Soul Songs about School/Learning/College

kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Any recommendations? I've already got the Chuck Berry & Santo/Johnny versions of 'School Days,' and am looking for an apparent aretha version.Any other recommendations? Doing a TV piece on going Back to College this week, and am looking for some soul looks...Any help appreciated.

Comments

• got to get to school - the five quails

thats all i can think of rite now

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sam Cooke-Wonderful World

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    would Blowfly doing the ABC's count?

• Dizzy Gillespie - School Days

• would Blowfly doing the ABC's count?

hmm...not this one.

You keeping your head up with this strike? was reading LAWeekly this AM, and it was pretty interesting. I been slammed, but hope things stay on track for you work/life related....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don't Be A Dropout - James Brown
    School Is Out - Gary U.S. Bonds
    School Girl - The Five Royales

• oooh! i love us bonds!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    would Blowfly doing the ABC's count?

hmm...not this one.

You keeping your head up with this strike? was reading LAWeekly this AM, and it was pretty interesting. I been slammed, but hope things stay on track for you work/life related....

Yeah I meant to send you an e-mail and I'll probably still do so, but I got a job working back at E! doing a couple holiday specials. Ironically enough I was working in the writers office in hopes of doing something that may eventually get my name on a script, first thing they have me do back at E! is prepare some reality/ news scripts; first time I've ever been asked to do so by any network or show. Because its not technically for a "scripted" show it falls under safe/ non-scab work.

Plenty of friends are out there picketing and those who were unemployed at the moment can no longer get their unemployment checks. I especially feel for those people.

back to the topic at hand

maybe its too obvious but Jackson 5's ABC?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Raydio - Goin' Thru School And Love

Will that work?

• Pixies - "U mass"?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Oh Miss, I got one!

John Lee Hooker - Homework (although it's actually aeuphemism)

• Word, Guz...Glad you got some work, and yes, pity the unemployed. That is truly scary...Sad to think that, years from now, there will be many people who look back on their career, and think, "i was on a good path, until the Writer's Strike of 2007." I understand this is tres important for the longterm, but it is gonna cost in the short run...

Anyway, there are no bad suggestions. We're gonna take all these into the edit room tomorrow, and see what works. Thanks for the input, y'all, and keep 'em comin!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sam Cooke-Wonderful World

Everyone's #1. Also:

The Falcons - The Teacher (UA)
    The Coasters - Charlie Brown (Atlantic)
    Ripples and Waves - Let Me Carry Your School Books (Steeltown)
    The Sylvers - High School Dance (Capitol)

...and about every third or fourth Jackson 5 single.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Also:

Anyone have the entire mp3? I don't happen to have one of the 5,000 OGs pressed.

• Steely Dan: My Old School, Reeling in the Years

that latin soul tune where the guy talks about spending his nights at vocational school

• billy boy, "school time" (bluesville)
    young jessie, "teacher gimmmie back" (mercury)
    arabians, "cool school" (mary jane)
    zircons, "get up and go to school" (federal)
    richard knight, "back to school" (allen)

• gene chandler and barbara acklin - from the teacher to the preacher
    ronnie mcneir - sitting in my class (track starts out with kids bickering and then a school bell ringing)
    darrow fletcher - my young misery

• Sam, Erv & Tom - Soul Teacher

• Cindy & the Playmates - "Now that School is Through"