Anyone been to TOKYO over the last year?

cardovacardova 743 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
I was a year ago, got the record map book and made fairly thorough notes while doing the rounds.I'm going back soon, but heard a few of the specialty stores closed down. Anyone know which ones?

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    well not a collectro store, but I am pretty sure Manhattan Records has closed recently. They being one of the biggest retailers of new releases in Shibuya.

• Manhattan was the one with no shelves but display walls upon display walls of new releases and a dj in the back right?

• well not a collectro store, but I am pretty sure Manhattan Records has closed recently. They being one of the biggest retailers of new releases in Shibuya.

I was in Tokyo roughly a month ago and Manhattan Records was alive and kickin. They had a pretty large in store display for Just Blaze's 90's flava mix cd in the center of the store.

Although I was only really checkin for the hip hop spots, the only store that I found closed from a year ago was Hi Hat Records. 4DR still had a sign on the door but I never saw the shop open.

Have fun out in Tokyo.

M-SMOOTH

• Lil dude here asking a question -

where do I cop the record map book? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

• I found it a bit of a task to find, just ask around at stores. It's a red & white cover, some 200 pages. The pronounciation is "lekod map-o" or thereabouts.

• Cool, thanks. I will ask around. Any help making Tokyo a little less bewildering for a first-time visitor will be good.

• It's not that bewildering really. It's the biggest city in the world, but still everything works well and the people are generally very friendly. I'd advice to get familiar with the massive subway & train system asap. I've only been thre once, I'm sure there are people here with more experience.

• Manhattan was the one with no shelves but display walls upon display walls of new releases and a dj in the back right?

No, that's DMR, which is still around.
    Manhattan is still open as well...
    Dunno what would have closed back there in Udagawa-Cho other than ZEST about a year ago, but that was mainly new indie and euro stuff.
    Have you got a gig in town?

Thanks.

I went twice in Tokyo and always found it in Tower Records. The people out there will dig in the books stock for hours if needed.

Thanks.

I *think* I got mine at Disk Union.

• 1st books in Shibuya is always a fairly easy place to find it.
    I mean the store is huge and you will probably have to ask the staff where it is but they will be very helpfull.

1st books is a great place to go and check out anyway, I dont think we have anything like it in the UK.

• I dont think we have anything like it in the UK.

For those who never went in Tokyo, this is pretty the same for everything!

• Have you got a gig in town?

No, I wish I had though.
    Just hanging out... spending a lot more than I should I'm afraid.

• Thanks everyone for the great advice, I should have no problem finding the record shop book now. I hear you on getting familiar with the trains; I know the people will be very friendly.

Verrry curious about the reggae/dancehall culture there. Talked to a guy from Dragon Sound who told me tales of a couple thousand people doing the Passa Passa at a dance. Apparently a trip to Osaka is warranted (the biggest city in terms of soundsystem stuff).

• What's a good place to get more affordably priced records in Tokyo? Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stores have mad heat but shit is expensive. Anyplace where I can decent shit that doesn't start at 30 American?

I went to some spot with a big-ass gorilla in the front and I pulled some cool records (O.G. copy of Ruff Draft and the Steve Spacek Eve joint) for cheap.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Anyone know of a great Ryokan to stay at? I'm headed out there in April. I have my eye on one place. But any strutters got nice spots?

• Make sure to check out Disk Union in Shibuya, my favorite record store in Tokyo. Everytime I'm in town I find some good stuff there.

If you wanna go clubbing, check out the "Wah Wah" night at The Room every Sunday, hosted by Daisuke Kuroda (my favorite Funk DJ in the world!!). I played that night myself, and it's a lot of fun. People start hanging out there at 6pm and it's open till 1am.

Also check out the club night "In Business" at Club Asia. It's only every other month, but I think it's Tokyo's best Funk party. Osaka Monaurail play, and DJs like Daisuke Kuroda and Muro are residents. I think the next one is next week Saturday.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Funky Chicken Bar in Shibuya is great. It's a small place but offers Yakitori skewers, beer & funk and soul music all night.
    Also there is a great place in Ginza about a block up the street from the best sushi in all of tokyo -- Kyubei. My friend and I stumbbled upon the nightclub after eating sushi. Anyone know the name of this place? If I remember correctly you have to walk up stairs to get there and there are requests slips at every table. Great idea. The DJ was great -- spun soul, funk & disco. We had a blast that night.

• Thank you soulstrut.

• Jahlarry if you find yourself in Kyoto check out the rub a dub bar- japan's oldest and smallest (that's saying alot) bar dedicated to all things reggae. Basement stlye, super old rums, weirdo fruity cocktails and a truly great staff. The bar itself fits literally like like 4 or 5 people and a dance floor for maybe the same amount. Favorite bar in the whole world.

http://www.jahworks.org/music/features/kyoto.htm

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Verrry curious about the reggae/dancehall culture there. Talked to a guy from Dragon Sound who told me tales of a couple thousand people doing the Passa Passa at a dance. Apparently a trip to Osaka is warranted (the biggest city in terms of soundsystem stuff).

If reggae, dancehall, clash & dub is your thing I would highly recommend going to Osaka, best try and go during the summer months as all the Japanese soundsystems head down for all the festivals. Every weekend you are spoiled for choice as all the clubs host different events, it's almost like a different clash every weekend. Tons of forign artists tour through during the summer as well. Plus it's super hot so all the ladies are wearing minimum clothing and they know all the latest dances as well!
    I've never been during winter but I've heard everything moves in doors.

• What's a good place to get more affordably priced records in Tokyo? Don't get me wrong, a lot of the stores have mad heat but shit is expensive. Anyplace where I can decent shit that doesn't start at 30 American?

I went to some spot with a big-ass gorilla in the front and I pulled some cool records (O.G. copy of Ruff Draft and the Steve Spacek Eve joint) for cheap.

If you don't have a car to get out to "hard-off" stores (ask FUnkyMimizu) or don't know the "recycle shops" around the city (usually best by bicycle and located on the major thuroughfares, your diggin' will be relegated to record shops--which is probably a good thing depending what you're after.

I recommend Recohan in Shibuya, Disk Union in Shinjuku (soul & blues one), Disc Flash Ranch in Shimokita, Disk Union in Shimokita, Rare in Kichijoji, Banana in Kichijoji, and this tiny little place in Nishi-Ogikubo.

• My face is thoroughly melted. Thanks for all the great tips! I wish I was going to be there during warmer weather, but I'll have to settle for December in Osaka, and I'm only going there for one weekend. I will definitely check out the indoor scene there though. That bar in Kyoto sounds really great, I hope to do a couple of days in that city. And now I have a basic idea of where to dig in Tokyo for all types of records. I'll even bring a few reggae trades, we'll see how I do.

Wanted to post a clip of some nice rub-a-dub by Sugar Minott on Youth Promotion by way of thanking soulstrut massive -

Informer

Wicked little cut on the same riddim as Sensee Party by Eek-a-Mouse.

• For all my Japan Strutters, here are the dates my boy kero and I will be performing. Sorry for the lack of names of the actual clubs, I can't read Japanese.

Dec 7 2007 10:00P
    JAPAN TOUR - Asahikawa Asahikawa
    Dec 8 2007 8:00P
    JAPAN TOUR - Yamaguchi Yamaguchi
    Dec 10 2007 10:00P
    Free Style Bar Blue, Shiga Shiga, Kyoto
    Dec 13 2007 10:00P
    - TOKYO Tokyo
    Dec 14 2007 10:00P
    Shizuoka

Holler for guest list or whateva whateva whateva