laptop headphone-out...really noisy?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
whats the deal with this? including the laptop im currently using, it seems like just about every (PC, at least) laptop ive ever used has a really noisy headphone out port...i dont mean hissy, i mean like, a constant low-volume stream of data noise. its kinda annoying and im halfway considering getting an external soundcard. whats the deal with this? just poor design or what? my coworker has a BRAND NEW top-of-the-line HP laptop that experiences this same problem.

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Laptop headphone jacks are usually very tiny cheap parts. Most big manufacturers will use super cheap parts to keep the costs affordable. They wear out for alot of people. My laptops jacks are completly done, but it's cheaper just to pick up a 20 buck usb soundcard as a replacement.

- spidey

• the only computer i had that didnt do this was my '98 imac. i was actually able to output my whole 1st record's mixes that way, straight out the headphone out.

the data noise is from a cheap (normal) soundcard, which most pc laptops come standard with. this is why you need a usb or firewire soundcard of some sort to pump clean (for recording) audio in and out of a laptop set up.

i suppose if you got a tricked out laptop from like alienware or some audio recording friendly company, it could have a sweet clean soundcard already in it. But the beauty of the firewire / usb 2.0 stuff is the ability to run multiple inputs in at the same time, to their own separate tracks in your recording software.

• go into the volume control panel (double click the speaker in the system tray on control panel-sounds) and make sure you've muted all the shit like mic and midi and other things. then turn down all the volumes (master, wave, cd-audio) and then turn down the volume using the actual buttons on the keyboard if there are any. then turn master up to 90% and slowly increase "wave" and see if the problem persists.

usually the problem is one of the volumes is too high or other inputs you don't use aren't muted. but many laptops have POS soundcards and crappy noisy wiring.

try muting all but wave and starting with every volume all the way down to see if running it at a lower volume one of them sorts it out. sometimes maxing out "master" and running the keyboard governed volume at 50% solves that problem. they fight with each other and sometimes just backing one of them off sorts it out.

be sure to mute everything but wave and cd-audio.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    see if it continues when running on battery and not plugged in. i had an old laptop that would be like that because of the power supply

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i guarantee if you put this on your laptops power plug that will go away.

works like a charm.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

works like a charm.

of course, a ground life. why didnt i think of that?

thanks dude.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

works like a charm.

thanks dude.

no problem.

When i first started making beats on my laptop that shit drove me crazy. I spent like 4 hours the one day messing with the config, trying usb interfaces, all kinds of shit. Then i saw a ground lift laying on the floor in the studio and said fuck it and gave it a shot. That crazy data noise went right away. Now i keep a pack around the house at all times. good for home stereos, mixers, all kinds of shit that might be subject to ground loops or hum. Most of the time they fix it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

works like a charm.

thanks dude.

no problem.

When i first started making beats on my laptop that shit drove me crazy. I spent like 4 hours the one day messing with the config, trying usb interfaces, all kinds of shit. Then i saw a ground lift laying on the floor in the studio and said fuck it and gave it a shot. That crazy data noise went right away. Now i keep a pack around the house at all times. good for home stereos, mixers, all kinds of shit that might be subject to ground loops or hum. Most of the time they fix it.

i have mine plugged into one of those most of the time, i dont think it works on mine but thanks for the tip.