So who here has an SP1200?

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Yesterday was MPC day; today is for the SP.

Comments

• I've got an SP-12 and it has changed my life.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i have the most fun makin beats on that machine
    i wouldnt mind havin one in my house again

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Well, If I end up moving out to Miami for 6 mos. I'll bring mine with me along with my DMX and my BMX! Lol....................... Serious too.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i have the most fun makin beats on that machine

Me too. It has really changed the way I make beats in some very significant ways, and it was definitely worth the (many years') wait to get the money to buy one.

• i have the most fun makin beats on that machine

Me too. It has really changed the way I make beats in some very significant ways, and it was definitely worth the (many years') wait to get the money to buy one.

once I get my own place I might end up using mine....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I still haven't seen one of these in person.
    What's the going rate?

• damn u peeps got me itching for one. Does it make sense to use one now adays??

• I've had an sp1200 since 1999. easy to use, dope machine. I'd never get rid of it.

I still haven't seen one of these in person.
    What's the going rate?

I got mine off the 'bay for about $1500 on some Buy It Now steez, which seemed about right. You might find one for closer to a grand here and there, but eBay is the most common place you'll find one, and they always seem to get bid up over a grand pretty quickly.

And yes, it is absolutely worth it to get one if you can. Nothing does drums like an SP.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    Well, If I end up moving out to Miami for 6 mos. I'll bring mine with me along with my DMX and my BMX! Lol....................... Serious too.

let me know whats good with this
    been busy and havent hollered at dee in a minute

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Nothing does drums like an SP.

The truth. Don't get me wrong, I love my MPC, but for drums I find myself wanting that SP-1200 sound. I almost jumped on a SP-12 for $400 but just didn't have the money.

• I rock an SP with the S950!!!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Don't have one. Its looks so easy to use. Is it?

• Don't have one. Its looks so easy to use. Is it?

Yup, very easy to use. Kinda regret selling mine, but I really didn't work on it enough to justify keeping it.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I rock an SP with the S950!!!

Bingo! If you recall around like 95' when I got my S-950 and after spending an hour and half on the phone with dan the automater I still couldn't work that damn thing. I called you and had it up in running in about 10 minutes. I owe you thanks to this day for your tutoring.

I rock an SP with the S950!!!

I am jealous, though I'm also pretty happy with the SP and Pro Tools.

• my mellow sehmuel has an SP. he's gone traveling for at least a year... should've asked to look after it for him... fuck. i only thought about after he'd gone too.

he brought it back from NY in the early 90s and damaged the drive on the flight. had it about 10years before he got it fixed too, DAYUM. how could you have an SP all those years and not get it fixed before? crazy shit

• YEP. I love the thing. People say, these things are time consuming, but i think it's the quickest machine out there.

i find valve compression brings out the best in it.

i have the s950 too but haven't mastered that yet

kudos to all SPtwelvezerozero fans.. you're smarter than the mpc guys realise :P

• Lately my SP1200 has been acting up, after i play back something i sampled their is a humm sound that follows the sample and then it fades out. anyone know whats causing that?

• Lately my SP1200 has been acting up, after i play back something i sampled their is a humm sound that follows the sample and then it fades out. anyone know whats causing that?

Try asking here if you don't get an answer...

http://sp1200.myfastforum.org/index.php

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i`d honestly love to get one, but for the price they`re going for i`d rather buy some other equipment..
    but yes, nothing sounds like an SP.

• I rock an SP with the S950!!!

Bingo! If you recall around like 95' when I got my S-950 and after spending an hour and half on the phone with dan the automater I still couldn't work that damn thing. I called you and had it up in running in about 10 minutes. I owe you thanks to this day for your tutoring.

it's how we did and how we always will do!!! peoples for life!!!!

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Great article on the SP-1200 featuring Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, and Hank Shocklee:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0746,detrick,78335,22.

"Everything that you ever heard from me back in the day was the SP-1200. That machine made "Reminisce" [They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)], "Straighten It Out," "Shut 'Em Down," "Jump Around." When I made "Reminisce"???I had friend of mine that passed away, and it was a shock to the community. I was kind of depressed when I made it. And to this day, I can't believe I made it through, the way I was feeling. I guess it was for my boy. When I found the record by Tom Scott, basically I just heard something incredible that touched me and made me cry. It had such a beautiful bassline, and I started with that first. I found some other sounds and then heard some sax in there and used that. Next thing you know, I have a beautiful beat made. When I mixed the song down, I had Charlie Brown from Leaders of the New School in the session with me, and we all just started crying."

-- Pete Rock

• Great article on the SP-1200 featuring Pete Rock, Lord Finesse, and Hank Shocklee:

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0746,detrick,78335,22.

"Everything that you ever heard from me back in the day was the SP-1200. That machine made "Reminisce" [They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)], "Straighten It Out," "Shut 'Em Down," "Jump Around." When I made "Reminisce"???I had friend of mine that passed away, and it was a shock to the community. I was kind of depressed when I made it. And to this day, I can't believe I made it through, the way I was feeling. I guess it was for my boy. When I found the record by Tom Scott, basically I just heard something incredible that touched me and made me cry. It had such a beautiful bassline, and I started with that first. I found some other sounds and then heard some sax in there and used that. Next thing you know, I have a beautiful beat made. When I mixed the song down, I had Charlie Brown from Leaders of the New School in the session with me, and we all just started crying."

-- Pete Rock

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0746,detrick,78335,22.html

• (see: my user name)

i

swear

by

mine.

peace.