Freeez

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Yo!Some tend to hate on I.O.U.But can anyone hate on Southern Freeez?Was there ever an instrumental for this track??

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    This is the first time ive ever heard this tune and i freekin' love it.
    Whats the story here?

• that song came out around 1980 but really didn't take off until later in 1981 or 1982. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.Yes I beileve there is an instrumental 12 inch.

• PAGING CARDOVA AND U-TERN

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Classic UK jazz-funk. Always liked this song, always got plays in the club.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    PAGING CARDOVA AND U-TERN

OR DOC!

But yeah. I remember playing out this chune in the late 80's & early 90's. I probably haven't heard it in over 10 years, but it just came on my random track playlist and I was groovin'

I.O.U. was the SMASH, but this was the JAM!!!

In the Top Of The Pops vid

Does the keyboardist remind anyone of Linus from Charlie Brown when he gets down???

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    What is up with YT clips like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geKLdWOtVLE

Ive seen these types of clips before.
    Can these somehow not be pulled?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    this is the first time i've heard this song...

how about "can't keep my love", that's probably my favorite freeez song.

• In the Top Of The Pops vid

Does the keyboardist remind anyone of Linus from Charlie Brown when he gets down???

kinda suspect though since I don't hear any crazy keyboard jamming while his fingers fly. also, where's the mic for the singer? were they just not even trying to hide the lip-synch back then?

but more importantly, thanks for schooling me on two songs that I will now promptly aquire.

In the Top Of The Pops vid

kinda suspect though since I don't hear any crazy keyboard jamming while his fingers fly. also, where's the mic for the singer? were they just not even trying to hide the lip-synch back then?

but more importantly, thanks for schooling me on two songs that I will now promptly aquire.

It's top Of The Pops. They are the Kings of the lip sync performances.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    does anyone have a nice clean MP3 of this to post???

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    But can anyone hate on Southern Freeez?
    they bet' not.

here's a nice mp3...

06 southern freeez.mp3 - 7.94MB

NOW GIMME THE INSTRUMENTAL!!

Was there ever an instrumental for this track??

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    The whole LP is solid. UK brim hat discofunkfusion. Get familiar.

"Flying High" is my other fave. This reminds me that I need those tunes on 12".

NB: Avoid the '84 re-pack/re-mix version called "Anti-Freez". Probably made as an I.O.U cash-in.

Gated 'verb for dayz.

• Oh man that???s a nice tune.
    Must be honest I???m almost 37 years old and from England but I don???t remember hearing that track before.
    Definitely going to buy this record when I see it.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    that song came out around 1980 but really didn't take off until later in 1981 or 1982. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.Yes I believe there is an instrumental 12 inch.

Yes, I have an instrumental version but on the flip of a 7", not on a 12". The 12" has some kind of club/extended mix on one side and then the album version on the other side. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.

Yes, I have an instrumental version but on the flip of a 7", not on a 12". The 12" has some kind of club/extended mix on one side and then the album version on the other side. I'll see if I can find it when I get home.
    thanks

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Southern Freeez is

I've always liked IOU as well. Back in the day I thought I found it once, but it was that crappy-ass EBN ONZ AEIOU track.

• great to see a thread on this.. BIG with the UK massive (naturally).. was an anthem for all your acid jazz / rare groove massive back in the day (the kind of thing they'd play next to "light of the world"..

i was at a warehouse party in east london, with a skateboard ramp, a few weeks back, and we were doin' the southern freezzzzzzzz.. all night

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Readheadz who know the actual "Southern Freeze" dance plaese to drop knowledge of said moves. Did it (the dance) actually exist? (I was just too young to have clubbed it at the time, never mind the taxi fare down "South" to experience said "Freeze").

I have asked real-life cock-er-knees but they weren't wise to it. So like a rare-groove-Neo, the question has dominated my thoughts day and night for many years... (well a bit). Yes. The question...

"What is the Southern Freeze?"

Always goes well with Hi-Tension's "Hi-Tension" (the orignal "Bless the funk" sample source IIRC)

• can't say I'm too up on the brit funk moves of the day.. I'm also far too young, i have some older teachers tho

UK jazz dance legend Seymour could probably show you how to do it.. all the uk dances were about crazy leg work and wild moves. and of course, a handkerchief to mop your prefusely sweating brow

• oh yeah maybe some one knows how the british hustle (more HiTension) varies from the US version

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    When Travolta and his bird are rehearsing in a dance studio for the dance contest in "Saturday Night Fever", they bust the "British Hustle" IIRC.

No doubt Travolta has more moves than Gary Kasparov.

that song came out around 1980 but really didn't take off until later in 1981 or 1982. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.Yes I believe there is an instrumental 12 inch.

Man, I would really dig this.

THX

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Nice tune. At first i thought this thread was about this guy

Old school writer from copenhagen, one of the first guys to hit trains in Europe...

Man, I would really dig this.

THX

• Damn this song has been on blast in my ipod for a couple months now.
    Shit, don't remember this track when I was younger. But I will say something that I don't hear alot of people say. In the 80's I think around 60 to 80% of the music that was hot came from the Brit's.

SouthernFReeez is just so good!!!!!