence.

beautiful images, but i think this is supposed to look as if such a scene existed - they are new photos. or maybe they are wearing vintage fashions?

The idea of a Nigerian skinhead scene is fascinating, but, great as those photos look, no way are they from the 1970s. In those days, DMs came in black or oxblood, and that was it. The look in that one photo with the girl wearing white DMs, the black MA-1 and the long-at-the-sides fringe/bangs is a 1980s look. Besides, o.g. skinhead girls used to rock monkeyboots rather than DMs.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I've seen Kodak Safety film before, and it is certainly from the period, but I've never seen it with a year on it before.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I am more a fan of the Easter Island Psychobilly/Rat Scooter movement, meself, like. It doesn't actually exist but the idea carries more gravitas that the Nigerian Skinheadz. pffft!

I think Paul King ruined it for hardcore DMers. Tartan my arse. I still rock a pair of DM steel-capper shoes a la Billy Bragg from time to time. Just cos no one else does.

• "An anthropological study of African skinhead fashion from the early seventies."

The idea of a Nigerian skinhead scene is fascinating, but, great as those photos look, no way are they from the 1970s. In those days, DMs came in black or oxblood, and that was it. The look in that one photo with the girl wearing white DMs, the black MA-1 and the long-at-the-sides fringe/bangs is a 1980s look. Besides, o.g. skinhead girls used to rock monkeyboots rather than DMs.

Looking back at these pictures I can see that you are right, this is a conceptual project about an imaginary scene. I guess I was surfing in gullible mode. I still admire the concept, however.

• And for the record I would love to see some pictures of the 1960s Peruvian rockabilly scene, or the 1970s Tibetan teddy boys. I don't care if they're real or not.